• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One Week to ECCC

18 posts in this topic

Or Am I Really Counting the Days?

I verified my flight making sure everything is up to snuff. I double checked how much money I have, and well, it's not enough. I wrote up an invoice for my ASM #129 using the quickest service possible. I cracked the slabs I needed to, and I verified that my books are still in the graded status. Although I did check two other invoices, one is also in the grading room while another is in the encapsulation process. That's right only four more months to go, OK I jest. I'm actually afraid that when I'm away at the con is when they will be delivered.

I also made a goal for myself this year, in fact I made it just now as I am writing this and although I thought about this before, it was always on the back burner smoldering, much like my parents cooking. As I read that last sentence I realize my brain is friend because I don't know if I am saying they were cooking on the back burner or they are cooking. It reminds me of the sentence structure between "They fed their dog bones, or they fed their dog, Bones. Anyway, I digress and I refuse to give myself a grammar lesson at 4:36 in the morning, especially when I am craving waffles.

I have two high grade Amazing Spider-Man's in a 9.6. I have decided to get a few more. As Much as I love Daredevil and wish I had issues #158 and #168 in a 9.8 I have decided to first get the other issues of Amazing Spider-Man from #119 to #129. Fortunately I already have two of these in a 9.6, issues #127 and #129. Oh, did I mention I want them all signed. Yes there is the chance that after I get Gerry Conway's signature on t that it could drop, but I am OK with that. It's not a book I ever plan on selling. This book and I have a history and I like that history, and as a friend would say "Karma". I just hope I have good karma.

I have been checking out some 9.6's on eBay, two of them I would pick up right away if it wasn't for the fact I am leaving for ECCC soon. Maybe I'll just find one there. Either way...

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

http://ashotofcomics.blogspot.com/2013/02/reading-books-last-roundabout-review.html

13096.JPG

See more journals by Tnerb

Flying across the country, meeting new friends you know from this community, attending a major Con for the first time, getting your favorite books signed, experiencing new sights, sounds, tastes, smells, and hunting down new books for your collection. That sounds so boring...I wish I could join you!

sig.jpg

Hey T,

Have a good trip. I envy you. I really wanted to get some stuff signed by Jae Lee since he hasn't been around in forever but I ran out of time. Anyway, I have a question for you, when you crack a slab, like your amazing 129, do you do it yourself and if so do you do it right in front of the CGC guys? I am just wondering if this can or does make a difference. As I am writing this I just realized that you have to do it in front of them because of the signatures. So that book is a bad example. What if you have a new mutants book in 9.8 but not signature that you want to get signed. Again do you do it in front of them? And do you think them knowing that originally it was a 9.8 will make any sort of difference. To go even further, what if we looked at the same scenario but the book was a key, like Avengers 1 or Amazing Fantasy 15. Do you think these books would be more likely to get the previous grade because they were more noticeable and important?

Never Crack a Signature series slab. ONLY CGC can do that.

I have cracked my own universal slabs. Last year for New York I cracked open my New Mutants #54 for a double signature. After bagging it, I slipped the blue label into the back of the bag. This is more or less for CGC to update the census. I don't think this has them think oh, it was a 9.8, let's make it a 9.8 again. I have had grades drop, and to my knowledge they regrade any book regardless of the label joining the book.

If the graders are doing their jobs and their was no damage between the cracking of the slab, the signing of the book, and the return of the book to CGC for grading then the grade should be retained, but remember three people grade the book. One might have seen something the others didn't.

If you crack your own slabs, just be careful. It is easy, but can be nerve wracking, especially in older books. I just cracked my X-Men 141 and 142. If you plan on doing this, you can always PM me, and we'll work it out so I can explain the dos and dont's. Once again, never crack a SS book, it loses all signature certification.

My ASM will be joining me and CGC will crack it...which does make me nervous. Im under the impression that they don't cut open slabs because people were upset with them for damaging their books and yet they still do signature series...hmmm

Adams charges. This past year it was 5. for the first 2 and then 10. for any after. That does not include CGC. Those are 10. each. I think his sketches are arounf 50. for a small, backing board size, but with much more detail than the normal quick convention sketch.

I am printing out my invoices as we speak. I was looking for my copy of X-Infernus #1 second printing but couldn't find it, but damn do those Spider-man and Black Cat covers look beautiful, what's another six. The worse comes to worse... I don't turn them over. It reminds me of the story my father wouldn't loan me money for a Near Mint copy of Daredevil #1 in the mid eighties, maybe I can ask him for a credit card to grade a few books.

