• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WD #1 9.9. Shilling in Clink Auction? LOL, yeah.

68 posts in this topic

Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.9 was listed in the current CLink auction. It was listed with an undisclosed reserve. About a week ago it was at $4000 or so. Then it jumped to $9700, but still did not meet reserve. Coincidentally, the next bid would take it to $9800, the same price as the last copy that sold (11/2012). That last bid never came and the book ended without meeting the reserve.

It disappeared from the auction listing this morning and is, again coincidentally, listed for sale at $9800 on the very same Clink site. Shilling? Oh yeah. Effective? Not in the least. Why bid it all the way up to the reserve? If you want to shill just to create momentum, seems to me you dissuade buyers because they think they're in a bidding war. But what do I know?

Walking Dead #1 9.9 For Sale Listing

Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.9 was listed in the current CLink auction. It was listed with an undisclosed reserve. About a week ago it was at $4000 or so. Then it jumped to $9700, but still did not meet reserve. Coincidentally, the next bid would take it to $9800, the same price as the last copy that sold (11/2012). That last bid never came and the book ended without meeting the reserve.

No brainer here. Knew shilling would be involved when the reserve came AFTER auction start.

No brainer here. Knew shilling would be involved when the reserve came AFTER auction start.

Whoever sold the Ohio Avengers 4 shoulda tried this! :o

There was no shilling.

Like Heritage, Comiclink now take the books to one increment below their reserves a week before the auction end.

Huh? Really???

What exactly is the point of that? Why not just make that the opening bid like Pedigree then (shrug)

There was no shilling.

Like Heritage, Comiclink now take the books to one increment below their reserves a week before the auction end.

Wouldn't doing that be manipulating the market?

I think some people call it shilling.

There was no shilling.

I think it is slightly different than shilling, if, that is their policy. Still doesn't make it right, just a bit different. Shilling involves bidding it up, in increments. CL isn't really doing that. They are moving it up to just below the reserve in one fell swoop. I guess it is two sides of the same coin.

There was no shilling.

I think it is slightly different than shilling, if, that is their policy. Still doesn't make it right, just a bit different. Shilling involves bidding it up, in increments. CL isn't really doing that. They are moving it up to just below the reserve in one fell swoop. I guess it is two sides of the same coin.

Yeah, im a little torn on this one but definitely not thrilled with that practice hm

There was no shilling.

Yeah, im a little torn on this one but definitely not thrilled with that practice hm

I'm even less thrilled with them listing this book (which is mine) in the For Sale area after the auction close without my permission. :sumo:

There was no shilling.

I'm even less thrilled with them listing this book (which is mine) in the For Sale area after the auction close without my permission. :sumo:

Ah, guess that answers why the link isnt working anymore (thumbs u

Sounds manipulative to me.

Link also come up as non exsistent item.

Hmmm, it was working and pulled up when i clicked it right after he started this thread (shrug)

(shrug)

Forget the name of the one show I watch but they do auctions at the end of it and some times the clients set reserves. If the item doesn't make the reserve they cancel the item for sale and move on to the next item.

I have never been a big fan of reserves. If a person wants so much for an item they should just sell it at that price and see if anyone bites and buys in my mind.

There was no shilling.

I could be wrong but I believe that it's actually in the auction listing details that they will move it to the exchange if it didn't meet reserve.

Check your auction listing confirmation email. Mine had that statement in there.