• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Wake by Scott Snyder

380 posts in this topic

Question on the end of #7:

Are the two of them inside the Giant Mer at the end? Or did the dolphin whisk her away in time?

I thought the belly of the Giant Mer opened up to reveal it was a machine of some sort. Kind of hard to tell what happened on those last few pages but that's what I took away.

That's what I thought as well, but the art threw me off a bit. And I tend to focus more on the dialog then the images; still stuck in a novel mindset.

Guess we'll know for sure next issue. Great series.

+1

I like Murphy's art - there's a balance between a sort of rawness and delicate emotion with his brush work. Like all art, tastes are subjective though. But I always love how expressive his characters' faces are - especially their eyes.

What I like is he is so talented at writing it makes me forgive the art which I think is sub par. That is a good writer.

Ins't this a Sean Murphy book? You don't like the art? Really?

That so hard to believe? I compare to Silverstri in his early years. Its not terrible I just think between the writing or the art its the later that could be better.

What I like is he is so talented at writing it makes me forgive the art which I think is sub par. That is a good writer.

Ins't this a Sean Murphy book? You don't like the art? Really?

That so hard to believe? I compare to Silverstri in his early years. Its not terrible I just think between the writing or the art its the later that could be better.

I get that. I believe beauty is in the eye of the behold...nah, in the eye of the guy looking at the page. We all see it differently. It's the same with music, cars, and even people. We have different tastes. I like the art in this book but if you like real clean lines, this art may not be for you. I'm a nut. I like nearly everything. lol

Coming to the table late in the game here but WOW... I'm going to be bummed this is over... Really wish this was an ongoing. And for the record, I'm amazed people don't like the art. I find it to be a perfect balance of expressive and clean. Love the brush work and characters. The clothing alone makes me stare. Outside of Sandman, Saga, and Pretty Deadly, my favorite art out there... Again each to its own but I find this truly different and rich.

How bummed will you be when this is finished ? Maybe we get lucky and its like Moore's LoXG, Mignola's Hellboy, or Miller's Sin City. He might have different series or subsets in mind because this is super popular. Then again, he may just have a particular story in mind and thats that. I will miss it a LOT. :sorry:

How bummed will you be when this is finished ? Maybe we get lucky and its like Moore's LoXG, Mignola's Hellboy, or Miller's Sin City. He might have different series or subsets in mind because this is super popular. Then again, he may just have a particular story in mind and thats that. I will miss it a LOT. :sorry:

Interesting. I feel like we have similar tastes for the most part, but after reading this last issue I was thinking that I'm ready for this to end. Don't know why, but it's just not speaking to be as much as 1-5 did. Still a great book, I'm just losing interest. Love the art though.

Interesting. I feel like we have similar tastes for the most part, but after reading this last issue I was thinking that I'm ready for this to end. Don't know why, but it's just not speaking to be as much as 1-5 did. Still a great book, I'm just losing interest. Love the art though.

I agree, we like mostly the same stuff. I haven't read #8 yet so maybe it will turn south for me. I have really liked it to this point but heck, I sometimes disagree with my wife and we've been together over 23 years. :grin:

I'm definitely getting ready for the big finish and the various flash-forwards from the first arc getting resolved. #8 was moving the ball forward story-wise, but I thought the art was tremendous. Murphy's rendering of mechanical and industrial settings and vehicles is some of the best, and we get a couple incredible perspective shots in this issue.

When its done, I think this is going to be one of the premier self-contained TPB's that comic stores will be recommending for quite some time. Just have to stick the landing at the end...

issue 9 was smiley_whoa.png

In a good way ? I won't get to read it until next week.

Yep its in a good way. Although they sure gloss over a lot of stuff in a handful of pages. This easily could have been a 20 book series instead of 10. :cry: