• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does CL not reporting to GPA affect auction prices?

38 posts in this topic

I have not seen this topic before but im sure someone will find it and link it. I see a lot of really strong CL auction prices that I wish would be reported but are these prices strong because they are not reported. Do people overpay in part because its harder to discern when they got the book ad how much they paid for it?

I know the majority of the collecting community does not subscribe to GPA but it has saved me from some bad deals and helped me spot trends.

What does everyone think?

I think that you use the data from the sites that you shop with...

Do I care what data is collected from sales involving Comic Seller A?

No, because I do not shop with them.

I look at the sites and dealers that I shop at for sales as well as eBay completed sales to get an idea.

Then I am willing to have wiggle room based upon how long I have been looking for the book and how bad I want it.

I don't know. Maybe it's simply a matter of an improving economy. There seems to be a lot of new collectors. Look at how Moderns are heating up. I haven't seen this much action and speculation since the early 90's. CLINK is just a facilitator of the marketplace. I don't think anything they do affects the marketplace directly. It's just a strong market.

I see a lot of really strong CL auction prices that I wish would be reported but are these prices strong because they are not reported.

X-Men #1 CGC 9.4 and TOS 39 CGC 9.4 both sold for 90k. New GPA lows. Coin flips both ways..

I see a lot of really strong CL auction prices that I wish would be reported but are these prices strong because they are not reported.

X-Men #1 CGC 9.4 and TOS 39 CGC 9.4 both sold for 90k. New GPA lows. Coin flips both ways..

Well said. Unfortunately, some still have the same mind set that these are 'blue chip keys' and can only go up in value. CL has gotten strong results as of late. I am sure neither seller would expect these two books to set new lows...even though CL does not report to GPA.

Come to think of it, most of the comic collecting world will never know as a result; unless they view direct CL auction results.

That being said, it always amazes me that when certain collectors view an item sell for under GPA or guide; and they call it 'undervalued.' It could very well be that the item in question was always overvalued and these items are now settling back into their newfound ranges.

On the other hand (and to be fair), it also could just be a fluke, as one auction does not define or make the market, one way or another...

'mint'

Prices are indeed strong for this CLINK auction. However, I don't think lack of GPA reporting has anything to do with it, not even remotely.

I would disagree completely....

I bid on comiclink auctions and don't ever bid on auctions that report to GPA. Why? Its simple really.....

If I buy a book from Heritage or Ebay for under GPA, that price is reflected in GPA, and in effect becomes the newest price example. If I buy a book on comiclink, the price is not reflected in GPA and hopefully I can still make some money on it.

I would estimate on a given comiclink auction, I bid on 50 - 100 books. While I don't win them all (not even close usually), I do win some, and the ones I don't still get bumps in price.

Prices are indeed strong for this CLINK auction. However, I don't think lack of GPA reporting has anything to do with it, not even remotely.

I would disagree completely....

I bid on comiclink auctions and don't ever bid on auctions that report to GPA. Why? Its simple really.....

If I buy a book from Heritage or Ebay for under GPA, that price is reflected in GPA, and in effect becomes the newest price example. If I buy a book on comiclink, the price is not reflected in GPA and hopefully I can still make some money on it.

I would estimate on a given comiclink auction, I bid on 50 - 100 books. While I don't win them all (not even close usually), I do win some, and the ones I don't still get bumps in price.

Dale, I see what you are saying. However, I would imagine that even non-anal 'ANALytical' types like myself would still go by complex averages. Therefore, (and I am only asking for other's opinions) wouldn't educated buyers know to also check sites like ComicLink that do not report to GPA to help determine a a fair price to pay? Personally, I go by a weighted average using a detailed formula I created. I assume (possibly incorrectly) that most collectors use their own weighted average by using GPA as a guide. Anyone who looks at GPA and blindly checks the last price a book sold for or even the 90-day average to determine a bid price is just asking for trouble in such a speculative market...

On the other hand, I am sure there are those that do just that, not really knowing if they are buying at the top or bottom of a major price correction or trend.

Just my opinion...

Respectfully,

'mint'

This is the exact reason Doug Schmell gave for manipulating the results he reported to GPA, and it's the reason Clink won't report to GPA. Josh only wants to report the good sales. Lucklily George won't let either of them do that :sumo:

I think that you use the data from the sites that you shop with...

Do I care what data is collected from sales involving Comic Seller A?

No, because I do not shop with them.

I look at the sites and dealers that I shop at for sales as well as eBay completed sales to get an idea.

Then I am willing to have wiggle room based upon how long I have been looking for the book and how bad I want it.

THIS :wishluck:

This is the exact reason Doug Schmell gave for manipulating the results he reported to GPA, and it's the reason Clink won't report to GPA. Josh only wants to report the good sales. Lucklily George won't let either of them do that :sumo:

hm

I don't know. Maybe it's simply a matter of an improving economy. There seems to be a lot of new collectors. Look at how Moderns are heating up. I haven't seen this much action and speculation since the early 90's. CLINK is just a facilitator of the marketplace. I don't think anything they do affects the marketplace directly. It's just a strong market.

I do not think the economy is improving, at least not overall. Comics always do well in terms of economic downturn as people look for alternative investments. When gold starts trending down, get out of your investment comics.

I actually thought George let Doug report his results to GPA until Doug came on the boards and talked about how he manipulated what he reported. It was never clear if George pulled all the sales numbers he had from Pedigree or not.

I actually thought George let Doug report his results to GPA until Doug came on the boards and talked about how he manipulated what he reported. It was never clear if George pulled all the sales numbers he had from Pedigree or not.

You are correct. Doug would probably still be reporting to GPA if he hadn't opened his mouth. I didn't mean to make it sound like Doug asked George if he could start reporting to GPA and George said "no", Doug was already reporting to GPA before the admission, and then George heard about it...