• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else complain to CGC they are overly tight right now?

232 posts in this topic

It's funny ya' know. Because I've barely used these boards in the past five years. But five years ago these same exact topics were being discussed. Five years from now.... we'll be discussing them again.

Preach it!

:preach:

So word from Comiclink is they called CGC to complain about the tightened grading standards and CGC was in total denial.

The consensus of submitters seems to be there are tougher standards with 9.4-9.6 books getting 9.2s etc.

Hopefully enough big time dealers will call to complain. Tightened standards may be good for buyers, but its more important to have consistent standards to be fair to the sellers.

I got a few books back this week. Some were actually in worse shape than when I sent them in. 1 in particular was missing a chip from the spine side of the cover that was perfectly intact when shipped. May have happened in transit, but who knows? Encapsulation seems to have taken a hit. Lots of dust and other flecks in a couple of the slabs.

Grading: Wildly inconsistent, but strangely tight. I had one book with a detached centerfold come back as a blue label 2.5, but another book in the overall condition, with nicer cover gloss and no detachments, only came in at a 2.0. There seems to be some arbitrary stuff going on.

I knew none of these books were amazing, but most are 1.5 to 2 grades below what I thought, and I've gotten pretty good at predicting what my subs will get...

You all are forgetting the MOST important denominator;

it is WHO sends the comics in( hint hint hint) that gets the benefit of doubt grades...

CAL who knows...

Accurate grading would be preferable.

Tight grading is accurate grading. 'If' CGC is grading tighter I applaud it. The last thing we need is the terrible loose grading from a couple years ago. That was a disgrace to the hobby.

Tight grading is accurate grading. 'If' CGC is grading tighter I applaud it. The last thing we need is the terrible loose grading from a couple years ago. That was a disgrace to the hobby.

That will be last year when I cracked out an X-Men #11 CGC 6.5, gave it to Stan Lee to sign at LSCC, he also pressed it for me as CGC graded it 8.0. :acclaim:

So word from Comiclink is they called CGC to complain about the tightened grading standards and CGC was in total denial.

The consensus of submitters seems to be there are tougher standards with 9.4-9.6 books getting 9.2s etc.

Hopefully enough big time dealers will call to complain. Tightened standards may be good for buyers, but its more important to have consistent standards to be fair to the sellers.

I don't where you are getting your 'facts' from but I don't believe the consensus of submitters are getting 9.2 grades on 9.6 books. I also don't understand why Comiclink would complain. As an auction house they make their money no matter what. Their business model is not dependent on tight or loose grading. They may be seeing a decline in uber prices but that is a reflection of the marketplace, not CGC grading.

That will be last year when I cracked out an X-Men #11 CGC 6.5, gave it to Stan Lee to sign at LSCC, he also pressed it for me as CGC graded it 8.0. :acclaim:

Stan Lee presses books now? Awesome.

This.

yeah word from vintage comics is cgc is tight as h-ll in the 9.2-9.6 range right now. He sounded really upset

What the heck are you talking about? You emailed me out of the blue asking for my opinion and I gave It. I said CGC was tight on higher grade stuff. How did I sound "really upset"?

:makepoint:

First you air a private conversation between you and Josh and now you do the same to me and even add to it something that wasn't in the conversation.

...and all because you want a 9.6 on a book that I told you looked like a 9.2.

:facepalm:

Just got back a submission of high grade stuff...

9.4s coming back as 9.6s, 9.4s coming back as 9.8s.

Yeah, they're real tight right now.

yeah word from vintage comics is cgc is tight as h-ll in the 9.2-9.6 range right now. He sounded really upset

No, he's not....it's almost impossible to upset him.

This.

Overly tight is not accurate, thus the term "overly" tight. Accurate grading is accurate grading. They don't need to strive for overly tight or overly loose. They need to find a standard and stick to it. They need to be consistent. Not fluctuate every 6 months. Thats not good for anyone.

I want to know that when I find a book that looks like a 9.4, it is a 9.4, not a 9.2 or a 9.6.

No, he's not....it's almost impossible to upset him.

Thank you.

:acclaim:

This.

Overly tight is not accurate, thus the term "overly" tight. Accurate grading is accurate grading. They don't need to strive for overly tight or overly loose. They need to find a standard and stick to it. They need to be consistent. Not fluctuate every 6 months. Thats not good for anyone.

I want to know that when I find a book that looks like a 9.4, it is a 9.4, not a 9.2 or a 9.6.

AMEN!

I hate this talk of "overly tight" or "overly loose." At the end of the day, all that matters is consistency... whatever that may be... just stick to it! Today, tomorrow, 5 years from now, 25 years from now. Fluctuating in leniency is the worst thing possible.

Just got back a submission of high grade stuff...

9.4s coming back as 9.6s, 9.4s coming back as 9.8s.

Yeah, they're real tight right now. meh

Your 8.5s are known to come back as 9.4s so it's all relative.

The discussion isn't really about tight/loose vs. Bomber-Bob's personal grading scale or mine or F_T's though. It's about their own internal consistency.

I've been hearing about and seeing a lot of books that have been resubmitted going down in grade, and these are not books from the "loose period" that everyone mentions - these are books from many different periods dating all the way back to 2000.

They have definitely tightened down IMO in the uber grades compared to where they have been - in fact, in my opinion they are probably tighter now that I ever remember them to be in the 9.6/9.8 range.

It seems to be that if a book has a colour breaking defect, no matter how small, it doesn't get a 9.8 - and 9.8 books are not supposed to be perfect. They are allowed to have some small, colour breaking defects.

This has nothing to do with "preserving the uber grades" or "grading tight to satisfy collectors".

Being too tight makes it difficult for sellers.

Being too loose makes it difficult for buyers.

Being right (or consistent within their own grading standards) makes it fair to both sides.

As stated, it's simply about being consistent and fair.