• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Raffle - Help me raise funds for the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation.

8 posts in this topic

team-challenge-banner-photo_zpsbd3e3438.jpg

Hello all,

I know I do not post much on the general forum since I tend to spend all my time trying to grab great books in the For Sale forum. But I'm writing today to ask your help in raising funds for a great cause. On June 8th, 2013 I will be running in the Chicago Half Marathon for the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America to help find a cure for Crohn’s Disease & Ulcerative Colitis (which is not going easy for a guy built for lifting furnature rather than running long distances).

You may be wondering what Chrone’s and Colitis are? The simple definition is that they are inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) that attack the digestive system. Ulcerative colitis targets the colon specifically and causes painful ulcers to form there. Essentially it turns eating into something you dread because the discomfort and pain it causes can be excruciating, and even life threatening. This disease hits close to home since my brother-in-law was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis at the age of 18 and had to indure numerous surgeries to keep going.

I have committed to raise a minimum of $2,400 in donations for the CCFA. The funds raised through Team Challenge directly benefit the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation in support of its mission to find a cure and improve the quality of life of children and adults affected by these diseases. Since its inception, CCFA has invested their dollars wisely, funding the highest-quality IBD research anywhere in the world. Help me help them! More than 80 cents of every dollar raised goes directly toward research, education, and support services.

I will take care of the training and 13.1 miles, but I need your help to reach my fundraising goal. To make a tax-deductible donation, please either 1) visit my website and make a contribution at Donation Page , or 2) write a check to the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America or CCFA and mail it to me (send me a PM and I'll give you my address). Please make your donations by May 20th, my personal fundraising deadline. If your company matches charitable contributions or if you are interested in a corporate sponsorship, please PM me directly.

I'm already training for the run but I want to do more to help bring in the donations. On May 10th, I'll raffle off a spotless X-Men 133 which was graded 9.4 by CGC. For every $10 a person donates I will put that person's name in a basket and the name drawn at noon on May 10th wins the comic (including shipping). So if you donate $40 - you get 4 chances to win the book. For my own book keeping, please PM me once you make a donation and I'll keep track that way.

I know everyone has their own issues and problems but the money raised for this cause helps a lot of good people live a normal life like most of us enjoy. Thanks in advance for your donation and feel free to PM me with any question or to get more information about the run or the foundation.

Team_Challenge_2012_Banner_zpsb4631b37.jpg

As I sit at home for the next 6 weeks recovering from having all of my large intestine removed, I'm moved at the notion of having the raffle to raise funds for Crohn's/Colitis, which is an organization close to my heart. Thanks for doing what you are doing. I've struggled with indeterminate Crohn's/Colitis for nearly 20 years and am always so impressed by the work of the CCFA. They even sponsored a couple of "zombie" walks here in STL to raise funds and awareness.

A great organization and a great raffle.

My sister-in-law suffers from crohn's and my mother has colitis and diverticulitis. I'm sitting here recovering from having my rectum, all surrounding tissue, and part of my colon removed (stage 3 colorectal cancer). I have to talk to the wife to see what funds we have left but expect something from me.

Good luck!

Thanks guys! I'm amazed to hear all the stories about all the people suffering from these diseases and I never heard anything about it. Tony had his colon removed when he was 19 and he just turned 30 and is doing pretty well. Keep your spirits up and know that you are not going through it alone.

I got my first PM yesterday which came from this thread. And thanks guys for the personal stories. It helps to put a face to these diseases. And if you guys can think of another way I can intice people to donate - let me know.