• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your worst comicbook accident / mistake?

95 posts in this topic

Mine was not realizing my Hulk 181 was on my drawing/ work table when I placed some card on it and began taking my Xacto blade to cut a bunch of shapes out for a university project. There must have been 30 different slash marks that went through the cover and into the inner pages about 3 deep.

Mine was not realizing my Hulk 181 was on my drawing/ work table when I placed some card on it and began taking my Xacto blade to cut a bunch of shapes out for a university project. There must have been 30 different slash marks that went through the cover and into the inner pages about 3 deep.

Ouch! That sucks. What did you do with the book afterwards?

Back around 1983, I was opening my first shop and it had a wide shelf in front of the windows. I was moving books around and by accident left an Avenger 1, an Avengers 4 and a Conan 1 on the shelf just inside the window. This was on a Thursday night and I had Reserve Duty for the weekend so I didn't get back to the store until Tuesday. The sun faded the red into orange and the Avengers 4 cover actuallu turned almost brittle. Conan 1 was ruined as well. The three books represented a good chunk of my high end inventory when I first opened.

Looking back, I guess I was lucky no one smashed and grabbed them.

This is not my personal story, but one I heard when I interned at Marvel in the '90s -- another intern or staffer or someone for some reason had to deliver original art from one artist to another (maybe from penciller to inker, or something). You know, a messenger sorta assignment...

...in a rush, they put the stack of original pages on the roof of their car, got in, and drove off. Yep, those pages flew off into the wind.

I believe the story was true, and not urban legend within fanboy or comic industry circles.

VF / NM

I was organizing books one night, and I live in an apartment, so I didn't have a ton of space and was working on the floor. I had 3 decent books ($50-75) sitting next to me, when my cattle dog when sprinting through the room, through the books, before turning and plopping down next to me, again, right on the books.

I couldn't even get mad at her, because it was technically my fault for having them there.

Put a full box of CGC GA books on a top wire shelf only to have the shelf slip when I turned my back. Got clubbed in the head and had a dozen slabs broken when the box pivoted on my head and dumped the slabs in the floor.

Tape pull on Captain America 137 back when I was a kid. Spidey no longer had a face :o Really about it. Now, if I could add missing out on buying any number of back issue DC and Marvel keys at my favorite comic shop between 1977-1984, that would be the biggest mistake. And no Time Machine's to take me back either. Everybody has those stories though :cry:

What's the worst thing you've ever done to a book, either by accident or intentionally? Tape-pull your AF15? Trim your Tec 27 back in the day?

Mine was drawing the $.10 price dot (like in my avatar) on a GRR Fantastic Four #1.

On at least a few GRR FF 1 and ASM 1 we would find another comic with the same #1/month and cut out the box and glue it on the GRR copy... :devil::insane: We were like in 5th grade...it wasn't completely nefarious but we'd like to BS our friends we had real #1s...

I've probably had a tape pull or two over the years...can't remember specific copies and nothing key or pricey...but in my grade school days (mid to late 1960s) when my older brother got pizzed at me he would tear one of my books completely in half...JIM 114 and X-Men 9 come to mind...on the JIM 114 I didn't have any clear scotch tape so I taped it back together with white bandage tape... :olol

Of course there was that nite in 1974 when I decided to clip all the Marvel Value Stamps out of my books. Luckily, the guy who bought my books in 1977 wanted them to read and didn' really care about the stamps being missing.

One night back in 1941, I was so poor that I needed to burn anything available in order to heat my house. Newspapers, spare furniture, and the 200 or so comic books I had, all went into the fireplace. Looking back, I should have just become homeless and took my comics in a suitcase. Plus, the Actions were all in mint condition.

One night back in 1941, I was so poor that I needed to burn anything available in order to heat my house. Newspapers, spare furniture, and the 200 or so comic books I had, all went into the fireplace. Looking back, I should have just become homeless and took my comics in a suitcase. Plus, the Actions were all in mint condition.
lol

Of course there was that nite in 1974 when I decided to clip all the Marvel Value Stamps out of my books. Luckily, the guy who bought my books in 1977 wanted them to read and didn' really care about the stamps being missing.

Did the same thing when I was eight. Cut them out and put 'em in a photo album.

:makepoint: