• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There's a new (Paypal) scam in town.

6 posts in this topic

Hello. I can see that you have a good reputation

on eBay and are trustworthy. Currently I am on vacations in Ukraine.

I am writing you to ask a favor of you not only will it help me out much

but you will also make a some amount of money just for helping me.

You see I have only taken $2500 with me in cash and my credit card,

I have depleted all my cash and have been informed by my bank that

my card is restricted here. What I have in mind is that I can send you

some funds via PayPal, than you can inturn send the money back

to me via Western Union. I will pay you 7% for doing so

and I will pay for all fees. Please help if you can it is very

important I need to get this done very soon as currently I am in a

internet cafe and waiting for your response.

It isn't too difficult to see how this goes. The guy paypals you funds, you send a Western Union payment and then he hits you with a chargeback. But can anybody see anyway to make this guy pay? Would it be possible to set up a 2nd paypal account and then clear the funds into a bank account straight away whilst keeping the scammer hanging on for the bank draft? Can paypal do a chargeback if your account is empty?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Obviously the guy's dealing with stolen credit cards, so he doesn't care and won't be issuing a chargeback, the credit card company will.

Of course, if you willingly take part in this type of illegal money laundering scam, then a chargeback will be the least of your worries.

How long does a charge back take? I don't think you'd be able to get the funds out of your account quick enough before any charge back took effect. Unless of course you have a Paypal CC tied to your account and went and immediately purchased a nice CGC encapsulated issue with those very same funds.

As mentioned you don't know if the wanker is using his own funds or a stolen credit card anyway.

..but maybe if the wanker were to send the Paypal funds to one of the boards esteemed rip-off artist's Paypal address? Ask the funds sender to enter in the Paypal note field "from everyone on the CGC boards".

CRC

I have to go with JC on this one. Just stay clear of the entire thing. Yes, it would be fun to burn one of these scammers but they are most definately not using their own credit card.

Sometimes honesty is really the best policy. thumbsup2.gif

A guy in this country recently took a Nigerian scammer ("I own an oil field and desparately need... 893blahblah.gif") for £50, by telling him that he would be happy to assist but needed funds to pay bank fees. The scammer was happy to send him the fees, which he then gave to charity.

I had my eye on a similar line, although I do like the idea of introducing him to an ebay scam artist with a NM Amazing Fantasy 15 to sell.