• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading from the UK - A few noob questions

20 posts in this topic

So I live in the UK and I want to get a handful of comics graded. It's turning out to be a bit of a nightmare so I have a few questions to ask before I start spending silly amounts of money.

1. Can I submit direct to CGC myself if I get a membership? I don't see any international return delivery options on their example submission form. It might have to be my only option as pretty much every UK authorised dealer has stopped doing the service on the account that a 150 day turnaround is bad for business.

2. Will CGC grade a comic even if it's in an estimated 3.0-6.0 condition? I just want to get these comics slabbed to protect them, it'd be great if they do better but I just wondered if CGC had a "they're too damaged for us to care attitude".

3. Has anyone had any experience grading a comic book sized 8" x 11.5" I emailed CGC directly and they said it'd be pushing it a bit but it MIGHT be possible. Seeing as I might be sending it across the Atlantic it'd be great to have some feedback from someone who may have already tried it.

4. What do you put as value if you really have no idea (one of my comics has 0 history of ever being sold at auction)?

5. All of my comics are modern era and probably less than $200 (but I really can't be sure) so although this sounds like a stupid question...I can submit them for Modern Fast Track and expect them back fairly quickly, yes?

Thanks to anyone who helps me with these questions, I've been emailing and calling comic shops all over the country and nobody has been able to help me in my quest to slab some of my comics.

The first thing which comes to mind is: did you wrote to CGC directly?

It may be the most effective way to understand better.

Second, I would recommend you to get acquainted with some fellow US collector here on the boards which may act as a facilitator on your behalf. This would be great not only for CGC submissions, as we are pretty "stranded" in Europe as far as comic book collecting goes… lol

Just my 2¢ (of Euro, of course… ;) )

I have contacted them with regards to the size and type of comics.

They're not giving me any direct answers. It seems they'll get their fee regardless so the risk comes down to me.

I haven't spoken to anyone about return shipping yet.

I'd be happy to send it to someone in the US who'd be prepared to help.

So I live in the UK and I want to get a handful of comics graded. It's turning out to be a bit of a nightmare so I have a few questions to ask before I start spending silly amounts of money.

1. Can I submit direct to CGC myself if I get a membership? I don't see any international return delivery options on their example submission form. It might have to be my only option as pretty much every UK authorised dealer has stopped doing the service on the account that a 150 day turnaround is bad for business.

I don't know if CGC has different rules for different countries, but in the U.S. you don't need to have a membership at all to send your books to CGC. It's free to send your books in, plus you get a free 10% discount.

2. Will CGC grade a comic even if it's in an estimated 3.0-6.0 condition? I just want to get these comics slabbed to protect them, it'd be great if they do better but I just wondered if CGC had a "they're too damaged for us to care attitude".

Honestly I 'm not laughing at you when I say lol Condition is not a consideration for CGC, they'll take your money for a .5 or a 9.9 just the same.

3. Has anyone had any experience grading a comic book sized 8" x 11.5" I emailed CGC directly and they said it'd be pushing it a bit but it MIGHT be possible. Seeing as I might be sending it across the Atlantic it'd be great to have some feedback from someone who may have already tried it.

No idea. Is that size too big for even magazine slabs?

4. What do you put as value if you really have no idea (one of my comics has 0 history of ever being sold at auction)?

No idea at all? How much did you pay for it? How much is it worth to you? Besides the tier thing, whatever you value you book at is more for insurance purposes. Put as much or as little insurance you want on it, just do it with the thought that you want to get full value back if it's destroyed/damaged

5. All of my comics are modern era and probably less than $200 (but I really can't be sure) so although this sounds like a stupid question...I can submit them for Modern Fast Track and expect them back fairly quickly, yes?

You can check current turnaround times here (don't know how much longer it would take to get to the UK). http://www.cgccomics.com/services/Services.aspx

Yes you can join and submit; return shipping to the UK as follows:

1-2 Books $60

3-5 Books $80

6-10 Books $100

11-15 Books $120

16-20 Books $140

21-25 Books $160

26-30 Books $180

(pretty fast via FedEx but expensive: best to do larger orders):

They grade any condition as far as I know. Single pages of comics get graded as NG (No Grade).

Sometimes it depends on thickness: They don't seem to be able to encapsulate Warrior. What comics are you trying to get graded: you can check the census to see if any are there already.

Maybe check exact dimensions and email Eric at CGC (edownton@cgccomics.com)

Sounds rare, what is it?

Yeah modern fast track seems to be reasonably on time give or take a few days and return shipping is pretty fast (although expensive). Moderns without fast track are around 6 months !!!

Not sure if over-sized items are Modern or categorised as magazine though.

Thanks to anyone who helps me with these questions, I've been emailing and calling comic shops all over the country and nobody has been able to help me in my quest to slab some of my comics.

Hopefully of some help.

If the book is that Sonic UK edition, it appears to be magazine sized, so I think it would just take a magazine holder but they should have no problem in certifying it. :)

Is that the promo given out with Mean Machines magazine?

SonicTheHedgehog1UKPromo.jpg

If yes, then it is very thin but I'm sure they could put it in a magazine holder. Again maybe send the dimensions to Eric who might be able to help (edownton@cgccomics.com).

Thanks for all of the replies, very helpful.

One of the comics is the Sonic issue I have been whoring out all over the site (pretty exciting find for me).

It's exactly 8" x 11.5" not sure what that qualifies as because I can't find a comic size guide anywhere. This is all pretty new to me as my primary collection doesn't qualify for CGC due to them being bigger than magazine size so I hadn't ever considered it.

