• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else complain to CGC they are overly tight right now?

232 posts in this topic

They're tighter than a nun's chuff right now. Loose? Tight? I don't care either way. Just give me a baseline of consistency. What good is a 3rd party grader if there's variance in grading??

I have another 90 slabs arriving next week. I'll let you know how it goes...

They're tighter than a nun's chuff right now. Loose? Tight? I don't care either way. Just give me a baseline of consistency. What good is a 3rd party grader if there's variance in grading??

Grading is subjective, different graders grade different books at CGC, Perceptions on grade can be influenced by grades assigned to other books, CGC graders don't always agree on grade. You will not find the consistency you seek.

I'd love to see boardies try this experiment: Grade 100 books in your collection and write down grades. Do not look at books or assigned grades for a year. Regrade all 100 books and compare. I'd be curious to see how consistent we all are.

Grading is subjective, different graders grade different books at CGC, Perceptions on grade can be influenced by grades assigned to other books, CGC graders don't always agree on grade. You will not find the consistency you seek.

I'd love to see boardies try this experiment: Grade 100 books in your collection and write down grades. Do not look at books or assigned grades for a year. Regrade all 100 books and compare. I'd be curious to see how consistent we all are.

bs Toro is a rock.

Cry baby nonsense. I hate buying those loosely graded pieces of garbage. I dont care who profits or loses, i just want the book to reflect the grade assigned. This thread really opens eyes.

CGC now has a pressing service attached to them. Pressing has become the norm because people who submit books want the highest possible grade. Why is this thread so eye opening to you?

Gives an idea as to who i should buy from.

they have never been steady

Cry baby nonsense. I hate buying those loosely graded pieces of garbage. I dont care who profits or loses, i just want the book to reflect the grade assigned. This thread really opens eyes.

CGC now has a pressing service attached to them. Pressing has become the norm because people who submit books want the highest possible grade. Why is this thread so eye opening to you?

Because they want the highest possible grade from CGC? They're not the ones over-grading.

Because they want the highest possible grade from CGC? They're not the ones over-grading.

I would like an honest opinion from the seller if the book was graded tight or loose, gives me a better idea as to what im buying. Some people here would not be truthful, or wouldnt know the difference.

I would like an honest opinion from the seller if the book was graded tight or loose, gives me a better idea as to what im buying. Some people here would not be truthful, or wouldnt know the difference.
Thankfully there's a service where you can get books graded by an impartial third party. No need to learn yourself.

A few years ago a book like this would have maybe been 9.6, for sure 9.4. But now it gets hammered to 9.2 killing half the profit for this poor seller. Just not worth it anymore to deal with finding these books just to have CGC arbitrarily lower their value because they are 'tight' right now and no real reason.

newly graded GL on ebay

I disagree - look at the bottom two corners, especially the right one, and the big dent/scrape in the middle above the dinosaur. 9.2 might be a gift grade - many around here would call it 9.0.

Add the scratch on the G in Green Lantern in the lower left text box, and looks like a textbook 9.2 to me - minor flaws that keep it just out of 9.4. I hesitate to call an undergrade based on just a scan of the covers through plastic, and a smallish scan at that. Calling an overgrade is generally easier.

Yeah......, but if you can see that much damage through the two wells, think about what you'd discover if you actually cracked it out :sick:

Nice non sequitur. I want consistency from CGC, as well as the best grades possible on the books I submit, so that makes me either A) a liar or B) ignorant as a result. That makes sense how?

Sell me your CGC 9.2 DP99 for a raw 9.0 price ;)

A few years ago a book like this would have maybe been 9.6, for sure 9.4. But now it gets hammered to 9.2 killing half the profit for this poor seller. Just not worth it anymore to deal with finding these books just to have CGC arbitrarily lower their value because they are 'tight' right now and no real reason.

newly graded GL on ebay

I disagree - look at the bottom two corners, especially the right one, and the big dent/scrape in the middle above the dinosaur. 9.2 might be a gift grade - many around here would call it 9.0.

Add the scratch on the G in Green Lantern in the lower left text box, and looks like a textbook 9.2 to me - minor flaws that keep it just out of 9.4. I hesitate to call an undergrade based on just a scan of the covers through plastic, and a smallish scan at that. Calling an overgrade is generally easier.

Yeah......, but if you can see that much damage through the two wells, think about what you'd discover if you actually cracked it out :sick:

I bet if my boss were a grader he'd be loose.

Cry baby nonsense.

Pat's awesome.

I hope I can make it to NYCC this year; if only to visit with Pat for a a few minutes again.

If the seller's opinion means that much to you, buy raw books. At least this way they're actually responsible for the stated grade.