• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade on this X-men #1

26 posts in this topic

Sorry I only have one picture. The back is comparable to slightly better than the front. The book is already slabbed and is a blue label. No notations. No tape or writing on the inside or outside. No missing pieces. Centerfold is attached. No coupons clipped. You may notice there are two tape lifts on the cover. Copious honest wear. My photo picked up some reflection...especially near iceman's head. You can't see the spine, but it is not split and it is attached, though weakly as you'd expect from a low grade like this. What grade do you think CGC gave it?

Thanks,

WC

X-1_zpsce9700f8.jpg

Well it shouldn't get any higher than a 1.8, and with the combined wear and tape pulls I'd call it a 1.5

I'll take a guess that the reason for posting is some surprise at the grade, so either it got a 1.0 or a 2.0

Aww, you're meta-gaming! :)

You are correct, and I think the others are correct as well (given the poor picture). It was graded a CGC 1.0. The average of all of these responses lies north of 1.5 and closer to a 1.8 so I definitely think it's worth the cost of submitting for a re-grade.

Of course, I'll take a closer look at the staple and spine before I crack it out, but when I got it as a 1.0, I was a little bit shocked. Definitely the nicest 1.0 I've seen. I had a 1.8 JLA #1 that looked worse than this one and I've seen raw books sold as Good that weren't too far off this condition.

Thanks for all who replied. It really helped me alot.

WC

I have sent in books putting grades in my head what they should come back,all over the board it depends who grades and who it is for.So guess what i am driving at.

That's not true. (tsk)

+1

I think a majority of the complaining about cgc grading is due to the fact that people can't grade their books. ( Pleas note I am NOT saying comicjack can't grade)

Grading is subjective but cgc still hands out grades within a predictable range. You will notice no one in this thread said that the book was Vf or even A solid G So a grade average just north of 1.5 means that the assigned grade was only one level lower than board predictions. A majortiy of boardies coming so close indicates that cgc grades are predictable.

People constantly lament their assigned grades and moan about the injustices heaped upon them. But until cgc starts consistently throwing out grades that are +\- 4 grades guessed by EXPERIENCED graders I think they are doing a good job.

They have made a subjective process about as predictable as humanly possible.