• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just bought my first PGX book

63 posts in this topic

I too have noticed that PGX books often sell for cheaper than if they were raw. I guess when the guy running the show established a history of thievery, chicanery, incompetence and deception, it was only a matter of time until his reputation trickled down onto his product, like a wet turd plopping onto a non-PVC slab.

I think it's ok to post one here, just not try to sell it.

Arch even stated that before. It is okay to post a PGX book. It is not allowed to sell it on a CGC forum.

I've kept this one in the case for years, though I have been tempted to submit it into CGC while still in the PGX case to see how it would fare. It's a gorgeous example of a favorite Batman story.

51U2xmvl.jpg

$18.50 shipped, most probably because collectors were backing off on buying PGX books.

:whee:

Arch even stated that before. It is okay to post a PGX book. It is not allowed to sell it on a CGC forum.

I've kept this one in the case for years, though I have been tempted to submit it into CGC while still in the PGX case to see how it would fare. It's a gorgeous example of a favorite Batman story.

51U2xmvl.jpg

$18.50 shipped, most probably because collectors were backing off on buying PGX books.

Is this a platinum edition or is their grade "platinum mint 10"?

With PGX's reputation down in the dumps, I think it would be a good idea if a group of investors or a group of comic book affiliated people who have some money to spend to buy out PGX from the current owner and turn it around for the better to rival CGC. I mean they have a name, a great looking and reliable slab, and a fast turn around. They just need a new direction with people who can detect restoration and trimming efficiently like CGC.

51U2xmvl.jpg

Is this a platinum edition or is their grade "platinum mint 10"?

They/he actually has a grade called "Platinum Mint" vs. 9.9's "Mint" grade.

10.0 – Platinum Mint

This is an exceptional example of a given book – the best ever seen. The slightest bindery defects and/or printing flaws may be seen only upon very close inspection. The overall look is “as if it has never been handled or released for purchase.” Only the slightest bindery or printing defects are allowed, and these would be imperceptible on first viewing. No bindery tears. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity. Well centered and firmly secured to interior pages. Corners are cut square and sharp. No creases. No dates or stamped markings allowed. No soiling, staining or other discoloration. Spine is tight and flat. No spine roll or split allowed. Staples must be original, centered and clean with no rust. No staple tears or stress lines. Paper is white, supple and fresh. No hint of acidity in the odor of the newsprint. No interior autographs or owner signatures. Centerfold is firmly secure. No interior tears.

9.9 – Mint

Near perfect in every way. Only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed. No bindery tears. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity. Generally well centered and firmly secured to interior pages. Corners are cut square and sharp. No creases. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. No soiling, staining or other discoloration. Spine is tight and flat. No spine roll or split allowed. Staples must be original, generally centered and clean with no rust. No staple tears or stress lines. Paper is white, supple and fresh. No hint of acidity in the odor of the newsprint. Centerfold is firmly secure. No interior tears.

With PGX's reputation down in the dumps, I think it would be a good idea if a group of investors or a group of comic book affiliated people who have some money to spend to buy out PGX from the current owner and turn it around for the better to rival CGC. I mean they have a name, a great looking and reliable slab, and a fast turn around. They just need a new direction with people who can detect restoration and trimming efficiently like CGC.

You'd be wasting your money. You'd have to buy the business, change the name, move it out of the area, not run it out of your house, actually hire professional staff and set up at big shows, and so much more. Salvaging that name would be like salvaging the Titanic hoping to make it sail again - not going to happen. PGX is too far damaged at this point.

You'd be better off starting a new business and retaining Steve Borock and other past CGC employees to build a new company. However, I hear Borock will not come cheap :whistle:

If you were to start your own grading company, the only thing PGX would be good for is an example of what not to do.

I was a big supporter of PGX way back in the beginning of the company. Really only because they were cheap and fast. Made sense to me at the time. But that was years ago. I can't remember how many, 6-7 years ago maybe when they were still fairly new? Anyway, I stopped using them because as others have mentioned here, the PGX slabs were just not selling for the same price as their CGC counterparts.

With that said, with whatever is going on at PGX, they are still around today. We are all calling PGX a bad business model, a joke, etc. but they are still around. If PGX was not making money they would be long gone. So who gets the last laugh here? These guys have been around a while now. I'd say they (he) is doing all right.

Wasn't it called CGG back in the beginning? In any event, I would not use them again, not because they are a poor service, but because I'd lose money when it came time to sell my books (as opposed to using CGC). Still though, small potatoes or not, I like having options out there. If they are still fast, from what I have been reading about CGC's turnaround times, it may be a reasonable option for some people.

You'd be wasting your money. You'd have to buy the business, change the name, move it out of the area, not run it out of your house, actually hire professional staff and set up at big shows, and so much more. Salvaging that name would be like salvaging the Titanic hoping to make it sail again - not going to happen. PGX is too far damaged at this point.

You'd be better off starting a new business and retaining Steve Borock and other past CGC employees to build a new company. However, I hear Borock will not come cheap :whistle:

If you were to start your own grading company, the only thing PGX would be good for is an example of what not to do.

I agree that salvaging the PGX name would not be a great idea to deal with customers because everyone knows their reputation. Changing the company name and hiring the proper staff members would be the ideal resolution to the problem. Borock can maybe act as a part time advisor to train the graders or any other past senior CGC grader. Kinda like free-lance work. So ya it is like starting an entire new business, but perhaps using the same slab technology should be fine. Wasn't there another comic book stabbing company? Much smaller, located in Canada I think? I remember seeing a book graded by them

Bingo!

Other than making sure grandma keeps the chocolate chip cookies warm for employee morale.

V9zK4ri.jpg

It's worth more in a Mylar (thumbs u
+1

+1

I would never buy a PGX book.

You should've paypal'd me $20 and let me kick you in the nutz.

I just kicked myself in the nuts for reading this whole thread.

Paypal me $10 and we'll call it even. :grin:

51U2xmvl.jpg

C'mon.... crack it... do it do it do it. You know you want to. Roll the dice for a CGC 10. :headbang:

O.K. but don't squeal on me if I send it personal. Another 100 page thread may erupt out of nowhere.

O.K. but don't squeal on me if I send it personal. Another 100 page thread may erupt out of nowhere.

lol Well, tomorrow is Friday...

Bingo!

Other than making sure grandma keeps the chocolate chip cookies warm for employee morale.

V9zK4ri.jpg

:signfunny:

The sad part is this is probably close to the truth. lol

Bingo!

V9zK4ri.jpg

:signfunny:

The sad part is this is probably close to the truth. lol

(worship)