• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic books vs. the comicon culture.

25 posts in this topic

Geez, it has been years since I have started a new topic here, but there is something I have observed over these years and I was curious as to what you all thought. Maybe this subject has been brought up before, I'm not sure.

I have noticed a huge gap between comic book fans and what I call the "comicon culture". It used to be that people went to comic conventions to buy comic books, or at least related collectibles. Over the years, at least from my eyes, there seems to be less and less of the upcoming generations getting interested in comics. Though some kids like comics, mostly the hobby is left to us a bit (or alot) older. We that grew up with them. Kids nowadays just have too may options and really comic books are old fashioned entertainment for many. Without the exposure to comics from their parents, most kids just don't care.

However, the "comicon culture" is completely different. This is exploding in popularity. Comicons are becoming more visible and more appealing to more and more people every year. I know many people that have never purchased a comic book in their lives, and have no interest in them at all, who talk of going to the cons or at least would love to go to a con. I think the reason for this is because comicons are less about comic books these days and more about pop culture in general, though leaning to the superhero, fantasy, sci-fi side of pop culture.

Comic books and comicons are two different animals. I see the former as a slowly dying breed and the latter as booming.

It is also interesting that in all the cons I go to, the areas dedicated to actual comic books are the least traveled part of the show. Want to get away from the crowds? Go to where the comic books are being sold.

Just some observations that made me think a bit!

My son and his wife went to Emerald City this year, and neither to my knowledge have ever bought a comic or even given a passing nod to my collection. They loved it, and are already planning on going back. They do love movies and music, which is what it's all about for them, pop culture, sans comics.

A few people I know attend comic cons but have never read a comic book before. To them it's a fun escape from reality. In my observations you somehow earn cool points (I'm serious) from your peers (granted I'm in my twenties) if you've been to any comic con. This is a far cry from when some kids in my 4th grade class ripped up a few of my Wonder Woman comics.

Comic cons are just the current in thing right now.

[font:Book Antiqua]As a comic book collector I do all my purchase in EBay, Clink and the board,

no reason for me to spend money in a convention when I could

cherry pick the book and the grade that I want in those web sites...[/font]

2c

I agree with the OP entire observation,

My only hope is as follows:

When I was a kid, i.e. 8 to 12 years old, I to went to many cons, WITH NO MONEY OR A FEW DOLLARS, as thats all I had,

I'm sure to the dealers, I looked in many ways, like the pesty child, with no money, that wants to touch and hold all the valuable books, but will never buy anything,

in short that eras, current "back pack, movie poster, fan boy" that I call the new generation of con goers, that never buy any comic books at todays cons.

Fast forward 25 years, as an adullt, with disposable income I enter back into the hobby buying the books I drooled over as a kid,

We can only hope that the fan boy con "fad" of today turns into a serious collector of tomorrow,

B

I think the reason for this is because comicons are less about comic books these days and more about pop culture in general, though leaning to the superhero, fantasy, sci-fi side of pop culture.

Comic books and comicons are two different animals. I see the former as a slowly dying breed and the latter as booming.

It is also interesting that in all the cons I go to, the areas dedicated to actual comic books are the least traveled part of the show. Want to get away from the crowds? Go to where the comic books are being sold.

"Young adult" YA sci fi/fantasy has exploded across all fiction-genres and mediums. Games, novels, tv, film, graphic novels and comics, toys and animation.

Stick "romance" after any sci fi/fantasy genre and it seems like a constant flood of new material, from "apocalyptic romance" to "paranormal romance" to "zombie romance".

Anyway, Comicons slowly evolved into Factioncons, with comic books being one of the many factions who gather. Comic books are still in the sauce, just not the major ingredient they once were .

Want to get away from the crowds? Go to where the comic books are being sold.

Just some observations that made me think a bit!

Or artists row. It was depressing to see a handful of people lining up for Neal Adams and a horde of fans for some C-list movie star.

:frustrated:

Phoenix Comic Con, at least when I went a couple years ago, seems to be more of an anime convention. Emerald City however is more of a COMIC convention in the traditional sense. Each convention tends to have it's own special flavor. From what I've heard, Baltimore is the most comic focused comic convention but I have yet to go.

It doesn't help that new comics (even digital comics!) are either $3 to $4 a pop, and collectible back issues are $50 and up. Very hard to attract new blood in the 12 to 22 bracket relying on allowance money or pocket change.

