• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toughest Silver Age KEY DCs to find in high grade

66 posts in this topic

QC, didn't know you were into DCs!

Technically, Jimmy Olson isn't a SA book, since it's from 1954. But you're right, it is unbelievably hard to find in high grade. My nominations for toughest SA keys in HG are B&B 29, Showcase 8, OAW 82 and GI Combat 87. These are all books that are worth big $$$ (well, the OAW 82 and GI Combat 87 don't have real high Guide prices, but if they ever appeared in 9.0 or higher, throw the guide out because the feeding frenzy would be epic), and yet the highest copies in the census are 8.0s.

TTH, a quick perusal of the census certainly backs you up. The top-census grade for Showcase 8 is 8.0, and only 3 copies make that grade. BB29 has identical statistics. Even tougher are the Challengers and other early Showcase issues, with Showcase 5 having only a single 7.5 as top grade and the first Challengers ish having only 2 copies graded 8.0. Showcase 8,10, and 13 have only 3 graded copies at 8.0 or better. Don't know if it should be included in the Silver Age, but there is also only a single Det225 in 8.0.

And who says VF can't be considered high grade smirk.gif?

Technically, Jimmy Olson isn't a SA book, since it's from 1954. But you're right, it is unbelievably hard to find in high grade. My nominations for toughest SA keys in HG are B&B 29, Showcase 8, OAW 82 and GI Combat 87. These are all books that are worth big $$$ (well, the OAW 82 and GI Combat 87 don't have real high Guide prices, but if they ever appeared in 9.0 or higher, throw the guide out because the feeding frenzy would be epic), and yet the highest copies in the census are 8.0s.

Try finding a B&B #25 in strict Fine or better or an Action #242 in VF or better. I checked every dealer at Chicago this weekend and no one had a B&B in better than G+ 2.5 or an Action #242 in better than G 2.0. I've been looking for a long time for both, online and off, with no luck. They are relatively available in low grade, but once you get even as high as mid-grade, both books are tough as hell. High grade? HAHAHAHAHAHA Yeah right.

I checked every dealer at Chicago this weekend and no one had a B&B in better than G+ 2.5 or an Action #242 in better than G 2.0. I've been looking for a long time for both, online and off, with no luck. They are relatively available in low grade, but once you get even as high as mid-grade, both books are tough as hell. High grade? HAHAHAHAHAHA Yeah right.

There is a big difference between tough in high grade, and tough in any grade cool.gif

I checked every dealer at Chicago this weekend and no one had a B&B in better than G+ 2.5 or an Action #242 in better than G 2.0. I've been looking for a long time for both, online and off, with no luck. They are relatively available in low grade, but once you get even as high as mid-grade, both books are tough as hell. High grade? HAHAHAHAHAHA Yeah right.

There is a big difference between tough in high grade, and tough in any grade cool.gif

True, but if the thread were called "Toughest Silver Age KEY DCs to find in ANY grade," it would be the shortest thread in the world. They're all plentiful in lower grades.

Try finding a B&B #25 in strict Fine or better or an Action #242 in VF or better. I checked every dealer at Chicago this weekend and no one had a B&B in better than G+ 2.5 or an Action #242 in better than G 2.0. I've been looking for a long time for both, online and off, with no luck. They are relatively available in low grade, but once you get even as high as mid-grade, both books are tough as hell. High grade? HAHAHAHAHAHA Yeah right.

Yeah, the top tier heroes, which are worth big bucks, are super hard to find in high grade, and the second-tier heroes, like Suicide Squad, which are not worth such big bucks, are flat out impossible. Of course, it's been stated on these boards that hoards of perfect copies of these and all other DC SA are sitting in private collections just waiting to be released, so have no fear! Just read the obits...

How about 'Tec #225? Can we slide that one in even though it's pre Showcase #4?

I've always considered Detective 225 to be a SA book, even though it came before Showcase 4, which I consider to be the first SA book. Not very logical, I know...

I agree that Tec 225 is impossible to find in high grade.

What would a NM Action #242 sell for?

My best guess? $18-20K in 9.4 . . . IF you could find one. That is one book where you'd know you'd never have to worry about a nicer copy showing up in the census.

Wow! GPA doesn't have anything for Action #180 thru #259 in 9.0 thru 10. 893whatthe.gif

GPA only has Action #242 in 5.5 as the highest grade sold -- $450.

That doesn't surprise me at all. There are hardly any issues from this period in 9.0 or higher to begin with, and then they'd have to be sold on eBay or one of the big auction sites like Heritage or Pedigreecomics.com to get listed in GPA. Burntboy made the same point about early SA GLs, he just couldn't find much public pricing info for high grade copies.