Verification shouldn't be a problem as I know US copies have been graded.

As for the value...I really don't know. I wouldn't state how much I paid for it because I got it for a small value in a private deal but then I guess I could always price it the same as the average sale price of US copies. It has never been tracked in an auction on any major website before, not this variant anyway. The prices for what's considered the 'glossy' and 'newsprint' variants differ massively so I'm not sure I can justify this in the same pricing brackets.

As for the membership option. On their site if I want to view the submission forms I have to pay at least $39 to join before I can submit directly to CCG. I don't mind to much but the cost is adding up significantly already.

@Vaillant - I got your PM, thank you. Nice to get some help!!

One of the comics is the Sonic issue I have been whoring out all over the site (pretty exciting find for me).

It's exactly 8" x 11.5" not sure what that qualifies as because I can't find a comic size guide anywhere. This is all pretty new to me as my primary collection doesn't qualify for CGC due to them being bigger than magazine size so I hadn't ever considered it.

As for the value...I really don't know. I wouldn't state how much I paid for it because I got it for a small value in a private deal but then I guess I could always price it the same as the average sale price of US copies. It has never been tracked in an auction on any major website before, not this variant anyway. The prices for what's considered the 'glossy' and 'newsprint' variants differ massively so I'm not sure I can justify this in the same pricing brackets.

As for the membership option. On their site if I want to view the submission forms I have to pay at least $39 to join before I can submit directly to CCG. I don't mind to much but the cost is adding up significantly already.

Sadly the US copies are not comparable on price: The small US newsprint variant is worth less than $10 but the small US glossy copy (dated Fall 1991) is thought to be the 1st appearance of Sonic in a comic and is worth hundreds of dollars. If yours is the UK Mean Machines magazine-sized variant that dates from 1992 (hence is a reprint) and you can get them pretty cheap by buying the Mean Machines magazine with it in. I wish it was more valuable, I have one myself :(

Sadly the US copies are not comparable on price: The small US newsprint variant is worth less than $10 but the small US glossy copy (dated Fall 1991) is thought to be the 1st appearance of Sonic in a comic and is worth hundreds of dollars. If yours is the UK Mean Machines magazine-sized variant that dates from 1992 (hence is a reprint) and you can get them pretty cheap by buying the Mean Machines magazine with it in. I wish it was more valuable, I have one myself :(

I own the US variants too (glossy and news print, rumour has it that there's a third) but I consider this to be more valuable not due to price but due to how hard to find it is.

It's tricky to find a copy of Mean Machines (issue 16) that still has one, believe me I've tried many times.

That said I wouldn't expect it to be worth much but that's not really that important to me. I'd never sell it unless destitute.

I'd just like it to be verified and graded as a centrepiece of my collection. Out of my 250+ UK NM Sonic Comics I consider this to be one of the coolest items. Unfortunately that's not going to happen. It's 0.6 inches to tall.

One thing I'd like to know though is was it a pull out or a separate issue?

It has its own staples but I think it was also stapled into the centre of the magazine (mine has additional staple holes).

Congratulations on getting the US glossy variant; that is a real rare key Sonic comic (the first) and should be a good investment as well as being great to own.

It has its own staples but I think it was also stapled into the centre of the magazine (mine has additional staple holes).

Congratulations on getting the US glossy variant; that is a real rare key Sonic comic (the first) and should be a good investment as well as being great to own.

I see, that explains the staple hole in my copy (only one really low down and no evidence of a second).

Yeah I've had the glossy one for years paid £15 for it back in 2006.

Never knew how valuable it could be until now.

Huh. In the US you don't have to pay anything to submit your books. Did you try this page?

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/Submitting.aspx

Choose option #3, any dealer. Find the CGC link on their website and click to get the submission forms. Here's the page after I clicked Superworld's free 10% off link:

http://www.cgccomics.com/index_cobrand.asp?GradingCompany=CGC&affiliate=SW

I hope this works for you. If it doesn't I don't know why (shrug)

Huh. In the US you don't have to pay anything to submit your books. Did you try this page?

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/Submitting.aspx

Choose option #3, any dealer. Find the CGC link on their website and click to get the submission forms. Here's the page after I clicked Superworld's free 10% off link:

http://www.cgccomics.com/index_cobrand.asp?GradingCompany=CGC&affiliate=SW

I hope this works for you. If it doesn't I don't know why (shrug)

Thanks. Will give that a try.

if you contact Flaming Telepath on this site he runs Comicana Direct (even google this for his site)he does send books off in bunches to CGC from England, he can also give you a rough pre-grade before sending

if you contact Flaming Telepath on this site he runs Comicana Direct (even google this for his site)he does send books off in bunches to CGC from England, he can also give you a rough pre-grade before sending

+1

Nick (F_T) can pre-grade your books, probably with better accuracy than CGC themselves.

He's mentioned to a few of us UK boardies (There are a few of us, look for the UK thread in permanent polls) that he'll be sending a shipment over to CGC shortly so you could try subbing yours with his.

Also

WTTB :hi:

+1

Nick (F_T) can pre-grade your books, probably with better accuracy than CGC themselves.

He's mentioned to a few of us UK boardies (There are a few of us, look for the UK thread in permanent polls) that he'll be sending a shipment over to CGC shortly so you could try subbing yours with his.

Also

WTTB :hi:

Cool, when I'm ready to submit a few I'll give him a shout.

Hey Stryfe1000