• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does CL not reporting to GPA affect auction prices?

38 posts in this topic

I don't know. Maybe it's simply a matter of an improving economy. There seems to be a lot of new collectors. Look at how Moderns are heating up. I haven't seen this much action and speculation since the early 90's. CLINK is just a facilitator of the marketplace. I don't think anything they do affects the marketplace directly. It's just a strong market.

I do not think the economy is improving, at least not overall. Comics always do well in terms of economic downturn as people look for alternative investments. When gold starts trending down, get out of your investment comics.

Actually, gold has been trending down.

Prices are indeed strong for this CLINK auction. However, I don't think lack of GPA reporting has anything to do with it, not even remotely.

I would disagree completely....

I bid on comiclink auctions and don't ever bid on auctions that report to GPA. Why? Its simple really.....

If I buy a book from Heritage or Ebay for under GPA, that price is reflected in GPA, and in effect becomes the newest price example. If I buy a book on comiclink, the price is not reflected in GPA and hopefully I can still make some money on it.

I would estimate on a given comiclink auction, I bid on 50 - 100 books. While I don't win them all (not even close usually), I do win some, and the ones I don't still get bumps in price.

I don't know. Sometimes I will miss a book that sells on eBay or somewhere for a price I would have been willing to beat. If a dealer lists the book above recent GPA, I wouldn't be deterred from buying at that price if it was a book I had been looking for. I would say that a pretty significant percentage of the books I buy are for above-GPA prices.

Prices are indeed strong for this CLINK auction. However, I don't think lack of GPA reporting has anything to do with it, not even remotely.

I bid on comiclink auctions and don't ever bid on auctions that report to GPA. Why? Its simple really.....

If I buy a book from Heritage or Ebay for under GPA, that price is reflected in GPA, and in effect becomes the newest price example. If I buy a book on comiclink, the price is not reflected in GPA and hopefully I can still make some money on it.

I would estimate on a given comiclink auction, I bid on 50 - 100 books. While I don't win them all (not even close usually), I do win some, and the ones I don't still get bumps in price.

I don't know. Sometimes I will miss a book that sells on eBay or somewhere for a price I would have been willing to beat. If a dealer lists the book above recent GPA, I wouldn't be deterred from buying at that price if it was a book I had been looking for. I would say that a pretty significant percentage of the books I buy are for above-GPA prices.

Sure, I think we all do that sometimes. Thats not really my point though. The OP asked "Does CL not reporting to GPA affect auction prices". I would say without question, it does affect it. My most significant point is that I personally bid on up to 100 books(sometimes more) that I would not bid on, if Comiclink reported to GPA. I am sure that others do the same.

I don't know. Maybe it's simply a matter of an improving economy. There seems to be a lot of new collectors. Look at how Moderns are heating up. I haven't seen this much action and speculation since the early 90's. CLINK is just a facilitator of the marketplace. I don't think anything they do affects the marketplace directly. It's just a strong market.

I do not think the economy is improving, at least not overall. Comics always do well in terms of economic downturn as people look for alternative investments. When gold starts trending down, get out of your investment comics.

Yes, but it is still so far above non-recession norms that the slight downward trend is meaningless unless you own a few pounds of the stuff , of course. (thumbs u

Your post actually can be used to make the same argument, if you're willing to pay more than GPA for a particular book then it's in your best interest to purchase from a venue that reports to GPA...as a new owner of a book would you prefer to have it trending up or down on GPA?

(shrug)

Sure, I think we all do that sometimes. Thats not really my point though. The OP asked "Does CL not reporting to GPA affect auction prices". I would say without question, it does affect it. My most significant point is that I personally bid on up to 100 books(sometimes more) that I would not bid on, if Comiclink reported to GPA. I am sure that others do the same.

Dale, do you list on Clink? If so, don't you hate when your book makes a GPA high but the market has no real idea?

Your post actually can be used to make the same argument, if you're willing to pay more than GPA for a particular book then it's in your best interest to purchase from a venue that reports to GPA...as a new owner of a book would you prefer to have it trending up or down on GPA?

(shrug)

Actually, if I'm still a buyer of related books in that area, trending down is better. Of course, this is from the perspective of someone who buys but hasn't sold a book in more than 10 years.

