• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alex Schomburg: Can you suggest a good book about him?

40 posts in this topic

Anyone have a good suggestion for a book which covers Alex Schomburg? If you've read one and can recommend it, I'd love to check it out!

Seems like, whenever Timely's are mentioned in books, they talk mainly about Goodman, Joe Simon & Jack kirby, Stan Lee and Bill Everett,...seems they don't even venture to mention Alex? What up with that?!? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't believe he was even mentioned in "The Comic Book Makers" or "Tales to Astonish". 893frustrated.gifmakepoint.gif

There was a large size paperback that came out a few years ago called Chroma: the art of Alex Schomburg. It shows up on ebay in the $12-20 range on a fairly regular basis. Also Bud plant might have a few copies. I keep meaning to pick up one myself - I have no idea how comprehensive it is. Also a couple issues of Comic Book Marketplace have featured articles on Schomburg, though I can'r remember which ones off-hand.

There was a large size paperback that came out a few years ago called Chroma: the art of Alex Schomburg.

It's a very cool book. I'm pretty sure it's got some decent biographical information (I haven't actually read it in probably 15 years). It's also got a ton of great art reproduced- which is all I look at when I pull it out now.

Thanks Nearmint, for finally replacing that Church Flash #1 as my desktop background! What a great cover on that book!

Glad to be of assistance. It was one of my grail books.

I used to have a Thrilling #16...I was going to collect the run until I read the stories. They ain't so good, really...

I used to have a Thrilling #16...I was going to collect the run until I read the stories. They ain't so good, really...

Nedors were MADE for CGC. Many of the covers are awesome, the stories are usually pretty terrible.

Nedors were MADE for CGC. Many of the covers are awesome, the stories are usually pretty terrible.

I only buy them for the Schomburg covers. It's like buying a limited edition print.

I've always heard this, and since I've only owned three or four Nedors, it may very well be true. But the copy of Fighting Yank 27 I got last week had some terrific stories; all held my interest and were well written. And the artwork by Jerry Robinson and Mort Meskin was great. So at least a few Nedors are floating around out there that may be worth reading.

I've always heard this, and since I've only owned three or four Nedors, it may very well be true. But the copy of Fighting Yank 27 I got last week had some terrific stories; all held my interest and were well written. And the artwork by Jerry Robinson and Mort Meskin was great. So at least a few Nedors are floating around out there that may be worth reading.

There are definitely some exceptions. People like Frazetta and Graham Ingels even graced their interiors later on.

Towards the end Nedor did get some talented people to at least draw their interiors. Any war era Nedor I've seen has pretty lame stories and interior art - but lots of great Schomburg covers. Love that Startling, Nearmint - If you look at in the right frame of mind, it looks like those Japanese firemen think it's pretty funny that Pyroman is interfering with their job.

Nearmint, that cover date is 09/45. That's got to be one of the very last anti-Axis WWII covers in print - obviously it was on the stands 07/45, but have you seen anything later than that? The war ended 09/01/45 - I wonder if there is any "October" 1945 dated war covers... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As we've discussed in the Nedor forum, I've always symbolically thought of Thrilling #50 as the last war cover, with the soldier coming off the ship, and being welcomed by friends, family, a brass band, etc., but in the very next issue, Thrilling #51 in December 1945, the Commando Cubs are back fighting the Japanese. This book must've his the stands sometime in October, well after the Japanese surrender(in August, I believe?). I suspect Nedor already had the cover done and decided to run it anyway. Or perhaps, comics were printed that far in advance, I don't know.

Other Nedor war covers are also fairly late: Black Terror #12 is November of '45, Fighting Yank #13 is also November(with a great cover showing the Japanese putting live snakes in a fenced off area where they've trapped four American kids. The Church copy of this book was in the last Heritage auction).

Another Nedor that could be considered the last war cover is America's Best #13(January, 1946), showing The Black Terror and The Fighting Yank helping the air force repair some downed planes. No fighting or axis soldiers on that cover, but it clearly has the feel of a war cover.

I'll post some covers later if I'm not busy at work.

Jeff

Here's the Thrilling #51, dated December of '45. Someone forgot to tell the Commando Cubs that the war has been over for months. Pic courtesy of comics.org:

thrilling51.jpg

And here's the America's Best #16. After closer inspection, I would definitely have to consider this a war cover. The two guys in the back are still wearing their parachutes, their plane having just been shot down. Dated January of 1946. Pic courtesy of comics.org:

ambest16.jpg

It would be interesting to hear from West about when the last Timely war covers were printed. And Shield, what were the last MLJ war covers?

Jeff

Well, MLJ in 1943 or so really focused on Archie and other funny characters. Althougth the company produced the very first WWII cover, their only cover I can find from even 1944 was Shield-Wizard #13.

shieldwizard13.jpg