• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All-Americans, post 'em if you got 'em!!!

45 posts in this topic

After taking 6 weeks or so off from the boards (a man's gotta work), I've been rejuvenated by the Chicago convention and dinner, and took the time to scan a run that I'm particularly proud of: my early All-American Comics. Issue #1 isn't too hard to find, but the next 14 issues (up until Green Lantern first appears) are just basically missing (some worse than others). Of course, no one really notices this because no one actively collects these issues.

Thus, they exhibit exactly what I'm looking for in my collection: true scarcity combined with low demand, which in turn leads to affordable issues (when they can be located).

Although the issues I'm posting are mostly the very earliest ones, I think the entire run is fantastic and would love to see copies from other collectors. There are plenty of obscure Green Lantern covers that deserve some air time.

I'll start off with All-American #2:

All-American2Front.jpg

Here's All-American #3. There are NO copies of this issue in the census, and none of the big guys at the Chicago forum dinner had ever seen a copy before (or at least, they were nice enough to tell me that they hadn't). crazy.gif

All-American3Front.jpg

I don't have a copy of issue #4, one of three All-Americans (along with #3 and #7) that have no copies in the census. I'd sure like one, though..... wink.gif

Next up, All-American 5. CGC unrestored 6.5, the highest-graded (and only) blue label copy:

All-American5Front.jpg

All-American #8 features the first Ultra-Man appearance and cover. Given that his adventures were set in the year 2239, two hundred years in the future, after the great War of 1950 ( blush.gif), he never got to interact with the other heroes in All Star Comics. This, along with the fact that his costume was a diaper, pretty much doomed him to obscurity.

All-American8Front.jpg

Next up, a slightly-less-rare issue, #14. This one is CGC 7.0 unrestored. I never understood why the heavy guy to the left chose to ignore his parachute and instead use his tiny clown umbrella. And why even carry a tiny clown umbrella when you're going into aerial combat? Seems like a foolish misallocation of scarce resources to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

All-American14Front.jpg

And what's with those socks?

I don't have a copy of #15.

Now, the Holy Grail, straight from an appearance at Gibson's Steakhouse in Rosemont, Illinois.......

All-American%2016%20Front.jpg

CGC 7.0, Moderate restoration. Pretty much the only way I could afford it...

Once we hit All-American #16, I stop actively trying to collect them. The number of available copies increases a bit, and the price soars. I'm never going to get a copy of every Centaur if I spend my money on early DC superhero books. Those things will bankrupt you in a hurry.

However, I do have two more. This first one was acquired from Harley Yee this past weekend. All-American #19, featuring the first Atom (and the last Ultra-Man, alas. The torch was passed).

All-American19Front.jpg

We move all the way to 1944 for my final All-American issue. Normally I stop collecting if the year passes 1940, but this is an issue I couldn't resist. All-American 61:

All-American61Front.jpg

The first appearance of Solomon Grundy, and the best Grundy cover ever. The story is fantastic, with Grundy emerging from the swamp and basically wreaking havoc with the entire city. Not inherently evil, he's adopted by a criminal gang and learns that killing is fun. After 11 brutal murders (most off-screen), he knocks Green Lantern so silly that, when Alan Scott finally reawakens, he is unable to properly speak his oath and forgets to even wear his ring. Only when Grundy is hit by a train does the reign of terror end.

Ok, those are mine. Break open your collections and let's see yours! There are 89 more issues of the series yet to be posted...

Nice run!! Love the cover to #11. I recall that the Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics reprinted the original Red Tornado story arc of Scribbly, amazing stuff - probably the best written stuff from the early Golden Age. Sheldon Mayer was a genius. Now that you've posted some early issues, I'm hoping someone else posts some All-American Westerns with those incredible Toth covers.

Unfortunately , I own no All-Americans, but #61 is on my eventual want list.

I don't have a copy of #15.

Here's a #15. The copy has had some amateur restoration (rebuilt spine and color touch). My only Ultra-Man cover. Unfortunately, the blue colors are out of register with the rest.

Oh, if only that kid would have held onto his dime for one more month.

all_american_15.jpg