Yes, but it is still so far above non-recession norms that the slight downward trend is meaningless unless you own a few pounds of the stuff , of course. (thumbs u

Actually, you would expect gold to do better during times of inflation than during times of recession. But long-term, gold hasn't been a good inflation hedge ....

While I hate to admit it, I have to side with Dale here :o in agreeing that a lack of GPA pricing does affect the outcomes of the CLINK auction. Maybe not necessarily this weeks auction but overall, I'd tend to agree.

Dale makes a strong point that if you're buying for resell (which both of us do), you don't want the lower buys reported. Of course, we can't have our cake and have the stronger sales reported so it's a "no-go" for the entire auction. I am fine with this.

A couple of other points:

There's only a SMALL (and I mean small) group of people who use and consult GPA. Not only that, there's a large number of members here who don't subscribe.....so whether a sale is reported or not can become moot.

Second, GPA isn't the bible of pricing...no more so than the OSPG. It's nothing more than a tool that potentially gives two individuals a starting point for negotiations. Some people swear by GPA (and lose good deals) where others swear by OSPG (and lose good deals). Truly neither determine the market price..only the market can do that and we all know, this market changes every day.

While I hate to admit it, I have to side with Dale here :o in agreeing that a lack of GPA pricing does affect the outcomes of the CLINK auction. Maybe not necessarily this weeks auction but overall, I'd tend to agree.

Dale makes a strong point that if you're buying for resell (which both of us do), you don't want the lower buys reported. Of course, we can't have our cake and have the stronger sales reported so it's a "no-go" for the entire auction. I am fine with this.

A couple of other points:

There's only a SMALL (and I mean small) group of people who use and consult GPA. Not only that, there's a large number of members here who don't subscribe.....so whether a sale is reported or not can become moot.

Second, GPA isn't the bible of pricing...no more so than the OSPG. It's nothing more than a tool that potentially gives two individuals a starting point for negotiations. Some people swear by GPA (and lose good deals) where others swear by OSPG (and lose good deals). Truly neither determine the market price..only the market can do that and we all know, this market changes every day.

Great post.

The best scenario would be for GPA to track more sales in different places.

For instance: When looking up data on the GPA it shows you current auctions for sale. It's come in really handy when looking for a particular comic...same thing with slabhunter...

But I digress: Only a fraction of the available auctions are available at a given time even at the same 'place'. I often find that not all Ebay auctions are represented. Whereas you may only find let's say 5 slabs of something for sale on the GPA (let's say once again all from Ebay), if you do a search on your own at Ebay you'll find more offerings (like alot more). This is true of moderns as well as goldens, silvers and bronze.

I'm not certain how the GPA or Slabhunter accumulates information about available auctions, but it's certainly not complete. This is not an accusation or a complaint because I subscribe to and use the GPA almost every day.....it's simply an observation.

So there's defnitely unreported sales that are occurring on Ebay, and that's supposed to be relatively well tracked.

Also: when there are combinations of comics sold in conjunction, I'm 100% certain that data is completely lost. Point in case: the modern comic Peter Panzerfaust. If you're looking at trends for a single slab, you'll find somewhat accurate info. However, there are numerous individuals who will auction together possibly issues 1-3 slabbed, or 1 & 2 slabbed, etc. These types of auctions pretty much get swept under the carpet and I've seen some that are way above and beyond the GPA pricing for each indvidual issue when combined.

In the end, I still believe that the GPA represents alot of great information. It's helped me avoid $ grenades exploding and me wasting alot of extra capital for no reason. I can see when something auctioned is REALLY exorbitant, or heavily undervalued. Is it 100% infallible....nope, not by a long shot. Is it worth the subscription....every penny!

It could be magnitudes better if it were more encompassing, and I agree that you'd have to fairly represent both low and high sales.

Certainly if you see a downward trend on GPA, particularly for a high-value book, it might make sense to wait a while in the reasonable expectation of picking up the book for a lower price in the future.

The huge problem I have with the trending is that I see rather steep trends develop upward or downwards based upon possibly one recorded sale in a given year.

It's hard to say that represents the true market value when you factor in that there are many unrecorded sales of the same.

The huge problem I have with the trending is that I see rather steep trends develop upward or downwards based upon possibly one recorded sale in a given year.

It's hard to say that represents the true market value when you factor in that there are many unrecorded sales of the same.

Yep. One or two sales don't make a trend.

I'm not certain how the GPA or Slabhunter accumulates information about available auctions, but it's certainly not complete. This is not an accusation or a complaint because I subscribe to and use the GPA almost every day.....it's simply an observation.

You're talking about our Live Auction Links. If the book is an auction style book (ending within 10 days) then it's included. If it's a store item (fixed price, 30 days+) it's included IF it has the serial number in the title.

So there's defnitely unreported sales that are occurring on Ebay, and that's supposed to be relatively well tracked.

No, the sales get reported. The Live Auction Links may not show a specific book listed on eBay (as to the reasons above) but if it sells, it's reported in GPA. Just thought I'd clarify that

GPanalysis:

I see what you're saying and I appreciate the clarification as a client of yours.

Here's what I was attempting to say:

A quick search on the GPA for "SHOWCASE 22" reveals the following 2 graded comics for auction/sale:

http://www.gregreececomics.com/Comics/4596

http://www.gregreececomics.com/Comics/4117

Both are Greg Reece offerings ^^.

HOWEVER, upon a quick search on Ebay for the following current auctions/sales this was revealed just this morning:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOWCASE-22-CGC-7-0-CR-OW-PAGES-1ST-SILVER-AGE-GREEN-LANTERN-/300779060665?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4607d43db9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Showcase-22-CGC-6-0-Silver-Age-DC-Key-Comic-Book-First-SA-Green-Lantern-L-K-/300868654227?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item460d2b5493

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Showcase-22-CGC-5-5-DC-1959-1st-Green-Lantern-cm-Hard-to-find-above-5-0-/350461220278?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51991dd5b6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Showcase-22-CGC-6-5-Unrestored-1ST-APPEARANCE-OF-THE-GREEN-LANTERN-Hal-Jordan-/200888315349?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2ec5e06dd5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Showcase-22-CGC-4-5-DC-1959-1st-Green-Lantern-1-B8-912-cm-/350603326658?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a19634c2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-COMICS-SHOWCASE-22-GREEN-LANTERN-ORIGN-1st-APPEARENCE-CGC-3-5-9-10-1959-/110980722512?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19d6f76f50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Showcase-22-cgc-3-5-Key-Silver-Age-DC-Comic-1st-SA-Green-Lantern-Movie-L-K-/300862011583?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item460cc5f8bf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOWCASE-22-GREEN-LANTERN-1ST-APPEARANCE-ORIGIN-SILVER-AGE-/221194852647?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item33803d9927

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Showcase-22-CGC-1-8-DC-1959-1st-Green-Lantern-WHITE-pages-1-791-B5-cm-/350569560579?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519f92fa03

That's nine auctions on Ebay I found in less than a minute that aren't represented in the "Check out these Live Auctions available now for bidding!" tab on the GPA. I didn't look at them all in detail, but I noticed at least two of those listings had serial numbers listed in the description.

Of course you already explained that they only get picked up when the serial exists in the title.

So that's what I was attempting to describe previously: the dichotomy and variance between the Live auctions available and the recorded sales.

I personally have purchased more than a few Ebay auctions for graded comics that never appeared on the GPA and they were either record highs or record lows. Showcase 22 was one of those, as well as TMNT 1, JLA #1, BB28, and the list goes on.

My assumption was that those auctions that are visible in that available tab were the ones that got picked up and incorporated into the pricing trends.

I'll just finish once again by stating I love your service, and will continue to use it indefinitely, but the additional clarification was helpful. I think you see where I was coming from with my prior statements.

That's nine auctions on Ebay I found in less than a minute that aren't represented in the "Check out these Live Auctions available now for bidding!" tab on the GPA. I didn't look at them all in detail, but I noticed at least two of those listings had serial numbers listed in the description.

Correct. As I stated above, fixed price store items are only included if the serial number is in the title. All the examples you note are not auctions, and do not have the s/n in the title. Hence why they are excluded. Of course if any of those sell they are included in the final analysis

Correct. As I stated above, fixed price store items are only included if the serial number is in the title. All the examples you note are not auctions, and do not have the s/n in the title. Hence why they are excluded. Of course if any of those sell they are included in the final analysis

Makes sense to me now, I appreciate the clarification.