• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FF #99 pages

17 posts in this topic

A well-known dealer is offering several panel pages from Fantastic Four #99, and I'm dying to talk about them!

Are the prices listed the going rate for this era FF innards? There have already been a few sold or held.

Are these just not that big a deal? I've not read a mention of them here.

Mostly, can anyone say where they came from? What is being offered is maybe 9 pages, all from #99. No splashes, no cover. It sounds very much like the source from whom I lucked into my page from #98. (far right)

comicroom002-1.jpg[/img]

Just for fun, I'll tell the story again; it was one of the best nights I've had in comics.

I can't recall the year, but it was before I had internet access, probably mid 1990s. I had previously just dabbled in OA, but I came to the conclusion that I needed a Kirby Fantastic Four page.

I saw an ad in the Comics Buyers Guide, offering "most of the pages" from FF #98. No splashes, no cover. Your choice, $300 each. The seller said he wanted everyone to get a chance at a page, so 1 to a customer, and structured his sale with a delayed start time so that people who got their CBGs late could get in on it. The end result was that I had one night to go thru my copy of Fantastic Four 98 and lovingly rate each page, so I could choose from whatever was left when (and if) I got thru when I called him.

That evening was literally a dream come true, because I did that with comics anyway, daydreaming of owning an FF page by The King.

When the next day came, I got a pretty good one, and am still thrilled with it. I was so happy, however that I have forgotten the seller's name!

If anyone knows who that might have been, or if it is the same person selling the #99 pages, please let him know that his plan worked to perfection; a little guy got a big-time piece, and owes him a huge thank you.

I don't think it's a big secret that Pete Koch owned the complete FF 99 until recently and it had been available complete for the right deal for several years. Most or all of the pages are now with Burkey however and i have no idea if they are on consignment or if Mike owns them outright.

And I think just about ANY Kirby/Sinnot FF page is pretty cool and these are no different.

Scott

A well-known dealer is offering several panel pages from Fantastic Four #99, and I'm dying to talk about them!

Are the prices listed the going rate for this era FF innards? There have already been a few sold or held.

I'd also like to hear from others about the prices on those FF 99 pages.

You scored a great page!

I only got into collecting in the last decade, well after you. Sadly, I missed out on those valuable years of CBG art.

You got your FF 98 page from Bob Latimer. I remember the ad. It ran in two different CBGs, because the first time the prices were too high -- $700 or so (!).

You are my new favorite boardie! Thanks!

I never saw the first ad, and if I had, I wouldn't have been able to buy one at $700. Seems like a lot of things had to go right for me on that deal.

I'd also like to hear from others about the prices on those FF 99 pages.

You scored a great page!

I only got into collecting in the last decade, well after you. Sadly, I missed out on those valuable years of CBG art.

I wish I knew the market better, as I have no idea if the asking prices on those pages are spot-on, or just starting points for negotiation. He is moving some of them, and if I had the means I'd be thinking hard about one!

You got your FF 98 page from Bob Latimer. I remember the ad. It ran in two different CBGs, because the first time the prices were too high -- $700 or so (!).

You are my new favorite boardie! Thanks!

I never saw the first ad, and if I had, I wouldn't have been able to buy one at $700. Seems like a lot of things had to go right for me on that deal.

You always know a Robert Latimer page because he stamped all of his pages on the back with his contact information. If you took the page out of the frame and looked on the back, you would more thank likely find the stamp. Robert was a prolific Kirby collector who sold most of the complete Fourth World books in the 90s through CBG ads. Ostensibly, he was the precursor to Tony Christopher.

Let's see...

Nope. No stamp. I was going to kick myself if his contact info had been there all this time. I have looked at the back before, and I feel like I would have remembered it being there.

Let's see...

Nope. No stamp. I was going to kick myself if his contact info had been there all this time. I have looked at the back before, and I feel like I would have remembered it being there.

That's very interesting! I've owned early Kirby pages and pages from the 70s that had the stamp. Based on that, I just assumed that all of his pages were stamped on the back so I stand corrected.

BTW - Robert doesn't live at the address on the stamp nor is he at any of the phone numbers either. I've asked around and he pretty much just moved and disappeared from the hobby one day. Not the first time that's happened and certainly not the last!

I own TWO Kirby/Sinnott Fantastic Four pages, and 2 other Kirby pieces (Eternals and Capt. Victory) for a total of four.

Also, just to clarify, I don't own a page from #99; mine's from #98 - I just thought the circumstances sounded similar, so I told my story (always looking for an excuse to tell that story).

I'd love to see your Blastarr page!

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2013 at 5:17 PM, KirbyJack said:

Mostly, can anyone say where they came from? What is being offered is maybe 9 pages, all from #99. No splashes, no cover. It sounds very much like the source from whom I lucked into my page from #98. (far right)

comicroom002-1.jpg[/img]

Just for fun, I'll tell the story again; it was one of the best nights I've had in comics.

I can't recall the year, but it was before I had internet access, probably mid 1990s. I had previously just dabbled in OA, but I came to the conclusion that I needed a Kirby Fantastic Four page.

I saw an ad in the Comics Buyers Guide, offering "most of the pages" from FF #98. No splashes, no cover. Your choice, $300 each. The seller said he wanted everyone to get a chance at a page, so 1 to a customer, and structured his sale with a delayed start time so that people who got their CBGs late could get in on it. The end result was that I had one night to go thru my copy of Fantastic Four 98 and lovingly rate each page, so I could choose from whatever was left when (and if) I got thru when I called him.

That evening was literally a dream come true, because I did that with comics anyway, daydreaming of owning an FF page by The King.

When the next day came, I got a pretty good one, and am still thrilled with it. I was so happy, however that I have forgotten the seller's name!

If anyone knows who that might have been, or if it is the same person selling the #99 pages, please let him know that his plan worked to perfection; a little guy got a big-time piece, and owes him a huge thank you.

Just bumping this thread for posterity.

Nothing to see here.

On 2/28/2013 at 6:18 AM, dem1138 said:

You always know a Robert Latimer page because he stamped all of his pages on the back with his contact information. If you took the page out of the frame and looked on the back, you would more thank likely find the stamp. Robert was a prolific Kirby collector who sold most of the complete Fourth World books in the 90s through CBG ads. Ostensibly, he was the precursor to Tony Christopher.

Funny -- I have a few pages from Latimer and none of them have stamps on the back.