• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Ten Key Spider-Man issues

81 posts in this topic

I think it's quite telling that on all the posts before mine, there are very, very few references to issues after #300, which was published in 1987 if memory serves me well. That was 25 years ago. That tells us quite a bit of what Marvel hasn't done in moving the Spidey mythos forward -- just a lot of publicity stunts and gimmicks.

I don't know if I completely agree with that. It's not so much what hasn't happened in the last 25 years, but what happened in the first 25, relative to making a top-10 list. There are some HUGE books (ASM 2, ASM 6, ASM 15, ASM 20, ASM 25, ASM 31, ASM 129, ASM 238, ASM 252) that aren't easy consensus top-10's. Spidey's just had a ton of significant issues, and it's really hard to say that some books will hold up to the test of time.

The last 25 years has been a lot of self-parody and ridiculous publicity-driven story lines to drive up sales. There haven't been a lot of compelling, original characters (good guy or bad guy) with good stories behind the characters. It's been disappointing. More than anything I would like to see the mythos evolve to a point that we all look at, say, 4 or 5 issues from the last 10 years and think, that's absolutely a classic or absolutely a must-have. I see your point -- that the key characters built over the first 25 years necessitate having to give them story time in the last 25 years. I submit that the writers didn't need to do that, nor did they need to come up with ridiculous stuff. Superior Spider-man is a perfect example of all that's been going in the wrong direction the last 25 years.

It depends on what standard you're holding them to. In terms of originality, I don't know if there's a whole lot there that's "new" but, again, Spider-Man has a tremendously rich history from which to draw. With the exception of Uncle Ben and Gwen, the fact that no one dies and/or stays dead kind of lessens the need for innovation.

But, at the same time, if I were to have to submit a list of (Amazing) Spider-Man keys post #300 that may end up keys (story driven, of course), I'd submit:

ASM 361 - First Carnage, an incredibly popular villain.

ASM 545 - The reboot. While not as well written, certainly evokes memories of some of the DC 80's reboots like Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow. Plus it's also the first appearance of Carlie Cooper who is/was a love interest and may be the key to catching "Superior."

ASM 568/569 (I don't know which is considered the "first") - Eddie Brock as Anti-Venom.

ASM 648 - "New" Hobgoblin. "Big time" starts, Peter's life changes considerably (horizon labs)

ASM 654 - Flash as Venom / Death of Marla Jameson.

ASM 700 - Not because of the Superior Stuff (because that seems short lived) but Doc Ock's body is dead.

I'd take #9 off the list and put either #39 or #43.

#39 has the revelation of Green Goblin's identity and the frist Romita art on the book.

#43 is Peter & Mj's first date.

Or you could even put the infamous Master Planner Saga (#31-33) instead of #9.

I think it's quite telling that on all the posts before mine, there are very, very few references to issues after #300, which was published in 1987 if memory serves me well. That was 25 years ago. That tells us quite a bit of what Marvel hasn't done in moving the Spidey mythos forward -- just a lot of publicity stunts and gimmicks.

I don't know if I completely agree with that. It's not so much what hasn't happened in the last 25 years, but what happened in the first 25, relative to making a top-10 list. There are some HUGE books (ASM 2, ASM 6, ASM 15, ASM 20, ASM 25, ASM 31, ASM 129, ASM 238, ASM 252) that aren't easy consensus top-10's. Spidey's just had a ton of significant issues, and it's really hard to say that some books will hold up to the test of time.

The last 25 years has been a lot of self-parody and ridiculous publicity-driven story lines to drive up sales. There haven't been a lot of compelling, original characters (good guy or bad guy) with good stories behind the characters. It's been disappointing. More than anything I would like to see the mythos evolve to a point that we all look at, say, 4 or 5 issues from the last 10 years and think, that's absolutely a classic or absolutely a must-have. I see your point -- that the key characters built over the first 25 years necessitate having to give them story time in the last 25 years. I submit that the writers didn't need to do that, nor did they need to come up with ridiculous stuff. Superior Spider-man is a perfect example of all that's been going in the wrong direction the last 25 years.

It depends on what standard you're holding them to. In terms of originality, I don't know if there's a whole lot there that's "new" but, again, Spider-Man has a tremendously rich history from which to draw. With the exception of Uncle Ben and Gwen, the fact that no one dies and/or stays dead kind of lessens the need for innovation.

But, at the same time, if I were to have to submit a list of (Amazing) Spider-Man keys post #300 that may end up keys (story driven, of course), I'd submit:

ASM 545 - The reboot. While not as well written, certainly evokes memories of some of the DC 80's reboots like Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow. Plus it's also the first appearance of Carlie Cooper who is/was a love interest and may be the key to catching "Superior."

