• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grades - Results Posted

25 posts in this topic

Hey All,

Going through my collection and dragging out comics to be graded on-site at Megacon.

I'll put scans up here and (hopefully) get them back by Sunday - 3/17.

This is not a competition; there are no prizes; just seeing how your grades match up with a quick turnaround.

Last note - my scanner is brutal on very dark colors - especially black. I've tried to adjust the brightness accordingly, but it may still throw off the grades.

My grades (even if no one else is playing along):

Detective #359: 5.5

Fantastic Four #49: 6.0

Fantastic Four #49: 5.5

Fantastic Four #50: 5.5

Swamp Thing #37: 9.4

Amazing Spider-Man #300: 9.0

Secret Wars #8: 9.6

Thief of Thieves #1: scratched as I don't see it going higher than 9.4

X-Men #141: on hold until I can get a press (9.0 pre-press is my guess)

I love games :popcorn:

Detective #359: 5.5

Fantastic Four #48: 5.0

Fantastic Four #49: 5.5

Fantastic Four #50: 5.0

Swamp Thing #37: 9.0

Amazing Spider-Man #300: 8.5

Secret Wars #8: 9.0

Thief of Thieves #1: 9.4

X-Men #141: and with a clean 9.2

Everything above has been submitted and should be available for pickup Sunday except for ToT (not high enough grade) and XM 141 (gave to Joey to press overnight bit they cut off on-site).

Hoping to get a "key bump" and "on-site bump"

for most of the mid grades.

This is fun because mid-grade books are the toughest to grade.

Detective #359: VG- 3.5

Fantastic Four #48: Fine- 5.5

Fantastic Four #49: VG 4.0

Fantastic Four #50: VG+ 4.5

Swamp Thing #37: VF+ 8.5

Amazing Spider-Man #300: VF 8.0

Secret Wars #8: VF 8.0

Thief of Thieves #1: VF/NM 9.0

X-Men #141: VF+ 8.5

Yeah, mid grades are still tough for me. 100% of new moderns I've received 9.8s (including this show); still looking for that elusive 9.9.

Out for St. Patrick's right now; grades later tonight. If I remember right, I was off an increment +/- on each one except for the Secret Wars. Not sure what happened there.

Hoping to get a "key bump" and "on-site bump"

for most of the mid grades.

Is that really a thing? I figured, because most people err to the safer of a selection of answers when rushed, that books might get a lower grade on sight.

Good luck with the grades!

Is that really a thing? I figured, because most people err to the safer of a selection of answers when rushed, that books might get a lower grade on sight.

Good luck with the grades!

This is only my opinion, as I don't have enough stats to back it up, but perhaps with the very recent moderns. Everything I've submitted has come back a 9.8 except for one that couldn't be cleaned up enough and came back 9.6 (15/16 for MC). It may be that the moderns have less to look for and go faster, or that they only check for one or two things and pass them through.

Perhaps you are correct, however, when it comes to comics that take some work. I'll throw some more at the group at WW Chicago and see what happens.

Finally, the grades (with mine in brackets):

Tec #359 - 5.0 [5.5]

FF #48 - 5.5 [6.0]

FF #49 - 6.5 [5.5]

FF #50 - 6.0 [5.5]

Swamp Thing #37 - 9.2 [9.4]

ASM #300 - 8.5 [9.0]

Secret Wars #8 - 9.2 [9.6]

As I said above - though some may have skipped by - the ToT was never going to be above a 9.4 so I vetoed it. The XM #141 has quickly become a hot commodity so I passed it over to the professionals to get it looking its best before submitting. Will update if/when it ever comes back.

Thanks everyone! I plan on getting another good stack together for Chicago and doing the same.

-- dave

You know, I gotta say, I'm a bit upset with CGC now. I had a Secret Wars graded and it came back a 9.0. Mine did not have the slight spine damage and the corners were slightly better. If yours was a 9.2, then mine should have been a 9.6 or 9.4 at the very least by comparison.

Does anyone have any opinion on this. It seems that on site grades are much more forgiving. Damn you CGC