• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long Term Value of 1985-1995 Comics

49 posts in this topic

EXACTLY.....once they started with all that hokey,neon,super duper warrior, toy I stopped collecting as well. I enjoyed the first 30 issues the most so thats what Im trying tocollect in 9.8s.

I don't think that book quality (writing, art, etc) had as much to do with people jumping off of comics as much as the hoarding and price gauging. In fact, I think Wizard did more to kill comics than anything else. They turned the hobby into a poor man's stock market. Since the sportscard market had already exploded, alot of those collectors jumped into comics just for the money. They never even read the books, but they would buy multiple copies of anything Wizard told them to. And as soon as Wizard pegged a book as a poor investment, the book was destroyed. Take the Spidey/clone story. I knew about 3 dozen regular spidey subscribers (myself included) and when the clone saga came out, not one of them didn't like the storyline. But as soon as Wizard started trashing it, some of them were almost too embarrased to buy the books (even though they really wanted to know what was happenning).

So just to follow up, I have decided that for the most part I am going to keep the comic books that I have. Yes, that means all 20 copies of X-Force 1, 5 copies o Punisher 21, etc.

After all this discussion and what not, I think that I am just going to post stuff when Ebay does a special free listing day or something of that nature, and then only if books are handy. Otherwise, it's just not worth it.

Just in terms of the time to get the HTML down, the time required to pack items and go to the post office, etc. for maybe the 75 cents that these books would bring (and that's being incredibly generous) it's just not worth it. I would rather spend the time doing something else. Plus, I think I am also going to go through that box and donate the books in less than VF+ condition as they are really never going to be worth anything. I donated a whole bunch of books last year and got a sweet tax deduction, I might just do that every year with the lesser dupes.

Thanks to all for the input and advice,

DAM