• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was there anything redeeming about Batman and the Outsiders?

8 posts in this topic

This was one of the titles I remember from my youth that I simply never got into... I mean, I never even read a single issue.

This past summer I was able to pick up a complete HG run for $20, figuring that for nostalgia's sake I'd start reading it to see what I missed as a 10-year-old. If nothing else there was Aparo's dreamy take on Halo to enjoy. lol

I'm now six issues in... and it seems stunningly awful. I mean horrid. The plotlines are disjointed and rushed, Bats comes off as a bit of a , and on the whole I still have yet to figure out why I should care for any of these characters. And this is coming from someone who probably has an unusually great appreciation for Metamorpho, historically.

Does it get any better at any point? Or should I cut my losses now?

The Alan Davis issues were beautifully drawn, but Barr's writing is pretty standard issue for the whole series. Plots tended to move a lot faster then anyway, so that era seems like it skips over major character points very quickly. The whole transformation into Looker was like "Alan, can you turn a bank teller into a supermodel?" "Yes, Mike. I'd love to" and it was done.

The one thing that bothered me about Batman and the Outsiders was that it meant the end of The Brave And The Bold comics. B&B ended at #200 and BATO started. I never did like that they did that. I was a avid buyer of B&B at the time. Loved the teamup stories. So then they teamup Batman with another group other then JLA. Didn't make much sense to me. I was glad to see B&B return more recently. Too bad that series ended. As far as the Outsiders, some of the stories were ok. But nothing to write home about.