• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DAVE STEVENS appreciation

62 posts in this topic

the rarely seen 3D Zone #16.. as far as moderns go, a true biatch to find in high grade - the one and only time I was happy to pay an RJ price.. and one of the few scarcer books that has both a DS cover and interior art.

578458-3dz16.jpg

578458-3dz16.jpg.e00bd1dad9c0f33258fd768f031ff896.jpg

Nicely done with the World of Wood #1 - that's a great cover. But Mr Monster #2 being his best cover? C'mon now!! smile.gif

Dave Stevens Cover and Mr. Monster c'mon it's huge, definately one of my faves. They are all good I need to dig out my Bettie Page comics too mmmmm Bettie

to be honest, this is my fave mr monster cover - although it's a reprint it's been colored nicely - one of the few reprint covers that I think looks better than the original

578480-mmsp8.jpg

578480-mmsp8.jpg.176475efc7a1cb1df2f58cf12a09d01f.jpg

I love these covers but whenever I look at them something niggles at the back of my mind- they are Modern. And not that I despise Modern - but they are very reminiscent of the GA covers and, I guess, the thing that really gets me about the GA covers is how counter to the general perception they were. In more modern times, especially with the advent of slasher films (and their attendant teen-sex scenes which naturally made you KNOW Jason was gonna do some carving), such images are far from shocking.

The shock value of a pre-code horror or sci-fi book was considerably more.

And on the other side of the coin? Stevens is a genius at what he does. Just amazing work. And a real feel for the days gone by. An artist I enjoy as much as any of my pre-code artists.

And VERY BIG kudos to him for bringing the gawdawful Bettie Page thing to light and getting people to actually get her the income she deserved from using her image! Well done!

All praise for Dave Stevens! Hellermania! I'll even look at his work with a GA eye and superimpose! grin.gif

I love these covers but whenever I look at them something niggles at the back of my mind- they are Modern. And not that I despise Modern - but they are very reminiscent of the GA covers and, I guess, the thing that really gets me about the GA covers is how counter to the general perception they were. In more modern times, especially with the advent of slasher films (and their attendant teen-sex scenes which naturally made you KNOW Jason was gonna do some carving), such images are far from shocking.

The shock value of a pre-code horror or sci-fi book was considerably more.

And on the other side of the coin? Stevens is a genius at what he does. Just amazing work. And a real feel for the days gone by. An artist I enjoy as much as any of my pre-code artists.

And VERY BIG kudos to him for bringing the gawdawful Bettie Page thing to light and getting people to actually get her the income she deserved from using her image! Well done!

All praise for Dave Stevens! Hellermania! I'll even look at his work with a GA eye and superimpose! grin.gif

POV YOU WON'T BE SORRY hi.gif

... And VERY BIG kudos to him for bringing the gawdawful Bettie Page thing to light and getting people to actually get her the income she deserved from using her image! Well done!

hi.gif Barin - past tense not needed. NOT sorry. Have a huge amount of respect for DS! grin.gif

... And VERY BIG kudos to him for bringing the gawdawful Bettie Page thing to light and getting people to actually get her the income she deserved from using her image! Well done!

hi.gif Barin - past tense not needed. NOT sorry. Have a huge amount of respect for DS! grin.gif

NEW RESPECT FOR MY NOR CAL BRO thumbsup2.gifgrin.gif

What exactly did happen to Bettie? I'm not familiar with the story...

Basically, Bettie, many years ago, went anon and moved to Florida. Many people were using her name and her image for free. Dave found out - not sure how - where she was and started corresponding with her. He took up her cause. He started lobbying for people to acknowledge her and sought royalties for her. Now this is all from being on the outside looking in but I THINK this is failry accurate. And I believe people actually did start giving her royalties for the use of her name and image.

There was a Bettie Page documentary where she spoke (but would not be photographed/filmed) where she really talked quite a bit about herself, her years with Irving Klaw (Movie Star News) and her early years and the things that beset her when she was young - not the ideal upbringing) .VERY interesting documentary and done with repect. I have it somewhere here on tape. It should be re-run now - it is time!