• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Wake by Scott Snyder

380 posts in this topic

I'm sure I'll get piled on for this, but this is one of the worst closing arcs in recent memory. This series was pumping after #5, wtf happened? It felt like Snyder wasted 4 issues just to tell his punch-line in #10...which came out of left field and didn't really fit with the light horror tone of the rest of the book. Too many loose ends for me. 2c

Pile away :)

You have every right to be upset. I though it was still humming a little in the 2nd arc with the giant merman reveal but it really fell apart after that. I am going to re-read it all when the HC is released in the hopes it all makes sense when read together. Still better than most books on the shelf but it's no Superman: Red Son ;)

Where was the horror in the second arc? #1-#5 were awesome. #6-#9 were forgettable and I don't even know what happened in #10. Oh well. =[
I feel the same way. I read the first five and was thinking to myself "This is AWESOME. They've topped American Vampire, blew it out of the water!" By the end of issue ten I was thinking "What happened?"

The beginning felt like a mix of Alien style horror and a Crichton novel with all the references to legends and fables and cryptozoology. The end was like Waterworld. lol

Where was the horror in the second arc? #1-#5 were awesome. #6-#9 were forgettable and I don't even know what happened in #10. Oh well. =[
I feel the same way. I read the first five and was thinking to myself "This is AWESOME. They've topped American Vampire, blew it out of the water!" By the end of issue ten I was thinking "What happened?"

The beginning felt like a mix of Alien style horror and a Crichton novel with all the references to legends and fables and cryptozoology. The end was like Waterworld. lol

I agree but I still like all things Costner, even Waterworld. :grin:

I'm slow, but I finally finished issue 10 a little while ago... my opinion doesn't appear to differ from anyone else's.

I considered dropping the series around issue 7, but of course it was so close to being done that I kept it on.

Sort of wish I had dropped it. At least the layout work was interesting in some areas, I can't fault the look of the book.

I just realized the reason I knew the girl in Napoleon Dynamite was because she was the little girl in Waterworld. I knew I knew that face, could place it until last Saturday.

tumblr_lwxetgPeTM1qiu5xgo1_500.jpg

Wicked Scary Hair!

deb.jpg

Somewhat better hair.

Forever Young, ligers, and Vote for Pedro will be stuck in my head all day. lol

Just read the hardcover I bought a while ago. I preferred it as the horror book that it began as personally. It wasn't a bad read at all, but the second half seemed rushed for the grand new world it attempted to create.

The art remained stellar throughout and made the pickup worth it for me.