• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superboy 89

13 posts in this topic

This boggles the mind! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

GPAnalysis reports a sale of Superboy 89 in 8.0 selling for $1,009 in June! Last years 8.0 guide was $195.

I know from experience that this is one of those "tough" books that do not show up in decent shape very often. I guess all it takes is two bidders ... crazy.gif

Throw out Overstreet when it comes to 1956-62 era high grade DCs!

I disagree.

When it comes to books of that era, the OS hardcover is an excellent book to place between your comics and the weights you are using to press the comic.

But 8.0 is not high grade! confused.gif

CGC 8.0 are very nice looking books. In this books case, the highest census is a 8.5.

CGC 8.0 are very nice looking books. In this books case, the highest census is a 8.5.

And second highest census grade commands a premium price. These books at 8.0 or above are RARE (use of this word should stir up some good trouble....)

I would call 8.0 the BEGINING of high grade. Look at the prices in OS, the jump from 6.0 to 8.0 is greater than any other range.

I am a Marvel collector but own 3 DC comics bought on a whim. I did not realise that DC books of this era are scarce.

One of these DCs is a Superman 134 (which is missing from the cgc census) from 1960. Should be a 9.0 with fantastic fresh cover colours (it's in a box somewhere). What could I expect to sell this for?

How many times have I thought that a book I stashed away was NM for sure and when I find it I'm lucky to have a Fine. If it is a 9.0, even raw you could get $100 for it with a good scan. A CGC 9.0 would get 300-500.

And second highest census grade commands a premium price. These books at 8.0 or above are RARE (use of this word should stir up some good trouble....)

Sorry guys, didn`t mean to sound like I was denigrating 8.0s. My point was that even for late 1950s/early 1960s mainstream DC titles, 8.0 is not that hard to find (usually), and therefore I`d be surprised if decent premiums are commanded until you get to the 9.0 and above range. The odds of a book surviving in 8.0 condition are exponentially higher than a book surviving in 9.0 or better grade. That`s why most of the feeding frenzies have typically taken place in the 9.0 and above ranges. But if a lot of seasoned collectors have historically found this issue to be particularly hard to find in any kind of high grade, then sure, I can see this book going for premiums.