• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Femmes fatales and women in peril - covers and splash pages

555 posts in this topic

This is really creepy - sorry for the small scan

alice.jpg

wow! that is creepy... and yet I want a copy :o

Freudian slip

Either that or I am a little perverse... completely possible since I love torture/bondange...

Hmmm, this is really not going well for me :insane:

alice.jpg

Freudian slip

Either that or I am a little perverse... completely possible since I love torture/bondange...

Oh I don't know

alice.jpg

Freudian slip

Oh I don't know

That is one weird funnybook cover.

alice.jpg

Freudian slip

Oh I don't know

Many of the people I work with are childhood survivors of emotional and physical abuse, which may be why I find this cover so compelling. To me, this is a real horror cover. But it's all in the sub-text, and -probably?- unknowing.

Whereas the sub-text of virtually all PCH is a wink "this is all just a story". Hence, the more Grand Guignol, the more cathartic.

Or in the case of bondage covers, they are about anything but Kraft Ebbing. They are about the critical moment of rescue. And the damsel is always innocent, and therefore deserves to be rescued.

It is in the rare instances where the damsel has no visible means of rescue that they are more disturbing - cf Underworld Crime #7.

Whereas powerful women tend to be depicted as evil/and or manipulative, which is pure Cinema Noir.

Or if good, then like Phantom Lady shining a light while scantily clad into evil men's darkness.

It may or may not be a coincidence that the same tropes seem to emerge in so-called Men's Sweat magazines after Wertham and the demise of the pulps. I haven't done my research, and don't know enough to be sure.

I do wonder about the influence of the war on the artists who returned.

Edited by alanna

alice.jpg

Freudian slip

Oh I don't know

Many of the people I work with are childhood survivors of emotional and physical abuse, which may be why I find this cover so compelling. To me, this is a real horror cover. But it's all in the sub-text, and -probably?- unknowing.

Whereas the sub-text of virtually all PCH is a wink "this is all just a story". Hence, the more Grand Guignol, the more cathartic.

Or in the case of bondage covers, they are about anything but Kraft Ebbing. They are about the critical moment of rescue. And the damsel is always innocent, and therefore deserves to be rescued.

It is in the rare instances where the damsel has no visible means of rescue that they are more disturbing - cf Underworld Crime #7.

Whereas powerful women tend to be depicted as evil/and or manipulative, which is pure Cinema Noir.

Or if good, then like Phantom Lady shining a light while scantily clad into evil men's darkness.

It may or may not be a coincidence that the same tropes seem to emerge in so-called Men's Sweat magazines after Wertham and the demise of the pulps. I haven't done my research, and don't know enough to be sure.

In real life I am a mental health therapist... so I like covers which depict mental health in some way (hence the Boy #24). I am not sure whether I would call this abuse or just very very strange as the child is getting spanked (not beaten) by an adult size play toy... My feeling is that we read more into the covers than was ever intended. But I could be wrong... hm

alice.jpg

Freudian slip

Oh I don't know

In real life I am a mental health therapist... so I like covers which depict mental health in some way (hence the Boy #24). I am not sure whether I would call this abuse or just very very strange as the child is getting spanked (not beaten) by an adult size play toy... My feeling is that we read more into the covers than was ever intended. But I could be wrong... hm

I share your doubts. We are so much more media savvy aren't we?

alice.jpg

Freudian slip

Oh I don't know

[font:Times New Roman]Maybe it's just my warped POV, but I think this is an example of subliminal male fantasy at work. :blush:

Given the predominantly adult male audience who post here and the broader context of fandom and role playing, Alice isn't perceived as an adolescent girl so much as an adult indulging in erotic cosplay.

Had the artist come up with an image of the Mad Hatter punishing Alice I suspect it would've produced even more excitement. hm

My 2c psychological analysis. [/font]

alice.jpg

Freudian slip

Oh I don't know

[font:Times New Roman]Maybe it's just my warped POV, but I think this is an example of subliminal male fantasy at work. :blush:

Given the predominantly adult male audience who post here and the broader context of fandom and role playing, Alice isn't perceived as an adolescent girl so much as an adult indulging in erotic cosplay.

Had the artist come up with an image of the Mad Hatter punishing Alice I suspect it would've produced even more excitement. hm

That's interesting. I had not thought of the cosplay angle. What really strikes me is the lack of affect in the expression of the doll's face.

alice.jpg

Freudian slip

Oh I don't know

All I know is, I'd give 10 years of my life to trade places with that play toy.