• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My experience with Mike Dringenberg

304 posts in this topic

How about something like this?

CGC Signature Series

What Is It?

CGC Signature Series is a service offered by Comics Guaranty Corporation where a company authorized witness must see a creator sign a comic they worked on so that they can in turn submit the comic to CGC for grading, encapsulation, and certification that the signature is genuine. CGC has been grading and encapsulating comics since 2000 and the first independent, third party grading service. The encapsulation of the comic is designed to maintain the grade/condition of the book after the grading process. The capsules (often referred to as "slabs") are also tamper evident, a feature that is very important to autograph collectors, creating a perfect marriage for comic collectors. There are stringent guidelines and a strict code of ethics to be a CGC witness.

Who Buys CGC Signature Series?

Collectors of CGC Signature Series are as varied as comics themselves and the reasons they collect them are equally varied. Some of the most common reasons:

• A special connection to the book itself that is enhanced by knowing that book has been handled by its creator.
  • A momento of meeting the creator or of a special trip.
  • A way to obtain authentic signatures of creators that the fan cannot meet themselves.
  • Completing a set, or adding an extra "special something" to a set.
  • Creating a unique collectible by getting signatures from one or more creators.
  • Added value in the secondary marketplace.

The last reason frequently raises eyebrows. Generally, the signature of a talent related to an item will add value to that item. This is true in any hobby and comics are no exception. It is not uncommon to see CGC Signature Series items listed on eBay at multiples of the price of their ungraded counterparts. Keep in mind that CGC is a business, like any other, and they charge fees for the grading and encapsulation of comics. The base rate starts at $18 (plus shipping to and from CGC and insurance) and go up to $95 per book (again, plus shipping and insurance). A good median investment for the physical items and CGC's grading service is $75 per book for new items once shipping and insurance are added. In addition to this, there is the investment of time on the part of the people at the conventions and appearances to obtain signatures as well as their expenses involved in admission fees, travel fees, hotel fees, meals and so on, just like any other convention exhibitor or attendee.

Why Should I Sign?

Not everyone can attend the conventions that their favorite creators are attending, this allows those fans to get a signature that they know is authentic. It may not just be "a" book by that creator, but "their" book by that creator. It is very common for fans to send their own books to a CGC authorized witness to take to a show to be signed, again creating that special connection.

That's A Stack of Books, Aren't These Just Going To Wind Up on eBay?

As many fans will send their books to a witness for a particular creator, these witnesses may have several books for a single creator, including multiples of the same book. It is understandable that there would be concerns about unscrupulous autograph seekers selling copies on the secondary market. CGC authorized witnesses are required to identify themselves and let the signer know that the books are to be submitted to CGC in an effort to avoid any misunderstanding or hard feelings. The collectors that utilize these services and the witnesses themselves are very understanding about the demands that these may place on creators and their time at a convention and are generally happy to compensate the signers or accommodate requests to allow other fans to come first and that the books will be signed as time permits. There are certainly CGC Signature Series books on eBay from many creators and it is not uncommon for the CGC authorized witnesses to attempt to recoup some of their costs associated with attending conventions by selling books. That's not all of the secondary market, though. There are collectors who have had a change in collecting focus, are in need of money, are getting out of the hobby, or are financing another collectible purchase.

Isn't This Just Manufacturing A "Limited Edition" Without Authorization?

No. As long as there are other copies of a book out there and the creator is willing to sign, there can be more of that book graded and certified.

That looks like a pretty good start. I'd actually kick off with "What is CGC" and then "What is Signature Series".

I've got some other ideas too - might PM them to you if that's OK.

Adam

Absolutely! Send 'em on!

unscrupulous autograph seekers selling copies on the secondary market.

meh

:screwy:

Since you have gone non-verbal, I will take this up.

If I do two copies of Sixth Gun for SS knowing I am going to sell or trade the second one, is that unscrupulous?

If I buy all of Jeremy Bastian's CPG #1s and SS them and sell them, except the one that I keep, is that unscrupulous? Does your answer change if, at the same show, I did 25 other SS books for my permanent collection?

If I get the chance to do some Stan Lee's in a private signing, and I move 4 of the 12 I do to pay for the cost of the 8 I keep, is that unscrupulous?

The word unscrupulous troubles me, as it does, apparently, the sometimes mime.

meh

If I do two copies of Sixth Gun for SS knowing I am going to sell or trade the second one, is that unscrupulous?

If I buy all of Jeremy Bastian's CPG #1s and SS them and sell them, except the one that I keep, is that unscrupulous? Does your answer change if, at the same show, I did 25 other SS books for my permanent collection?

If I get the chance to do some Stan Lee's in a private signing, and I move 4 of the 12 I do to pay for the cost of the 8 I keep, is that unscrupulous?

+1

meh

:cloud9:

When I think of Sean unscrupulous isn't a word that comes close to describing him or his passion for comics, sketches or sigs. Out of all the boardies that I have met so far Sean is probably the one with the strongest morals and the most honest and upfront person by far.

meh

+1

Fair enough, how would you all address the concern of multiple copies of the same book? I have certainly done the very thing described, using the proceeds of a second book to offset the costs of my own copy. "Unscrupulous" may be too strong a word, but I am trying to maintain the view from the other side of the table.

meh

+1

Fair enough, how would you all address the concern of multiple copies of the same book? I have certainly done the very thing described, using the proceeds of a second book to offset the costs of my own copy. "Unscrupulous" may be too strong a word, but I am trying to maintain the view from the other side of the table.