ASM 568/569 (I don't know which is considered the "first") - Eddie Brock as Anti-Venom.

ASM 648 - "New" Hobgoblin. "Big time" starts, Peter's life changes considerably (horizon labs)

ASM 700 - Not because of the Superior Stuff (because that seems short lived) but Doc Ock's body is dead.

Good list of post-300s, but here lies the problem: #361 (Carnage), #568 (Anti-Venom), #648 (Hobby reboot), and #654 (new venom) are basically self-parodies in some fashion or other. I would add (I better duck here under a table) the last issue of One More Day. Forget the #. That was a very polarizing book and set into motion much of the last 5 years of the mythos while in a sense undoing the prior 15 or so post-MJ marriage years.

Good list of post-300s, but here lies the problem: #361 (Carnage), #568 (Anti-Venom), #648 (Hobby reboot), and #654 (new venom) are basically self-parodies in some fashion or other. I would add (I better duck here under a table) the last issue of One More Day. Forget the #. That was a very polarizing book and set into motion much of the last 5 years of the mythos while in a sense undoing the prior 15 or so post-MJ marriage years.

That's ASM 545. The deal with the devil issue.

As far as the parody stuff goes, I guess I agree. To echo what I said before, there's just too much of a rich history to need to do a lot. The only thing they've done that's drastic that seems to have any chance of lasting is the Eddie Brock / Flash Thompson stuff. That Eddie hasn't been Venom in 4(?) years and that Flash has been Venom for 2 kind of speaks to this being long-term.

To be sure, there are some good stories in here in the last five years. I liked the new Rhino arc. I liked the Lizard / Billy Connors arc a lot. I even enjoyed Ends of the Earth.

Not a whole lot of "new" but that doesn't mean it's been all bad or self parody. I just think the first 25 years of Spidey were so incredible and innovative that it's almost unfair to compare anything else to it.

or another way to put it, they are all derivative of the first Venom (or Hobgoblin)

Like that the list included the ASM Annual #1, lot of fans and readers forget this early gem. It's probably Ditko's best cover, remember Jack Kirby did the cover for AF #15. Very few of Ditko's covers popped or had great eye appeal outside of #3,12,28,and 33. Amazing Spider-Man started having some of the best covers once Romita Sr took over.

Also you have to think of the inclusion of Electro on this list is that Electro first appeared in #9, he wouldn't appear in Amazing Spider-Man again until issue #82. Doesn't really scream popularity or fan demand to see him again, when the character had such a long absence as a threat.

While other characters like Sandman, Kraven, Lizard,Vulture, Green Goblin & Doc Ock all appeared multiple times before Electro even had his 2nd appearance in the book.

Still a good list, I would've just excluded #9.

Anybody that doesn't include #31 as one of the top ten keys simply doesn't know enough about the history of the character. Gwen Stacy is the character that most defines issues 31 - 150. Harry Osborn is Peter's best friend for 250 issues and turns into ones of his greatest foes.

I assumed #9 was included because of movie hype.

If so, it's bad form then.

Rhino is also rumored to be in the new movie as well. So where is #41?

I know there is personal bias in list like these as well, so not everyone would agree on all list. Still a pretty good list. Good thing they didn't include the 90's Clone Saga. lol

Anybody that doesn't include #31 as one of the top ten keys simply doesn't know enough about the history of the character. Gwen Stacy is the character that most defines issues 31 - 150. Harry Osborn is Peter's best friend for 250 issues and turns into ones of his greatest foes.

Good thing with Spidey is there are so many top 10 worthy issues. Ask 100 fans you will get 100 different responses.

I debate my buddies all the time saying Gwen Stacy was more important to the Spider-Man character dead than alive. So while #31 is awesome, it kicks off the Master Planner Saga, introduces Gwen, Harry & Miles Warren, I think #121 is Gwen's most important issue to the Spidey mythos.

31 and 39 is a must have agreed

Huge book, enormously popular, but does it mean as much if she didn't die?

Sorry comic master - I will consult your expertise before doing another article

You did ask for our opinions... :blahblah:

All joking and ribbing aside it's a pretty spot on list besides #9.

Sorry comic master - I will consult your expertise before doing another article

You did ask for our opinions... :blahblah:

All joking and ribbing aside it's a pretty spot on list besides #9.

Yeah I receive some great suggestions - you guys are awesome.. :headbang: