• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some help

6 posts in this topic

I had a person come up to me today and ask me to come and look at some comics she has from when she was young (sounds like mostly early Bronze Age) and give her an idea as to if any would be worth anything.

The problem is that I've never really tried to grade anything. I was hoping I could get some general guidance as to what I should look for. I know this is a big, open-ended question and I expect the proper amount of ridicule.

Once everyone gets that out of their system...thank you for any info. I can get.

Side-note: She was telling me some of the comics she has and one that stood out was Amazing Spider-Man 121. Anyone have any GENERAL idea what the comic could, legitimately go for at low, mid, and high grade. Again, thank you.

To have a general idea of the value you can either purchase the Overstreet Guide or use some free web resource like ComicsPriceGuide (requires registration).

The problem is how you’d evaluate the grade. Having a look to past Heritage Auctions (requires registration as well, to look at the large sized pictures) is a good advice. Then there are online resources, like this one http://www.teako170.com/grade.html which summarize grading criteria (in this case I seem to get Overstreet criteria, the CGC criteria is somewhat different but they give you an idea).

I like this Noob, and I love ASM #121. Here's the current market value of graded copies:

9.8 = $2500

9.6 = $1000

9.4 = $550-$650

9.2 = $375-$500

8.0 = $175-$250

6.0 = $75-$125

4.0 = $50-$100

You should get some scans of your book and post them in the "Hey buddy can you spare a grade?" forum here to get some opinions. It is unlikely that you have anything better than a 6.0 though for a comic that was read and enjoyed back in the 70s. Good luck!