• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else complain to CGC they are overly tight right now?

232 posts in this topic

A few years ago a book like this would have maybe been 9.6, for sure 9.4. But now it gets hammered to 9.2 killing half the profit for this poor seller. Just not worth it anymore to deal with finding these books just to have CGC arbitrarily lower their value because they are 'tight' right now and no real reason.

newly graded GL on ebay

I disagree - look at the bottom two corners, especially the right one, and the big dent/scrape in the middle above the dinosaur. 9.2 might be a gift grade - many around here would call it 9.0.

Add the scratch on the G in Green Lantern in the lower left text box, and looks like a textbook 9.2 to me - minor flaws that keep it just out of 9.4. I hesitate to call an undergrade based on just a scan of the covers through plastic, and a smallish scan at that. Calling an overgrade is generally easier.

They needed to get tighter as I've seen so many examples of fugly NM gift grades over the last year. In a recent sales thread alone I saw 3 or 4 examples of books that had no business obtaining NM grades. Crunched corners, multiple spine ticks, stuff you would rarely see in years had all of sudden become common place.

+1 - quit whining because the undeserved gravy train is over. books from 2010 and 2011 don't deserve the inflated grades they got. they aren't tighter now, they're more accurate.

I purchased my TOS 28 off Harley Yee as a 6.5 and it came back a 6.0 from CGC...this is a 6.5 minimum ALL DAY...and I thought had a shot at a 7.0...

A 6.0 is not the end of the world and I cracked it out anyway...but is a pretty good example of a VERY TIGHTLY graded book at 6.0...IMO...

TALESOFSUSPENSE28VF-.jpg

Maybe if all you big time dealers complain to them now, maybe they will ease up? Please everyone call and complain.

I'm a dealer. I sell CGC books. I'm not going to complain.

Why?

Because they have been terribly lax for a long time now and although I have zero evidence that they are tightening up, I truly hope that they are. :wishluck:

This shouldn't be about short-term profit, but long-term stability. We need books to be graded consistantly accurately...and they haven't been for some time, so I welcome any attempt to right the ship.

You can't have both. There are 12 years worth of books out there - like a million. Do you want consistent with what was done in the past, or tightened up?

I got back some Thor's in the 120--140's from CGC in early October that were all 8.5-9.0. Ok, so strict grading pleases many collectors. But I'm holding in my hand an IM #1 graded 9.4 a year earlier while looking at these Thor's that easily, no one would ever disagree, doesn't look near as nice as any of the 8.5's just received.

So answering my own question, I value consistency over anything else. If you don't like the way a 9.4 looks, only purchase 9.6+ books. But having grading standards all over the place over couple of years is a bad thing. For everyone.

Well, your IM #1 isn't a NM, then.

CGC started out fine...a real wake-up call with their toughness. If they are going back to that, fine by me. (thumbs u

They needed to get tighter as I've seen so many examples of fugly NM gift grades over the last year. In a recent sales thread alone I saw 3 or 4 examples of books that had no business obtaining NM grades. Crunched corners, multiple spine ticks, stuff you would rarely see in years had all of sudden become common place.

+1 - quit whining because the undeserved gravy train is over. books from 2010 and 2011 don't deserve the inflated grades they got. they aren't tighter now, they're more accurate.

(worship)

So would the letter read something like this?

Dear CGC,

I want to resell my books for more than they're worth.

Sincerely,

Crazy person

Lower grades got you down bub? :(

Guess what? :idea:

Arriving just in time to combat the CGC tight grading is CCS! :acclaim:

Walk down the hall and speak to the boys at CCS and they will turn your crummy 9.2 into the 9.6 you deserve and turn your frown upside down :)

:whistle:

Dear CGC,

Sincerely,

Crazy person

No, more like this:

Dear CGC,

Please loosen back up and grade my piece o' mess book higher so I can make more on it when I sell it.

Thank you,

Mr. Collector-Dealer-Flipper, Esq.

Dear CGC,

Sincerely,

Crazy person

No, more like this:

Dear CGC,

Please loosen back up and grade my piece o' mess book higher so I can make more on it when I sell it.

Thank you,

Mr. Collector-Dealer-Flipper, Esq.

hm my mistake

I've seen the same cycle with sports card grading for several years. Loose grading then tight grading back to loose back to tight. PSA, SGC, BGS. Doesn't matter. Never ending cycle. Buy the card not the holder, buy the comic not the slab. When submitting either, pray :grin:

They're tightening stuff up so that you resub through CCS for a higher grade.

Cry baby nonsense. I hate buying those loosely graded pieces of garbage. I dont care who profits or loses, i just want the book to reflect the grade assigned. This thread really opens eyes.

CGC now has a pressing service attached to them. Pressing has become the norm because people who submit books want the highest possible grade. Why is this thread so eye opening to you?