I agree - there's never enough money for a con. I have several Batmans I'm planning on having Neal Adams sign for SS at ECCC. I think he charges $10 a sig (ouch) and I hope to get a sketch from him. Good luck with the sigs and see you at the forum dinner T.

I have two Batmans that I am bringing for Adams and O'Neil sigs. I didn't know that he charges to sign but I will gladly pay such a paltry amount for the experience. Curse on the flippers for behaving in a manner that encourages the artists to charge! I hadn't considered getting a sketch...I shall have to rectify that.

I figured since I lived in Seattle for several years & have walked every street in that city, I'd throw you a "bone." 8)

Low on cash, eat at 's. Cheap Cheap!!!

http://www.ddir.com/locations

or a slice... Try:

http://www.pagliacci.com/index.html

Plan on rain. Wet, cold, windy...

Sometimes you get lucky, but prepare for rain!

Best coffee shop in Seattle & close to the convetion center.

I loved their mocha's!!! Try: http://www.bauhauscoffee.net/

BTW: The escalator in the Convention Center will cut out 2 blocks of hills if you decide to head up Capitol Hill.

And lastly, Beer. If you like, love or just want a beer, there are a ton of bars!

I found people in Seattle offer beer like Californians offer water.

Some cool bars:

http://www.lindastavern.com/

http://www.elysianbrewing.com

http://www.comettavern.com/

& lastly, the common tourist spots are fun if you've never been up there.

Pike's Place Market - I prefer the mornings down here!

Westlake: it's a mall in the center of downtown, but you can catch the monorail over to the Seattle Center (space needle & experience museum) - there's lot of restaurants and a comic shop on 3rd - http://www.zanaducomics.com/

There's tons more to do and see, so lastly...

one of my favs.

http://www.thepinkdoor.net/

I agree - there's never enough money for a con. I have several Batmans I'm planning on having Neal Adams sign for SS at ECCC. I think he charges $10 a sig (ouch) and I hope to get a sketch from him. Good luck with the sigs and see you at the forum dinner T.

I have two Batmans that I am bringing for Adams and O'Neil sigs. I didn't know that he charges to sign but I will gladly pay such a paltry amount for the experience. Curse on the flippers for behaving in a manner that encourages the artists to charge! I hadn't considered getting a sketch...I shall have to rectify that.

I'm not positive he charges but I noticed on his web site that you can send a book to him and there's a $10 charge for his signature. I hadn't thought about ONeil - which ones?

WTH is this?

*spoon*'s

First I've see it!

Had no idea they were censoring the boards.

What if you name is Richard?

People come up with all kinds of interesting spelling to get around the censorship. lol

I did the duck tour a couple of years back with the family. We had a great time although I wouldn't recommend it this time of the year (it may not even be runnung yet). I also did the space needle dinner with the wife last year. Pricey but what a view and the viewing deck was included with the meal. There's some great stuff to do on your list. ;)

Adams does and doesn't charge if that makes sense. The last time I saw him at Wizard World Austin he was charging $10 per signature unless you bought a print or a sketch. If you bought a print which I did he discounted it to $5. The time before at Dallas Fan Days I had pre-ordered a sketch from him and when I asked him to sign seven books when picking my sketch up he didn't charge anything due to my order of the sketch. Really down to earth guy and certainly likes to talk his life and experiences. I have yet to find a biography of him but having googled him enough I was able to have some detailed conversations with him about his fathers Army backgroud and growing up in Germany, his efforts with gaining the original art for a Holocaust survivor and his early experience when gaining the rights for artists like him and others to gain there art back. I guess with each conversation I have had with him I gain more and more respect for him as a person and not just an artist.

T - I can honestly say I am jealous and truly wish I was counting down the days to the Con myself. I guess at the very least my books have been received and at least they get to make the trip. Have fun and tell us all about your experience there. Maybe one year I will get to meet some of you at a Con.

I am happy though you are choosing to get this next signature. Have fun.

K

oh and yeah, I learned the filter thing myself not to long ago when I used the word individual_without_enough_empathy.

I'm not positive he charges but I noticed on his web site that you can send a book to him and there's a $10 charge for his signature. I hadn't thought about ONeil - which ones?

Batman 243 and 245. Picked them up from a boardie when I was looking for something to have them sign.