Comics sales online are why. I won't pay admission and hotel and travel expenses to go to a con where maybe I comic I want is at. I'll get online where I know it's at and buy it. The kinds of rarities I like are not likely to be at a convention, and the common comics I like can most likely be bought cheaper on eBay. People who attend cons these days do so because they like attending events. The only draw for me is sketches and commissions, but after I've made the trip and everything I'd have no money left for that. I've been lucky enough to find people online willing to pick something up for me while they're there, which I hope to find this year as well. It aught to be easier than scoring an SDCC ticket.

I think part of it is that cons are friendlier now. When I was a kid going to cons (20+ years ago) there were very few if any people in costume (beyond basement-dweller). Mostly it was a windowless room or basement in a Holiday Inn that smelled mostly of mildew and old socks. It was just a bunch of grizzled rude old malcontents selling funny books. There were no artists, consistent grades, or women. (Chicago ComiCon was the exception, but there still weren't any women).

Sure, some of the above is hyperbole, but cons had a high barrier of entry for many years. I think it's good to see that comic culture (or maybe con culture now includes other pieces of geekdom) is becoming more inclusive and less musty.

Let me tell you. I collect coins also, and those demographics are entirely upside down, yet the keys have kept moving, though they may be stagnating now. (there's a good lesson in what I just said if you hunt for it.

But, the silver lining is that the kids DO go to where the comics are. The answer is kind of simple. The dealers who are reading this should give out free comics to kids to read. Not crappy stuff that' hard to understand...maybe something like coverless, whipped up spidermans, etc. Stuff that's really only fodder for the quarter box, but might be a good read. Think of it as a long term investment. If only 2 or 3% of those kids come back for more, that's still pretty good. At least we are where the kids are. Coinshows don't have that advantage.

I think part of it is that cons are friendlier now. When I was a kid going to cons (20+ years ago) there were very few if any people in costume (beyond basement-dweller). Mostly it was a windowless room or basement in a Holiday Inn that smelled mostly of mildew and old socks. It was just a bunch of grizzled rude old malcontents selling funny books. There were no artists, consistent grades, or women. (Chicago ComiCon was the exception, but there still weren't any women).

Sure, some of the above is hyperbole, but cons had a high barrier of entry for many years. I think it's good to see that comic culture (or maybe con culture now includes other pieces of geekdom) is becoming more inclusive and less musty.

It is the opposite - they are much less friendly these days. I would tell you that the reasons you list are exactly why I used to go to comic cons, and I don't any more.

It doesn't help that new comics (even digital comics!) are either $3 to $4 a pop, and collectible back issues are $50 and up. Very hard to attract new blood in the 12 to 22 bracket relying on allowance money or pocket change.

The last couple of shows I've been to have reintroduced me to my old friends the quarter and dollar boxes. Lots of great stuff can be found there, especially for attendees with more limited budgets.

I think part of it is that cons are friendlier now. When I was a kid going to cons (20+ years ago) there were very few if any people in costume (beyond basement-dweller). Mostly it was a windowless room or basement in a Holiday Inn that smelled mostly of mildew and old socks. It was just a bunch of grizzled rude old malcontents selling funny books.

Oh yes! I remember attending many of these types of shows, one in Southern Cal in the basement of a high school that had tons of great stuff, but little in the way of 'multimedia' entertainment or tie-ins. Just mostly annoyed looking older guys with boxes of books on ratty white card tables. Those were the days. :)

Funny thing is... if actual comic books were completely eliminated from the big cons, the overall effect would be minimal for the crowd at large. Certainly those who attend primarily to purchase books would not go then, but those tickets would be snapped up quickly by others. Funny when you think about it, but comic books are really not even necessary for the majority of the people that attend large comicons. Take SDCC for example. Take away the comic books and 90% of the crowd will not even notice... or care. And many people that want to go to the big con will STILL not even be able to buy tickets.

[font:Book Antiqua]Dealers should get together

and organize mini conventions

“Comic Books only”

You own the rights

and don’t pay anyone else for selling your books

maybe invite 2 or 3 artist

and let the whole comic book community to know.

Small places, cheap entrance...[/font]

(shrug)

Funny thing is... if actual comic books were completely eliminated from the big cons, the overall effect would be minimal for the crowd at large. Certainly those who attend primarily to purchase books would not go then, but those tickets would be snapped up quickly by others. Funny when you think about it, but comic books are really not even necessary for the majority of the people that attend large comicons. Take SDCC for example. Take away the comic books and 90% of the crowd will not even notice... or care. And many people that want to go to the big con will STILL not even be able to buy tickets.

Yep, the coverage regarding SDCC, almost nothing about comics was even mentioned really. It was mostly about B-list celebrities and toys, movies, etc. Maybe they should rename it. :)