• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic books vs. the comicon culture.

25 posts in this topic

Funny thing is... if actual comic books were completely eliminated from the big cons, the overall effect would be minimal for the crowd at large. Certainly those who attend primarily to purchase books would not go then, but those tickets would be snapped up quickly by others. Funny when you think about it, but comic books are really not even necessary for the majority of the people that attend large comicons. Take SDCC for example. Take away the comic books and 90% of the crowd will not even notice... or care. And many people that want to go to the big con will STILL not even be able to buy tickets.

Yep, the coverage regarding SDCC, almost nothing about comics was even mentioned really. It was mostly about B-list celebrities and toys, movies, etc. Maybe they should rename it. :)

I have thought about that - renaming the large comicons. Something like Pop Culture Con or something like that. But stange as it may be, I think there is a certain "coolness" these days to going to an event which was once thought of as a Nerdcon. Something that reflects the reality too much would lose it's cool. Since comic cons used to lack any kind of coolness, people can feel a little more hip by going to a "comic book" convention. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but all I know is that comicons are hip these days.

I have been to WW Chicago and Emerald City, and both times had a great time. I admit that I am only just getting back into comics, and I spend a lot of money of celeb autographs at the cons. But I still love the books, I just don't go to the con to buy them. I go to cons to meet the people who created the books I love. Unless I want reader copies or trades, I am generally better off buying the actual books elsewhere. The internet has better selection and better prices, heck these boards are ususally better for finding particular books in the grade I want. Most of what I see at cons is either overgraded or overpriced.

[font:Book Antiqua]Dealers should get together

and organize mini conventions

“Comic Books only”

You own the rights

and don’t pay anyone else for selling your books

maybe invite 2 or 3 artist

and let the whole comic book community to know.

Small places, cheap entrance...[/font]

(shrug)

I'd be more interested in a con that was comics only but had more creators booths than dealers booths. I can buy back issues online. I can't get a commission sketch from Wendy Pini or Gilbert Hernandez online. Kind of makes me wonder why not though hm

Are Cons a generally bad place to buy comics? I would've thought they'd be "decent" prices, at least. Sure, there are dealers (with overhead and booth costs to pay) but at least with many dealers in one place, comparison shopping should keep prices (relatively) down, no?

Funny thing is... if actual comic books were completely eliminated from the big cons, the overall effect would be minimal for the crowd at large. Certainly those who attend primarily to purchase books would not go then, but those tickets would be snapped up quickly by others. Funny when you think about it, but comic books are really not even necessary for the majority of the people that attend large comicons. Take SDCC for example. Take away the comic books and 90% of the crowd will not even notice... or care. And many people that want to go to the big con will STILL not even be able to buy tickets.

Yep, the coverage regarding SDCC, almost nothing about comics was even mentioned really. It was mostly about B-list celebrities and toys, movies, etc. Maybe they should rename it. :)

SDCC is filled with A list celebs. Thats why ALL their tix get gobbled within 1 hr of going on sale.