• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Gets it right most of the time...

243 posts in this topic

golly, i was hoping for a few scans of overgraded books (undergrades too, but those are hard to judge over the interweb) and got a lot of "there are plenty of overgrades" but no scans. folks used to post scans all the time. if they're over 10-50% of the time, where are the scans?

Puleease :eyeroll:
The right edge being all f'ed up? :shrug:

That's slab damage.

No it's not.

Yes, it is. The overhang on the right hand side has been smashed againt the interior of the slab.

However, it could be indentions from the bands where the books would bound together for delivery. I can't see the scan here at work.

You can't tell from the scan anyway dork, and neither can I.

That's slab damage.

No it's not.

Yes, it is. The overhang on the right hand side has been smashed againt the interior of the slab.

However, it could be indentions from the bands where the books would bound together for delivery. I can't see the scan here at work.

It's not my book, so I don't really give a mess.

:whee:

golly, i was hoping for a few scans of overgraded books (undergrades too, but those are hard to judge over the interweb) and got a lot of "there are plenty of overgrades" but no scans. folks used to post scans all the time. if they're over 10-50% of the time, where are the scans?

It's usually considered rude to do so. Most of examples come from current for sale threads, this week in your collection thread or this week back from CGC thread. Hopefully, no one here is that big of a Richard, but people never cease to amaze me.

That's slab damage.

No it's not.

I don't either, but then I didn't post the book seeking comment either. :whee:

That's slab damage.

No it's not.

Whatever! whatever.gif

That's slab damage.

No it's not.

It's the overhang on the right side,and not even noticeable in hand. :eyeroll:

Just got word that a book I submitted came back as an 8.0. I contacted the seller who said it would grade at least a 9.2. Turns out he cracked an 8.5 and had it pressed before selling it to me. Odd that an 8.5 pressed comes back an 8. The seller is guaranteeing grades. Now we know why. He's cracking and pressing, but it still leaves me pretty hosed.

VENTING! rantrant

Seriously though, the inconsistency needs to be addressed.

Maybe it's a product of different people always looking at the books? I don't know what it is but I'd love for the goal posts to remain in the same spot.

What's the most times you've resubmitted the same book to cgc?

Just got word that a book I submitted came back as an 8.0. I contacted the seller who said it would grade at least a 9.2. Turns out he cracked an 8.5 and had it pressed before selling it to me. Odd that an 8.5 pressed comes back an 8. The seller is guaranteeing grades. Now we know why. He's cracking and pressing, but it still leaves me pretty hosed.

Seriously though, the inconsistency needs to be addressed.

Maybe it's a product of different people always looking at the books? I don't know what it is but I'd love for the goal posts to remain in the same spot.

What's the most times you've resubmitted the same book to cgc?

hm

What do you guys think, 9.8 or not.

1st pic has a finger bend to the left of the light bulb reflection

2nd pic spine tick that doesn't break color (1/16")

3rd pic is color flecking/fraying along the spine. (production)

4th and 5th pics are the upper in lower spine bindery tears. (production)

20130302_231505.jpg

20130302_222757.jpg

20130302_223256.jpg

20130302_223030.jpg

20130302_223110.jpg

CGC is, of course, the best grading service out there in terms of quality and post-grading liquidity and I suspect they are spot on or undergrade 95-98% of the time.

Nothing like.

I have not seen a potentially undergraded book from CGC for over 3 years.

Not. A. One.

i got 5 books signed by portacio at sdcc. had a lot to choose from, so i looked very closely and picked the absolute best. got back four 9.8s and... a 9.4?! if grader notes were free, i'd have tried to find out the "problem", but it was just easier to give as a christmas gift to my cousin.

As we've all said, they've seemed to be looser on the high end. I think they're right on in the low-mid grade range. But it's always been the higher end stuff where the loose/tight periods occur.

I haven't had any books graded in almost a year. Last time I did, I was pleased on the higher grade book I submitted. I thought it was an easy 8.5 with a good chance at 9.0. Came back 9.2.

The low grade I had at a 4.0-4.5. Got a 4.0.

As we've all said, they've seemed to be looser on the high end. I think they're right on in the low-mid grade range. But it's always been the higher end stuff where the loose/tight periods occur.

I haven't had any books graded in almost a year. Last time I did, I was pleased on the higher grade book I submitted. I thought it was an easy 8.5 with a good chance at 9.0. Came back 9.2.

That may have been the case last year, but they've tightened up considerably this year so far ... the 9.8s of yesteryear are coming back 9.6s across the board.

That may have been the case last year, but they've tightened up considerably this year so far ... the 9.8s of yesteryear are coming back 9.6s across the board.

9.8 should be tough to pull. Are you talking about Copper/Moderns?

VENTING! rantrant

Assuming the book wasn't damaged in some way during pressing/shipping, etc that's really disheartening.

It's very possible that the seller knows how to grade but the tighter grader standard has something to do with it.

Across the board from what I've heard too.

For the 9.8s, yeah - but they've tightened on the 9.2+ grades across the board since new years. People who are buying freshly slabbed books right now should be very happy with their purchases.

Across the board from what I've heard too.

That's a good thing, IMO. 9.4 and better should be an exceptional quality book for SA and older.

I have only one Old Label book that I would say was overgraded/loose. I have a few OL 9.4's that are incredible looking and would've easily got 9.6 if I had resubbed in the past two+ years.