• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My experience with Mike Dringenberg

304 posts in this topic

folks do get tired of getting stacks and stacks of window bagged books getting placed in front of them to sign, when they know they'll get graded and sold.

This is pretty much true for anyone who has to *work* for a living. Just because I get tired of clients making changes to their designs doesn't give me the right to be an jerk to their face.

It has nothing to do with being "jaded" - when I feel that I am being taken advantage of by clients - GASP - I change my policies to better protect my business. This is a pretty basic business philosophy, and for Dringenberg to not grasp that (and any other "professional" artist who gets plssy with autographs) is pretty reflective of where his intelligence level is.

This guy deserves all the nerd outrage because - frankly - there's enough unprofessional people in the world junking it up for everyone else. I think we can do with one less douchenozzle who thinks that he's so famous, his comic book convention autographs should be exclusive.

folks do get tired of getting stacks and stacks of window bagged books getting placed in front of them to sign, when they know they'll get graded and sold.

This is pretty much true for anyone who has to *work* for a living. Just because I get tired of clients making changes to their designs doesn't give me the right to be an jerk to their face.

It has nothing to do with being "jaded" - when I feel that I am being taken advantage of by clients - GASP - I change my policies to better protect my business. This is a pretty basic business philosophy, and for Dringenberg to not grasp that (and any other "professional" artist who gets plssy with autographs) is pretty reflective of where his intelligence level is.

This guy deserves all the nerd outrage because - frankly - there's enough unprofessional people in the world junking it up for everyone else. I think we can do with one less douchenozzle who thinks that he's so famous, his comic book convention autographs should be exclusive.

:applause:

And for the record, I have had to sell my own art at cons - and granted, I don't have the same noteriety as Mike Dringenberg - but I have had to sell art to make a living, as well as go to conventions and deal with people for 10 hours a day for three days straight. I am vocal about this particular situation because I take offense to ungrateful artists in the profession.

Yes, it's tiring. Yes, it's a pain-in-the-. Yes, it can be frustrating when it feels like you're not making as much as you'd hoped. But - still - no excuse to rip on fans who feel that your work is worthy enough for resale in the secondary market, or even worthy enough to buy with their hard-earned money.

For all the outrage over what happened from the fan side, there has been a different reaction from the creator side. No one is excusing what happened, but folks do get tired of getting stacks and stacks of window bagged books getting placed in front of them to sign, when they know they'll get graded and sold.

Who cares if it's going to be sold? Eventually it ends up in the hands of someone who appreciates it. If they can't stand the thought of someone making money off of their signature, stop doing SS. But don't lash out by ruining someone else's property.

This is painfully simple.

Very interesting topic. I can see the creators side as far as you dont want people to freely profit off of you and take away from fans who genuinely want to own something from you. If your personalizing books and someone just dumps a random stack in front of you with no name to put, what do you write?

Your name and thank them for supporting your work? Then hopefully they purchase some items off your table?

If its a guy from CGC with a bunch of books who he doesnt even know who theyre for, how does he give the creator a name to personalize it to.

Sorry, i dont buy it!

How can he be upset about the "commuditization" of his sig when a BUNCH of people have noted that there is a grand total of ONE of them on eBay. ONE!

Yeah, people are really going to the bank with his sig!!! :facepalm:

Maybe he is a good guy and was just having a bad day for whatever reason but that excuse doesnt fly whatsoever :preach:

Very interesting topic. I can see the creators side as far as you dont want people to freely profit off of you and take away from fans who genuinely want to own something from you. If your personalizing books and someone just dumps a random stack in front of you with no name to put, what do you write?

Your name and thank them for supporting your work? Then hopefully they purchase some items off your table?

If its a guy from CGC with a bunch of books who he doesnt even know who theyre for, how does he give the creator a name to personalize it to.

Hello Mr. Dringenberg,

These twenty books are for my friend Mr. Franklin, as in Benjamin; however, he'll understand if you don't personalize them. Thank you for taking the time to sign. See you next year.

Hello Mr. Dringenberg,

These twenty books are for my friend Mr. Franklin, as in Benjamin; however, he'll understand if you don't personalize them. Thank you for taking the time to sign. See you next year.

that works but im pretty sure Mr Franklin didnt show up and make an appearance in his pocket

Hello Mr. Dringenberg,

that works but im pretty sure Mr Franklin didnt show up and make an appearance in his pocket

The person with the book in question had plenty of money on hand to pay Mr. Dringenberg if it had been necessary. That was posted several times in the other thread. Dringeberg went off half cocked fueled by an inflated idea of the value and importance of his autograph.

^^

This was sort of a blessing, that book in now famous and has added value because of the back drop story I bet

The only person who should be interested in acquiring that book is Dringenberg. Sadfan's book is to Dringenberg as an iceberg is to the Titanic.

I assume Dringenberg speaks English? If so he can open and his mouth and tell the facilitator that he won't sign any books without them being personalized. Or refuse to sign the books, politely or impolitely. Or come up with rules beforehand so that this isn't an issue and people know the deal beforehand.

There are a myriad of examples from other artists at cons handling all of the issues. They all handle it professionally. He didn't and he has no one to blame but himself.

All I can say at this point is I am glad I didn't start this thread, because another -5 would be devastating.

lol

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=userposts&view=started&id=4646

I have started some awesome threads.

All of which have a potential -5.