I believe you acquired your Seth McFarlane SS through unscrupulous means (selling mongoose blood to schoolchildren). Please relinquish this item to the authorities (also, schoolchildren) post haste. Thank you.

Weirdly, this whole thing has made Dingenberg, who I never really thought too deeply about before, a lot more interesting. Not better, mind you, but more interesting.

meh

What if I can't make it to a show to get a sig, so I rely on the secondary market to get my SS books; does that make me any less of a fan? Am I unscrupulous for hoping that some extras hit Ebay or the marketplace here so that I can get a shot at one?

Are these creators not getting paid to sign books? Are they not getting paid to sign the stacks that are put in front of them, regardless of whether they're going directly into the hands of a fan, or will eventually get into the hands of fan who is willing to pay a premium? Are these knobs so egocentric that they fail to recognize that, regardless of whether or not the person in front of you makes a profit, that the mere existence of this giant stack MEANS YOUR SCRIBBLINGS ARE IN DEMAND WHICH IS ULTIMATELY A GOOD THING FOR YOU?

Jesus Christ.

Not to take anything away from what happen to Sean and others' books, I really, really, really do empathize and feel bad and shocked that someone would do that, but I'm somewhat puzzled at the much less of a reaction to what happened to Jake's (Menace) wife.

Once again, not taking anything away from the distruction of property, but the reaction/posts seem to be about 100 to 1 in regards to this as opposed to Mike Dirtbags horrifying behavior towards another human being, in this case a female, who in both instances that I've met her has seemed nice, polite, and as friendly as you could ever hope someone could be who's married to a comic book fan.

Once again, no offense to what has happened to anyone's books. As a SS fan, I totally relate 100%. But if he did that to my book - which I'd held for 20 years in mint condition - and then yelled at my wife that way - I'd take that prized book and shove it straight up his a--.

And yes, I realize that the situation did not present itself for anyone like this, that's not the point...

And I'm not trying to downplay the destruction of anyone's collectible, I have tremendous understanding of that...

Or take anything away from Sean, who still has the big hearted SS fan boy love of a 12 year old discovering comics for the first time...

Just trying to place a little more emphasis on this punk's behavior toward another actual human being, which I think deserves a little more of a conversation.

Was that incident detailed somewhere in the original thread?

Chuck it's a good point, all I could speculate is that since it was a second hand relating of a story (vs the direct witnessed events) by Menace about his wife it might not have hit home as hard,

You can read Menace's post here

I dont think anyone here values comics over people, I think its just a "once removed" situation vs the direct reports from people we know here on the boards.

Also its a heck of a lot easier for Dringenberg to replace a defaced comic than to repair what ever unnecessary words and emotions he spit in the direction of Menace's wife...

but I wasnt there so who knows... maybe Dringen had just signed a big stack of wives for some ebay flipper and when Mrs. Menace walked up he was like "another wife?" [joking]

Im betting if Mrs menace came on here to tell her account she's get 40 pages of support and twice as many memes as sadfingh...

Not to take anything away from what happen to Sean and others' books, I really, really, really do empathize and feel bad and shocked that someone would do that, but I'm somewhat puzzled at the much less of a reaction to what happened to Jake's (Menace) wife.

Once again, not taking anything away from the distruction of property, but the reaction/posts seem to be about 100 to 1 in regards to this as opposed to Mike Dirtbags horrifying behavior towards another human being, in this case a female, who in both instances that I've met her has seemed nice, polite, and as friendly as you could ever hope someone could be who's married to a comic book fan.

Once again, no offense to what has happened to anyone's books. As a SS fan, I totally relate 100%. But if he did that to my book - which I'd held for 20 years in mint condition - and then yelled at my wife that way - I'd take that prized book and shove it straight up his a--.

And yes, I realize that the situation did not present itself for anyone like this, that's not the point...

And I'm not trying to downplay the destruction of anyone's collectible, I have tremendous understanding of that...

Or take anything away from Sean, who still has the big hearted SS fan boy love of a 12 year old discovering comics for the first time...

Just trying to place a little more emphasis on this punk's behavior toward another actual human being, which I think deserves a little more of a conversation.

You're right. I think this got lost in the frantic rush to turn something crappy (Sean's book) into something good and fun (Sadfan). I have met Menace's wife as well and she was just as you described.

I do think that it is more than telling that nothing has been done publicly regarding an apology for Menace's wife as well as an apology for Sean and the others who had their books ruined by Dringenberg. Before anyone suggests that this should all be handled privately, I call BS. You want to act like a bufoon in public, you get to ask for forgiveness in public as well.

I had no idea that there was a verbal assault on an individual. I am a very nice person, but you attack or make fun of my son who has autism, or his mother. I will guard and protect them with my last breath. I am so sorry this happened to you and your wife. I just thought the insufficiently_thoughtful_person wrote a stupid thing on your book. This takes it to a whole new level. Writing is one thing, acting hostile to a fan another. As far as I am concerned , I will not purchase nor trade any of this mans items again. Just in support of menace, who has been nice to me all the time.