• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another eBay buyer to block

220 posts in this topic

It's the buyer's mistake and he should suck it up.

However, you should have put "Apparent" in your title description. You baited him him, and it's possible he hastily bit the hook without reading the description entirely.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but why did you agree to take back the book if he also reruns the ASM 300, but then back out ?

He then accepted that he could not return it. Unless he blows it up further, I see no reason to block him.

I find that flat out using the word "restored" avoids confusion

The few I sell on FeeBay I use BOTH "restored" and"Apparent" for Amateur color touch and "Restored" and "Professional Restoration" for the (P) books. I make it CLEAR that they are buying a doctored up book...have NOT had a problem as of yet, but I sell very few of my PLODS...

CAL who likes Ryan's stealing some of CAL's schtick...

Holly fliggus...

Tjcdnw jwn wklod;j kwdm "Ryan Atlas is very attractive"

Wjkn kjn;wo kjfvii iwdd ;iojc pwo 99999 ;md'p 8====D kldncnwcn uhqdbc cjwdc'

???

lol

Holy Jesus...

There is not much to read there and it immediately says that "some applied color touch"

We are becoming such an illiterate society. No one wants to read even when it is in their best interests. We are becoming a bunch of text messaging illiterate .

:applause: And as far as "baiting" the buyer goes.. that's BS. If they allowed 3rd graders to purchase things on ebay, you may have had a point, Miles. But, it's up to the adult buyer to be able to read simple sentences. No excuses.

Holy Jesus...

There is not much to read there and it immediately says that "some applied color touch"

We are becoming such an illiterate society. No one wants to read even when it is in their best interests. We are becoming a bunch of text messaging illiterate .

:applause: And as far as "baiting" the buyer goes.. that's BS. If they allowed 3rd graders to purchase things on ebay, you may have had a point, Miles. But, it's up to the adult buyer to be able to read simple sentences. No excuses.

^^

Holy Jesus...

Baited may be the wrong word, and it is the responsibility of the buyer to read and research. I said that from the beginning.

However. If you want to avoid problems. You better cater to 3rd graders. Don't fill the title with fluff to attract and sell until pertinent information is clearly listed.

I do like how the fact that the buyer may have thought he was getting an unrestored 9.4 for $700...a smoking deal, if that was the case...is totally ignored by everyone. To a buyer who sells slabs, so is clearly knowledgeable about slabbing. Not convenient, I suppose.

Did he think:

"Why is this seller selling me this book for less than half of avg market? Maybe he doesn't know what he's selling? But how can that be, he's got an entuire run of X-Men #94-142 for sale, plus hundreds of other books? Huh. I wonder."

Or....

Did he think:

"$$$$$$$$$ SCORE! I'm gonna SLAB this baby and MAKE A MINT!!!"

hm

Holy Jesus...

Baited may be the wrong word, and it is the responsibility of the buyer to read and research. I said that from the beginning.

However. If you want to avoid problems. You better cater to 3rd graders. Don't fill the title with fluff to attract and sell until pertinent information is clearly listed.

The description clearly stated the issue. In no uncertain terms.

There is no excuse.

i would be worried about a chargeback also, but what can you do?

RAKIN FRAKIN give it away for Freebay.

If he does the CHARGEBACK now that Buyer would definitely lose his case; PayPal/eBay would HAVE TO stick up for the Seller here. Post transaction CHARGEBACKS are extremely rare and the credit card companies don't want any part of these.

Remember, those phone people, outsourced and all, STILL costs the company money - the more TIME the reps are on the phone with a possible scammer, it costs the company money. The reps could be helping a different customer(s) with legit concerns.

CAL wearing the CEO pin...

:facepalm:

:insane:

If this buyer does the chargeback with it having been funded by Discover or certain banks in the Visa/Mastercard ring of banks then you will still lose the chargeback case. PP will not have your back as a seller. Ask me how I know.

The only real hope here is that he funded it either with a Visa/Mastercard via say a smaller bank/ credit union or funded it with funds out of the PP balance. You will have a solid chance of winning those type of chargebacks/disputes.

I agree that you clearly listed it in the very first sentence of the description and this is on the buyer, but I have to agree that when I read your title as written the app is in reference to wolverine appearance not apparent work done on it.

Not busting you here but I NEVER lost a chargeback case. Ever.

However, I have been burned TWICE by Paypal: the 1st one was that ASM #5, CGC 8.5 that the Buyer in France says he never got - Paypal sided with HIM and just TOOK the funds what was left in my PayPal account and sucked the rest out of my then Bank of America Calamerica-Collectibles' DBA account, which also resulted in the then-$25 Overdraft fee. That led to me doing the unpopular "Express International" where the buyers had to SIGN the form to receive the goods.

I just fought a hard case against that Sahakian dude who chargbacks after he receives $2,000 in NM+ 9.6 GCC books - both the Credit Card company and my Credit Union bank with my newer DBA account told me that the goods WERE delivered - case closed.

btw, the Credit Union I belong to won't allow chargebacks as long as DELIVERY is proven. The "not as described" does not count. How important is that DELIVERY CONFIRMATION? Sig too?

CAL 2c

RMA - just wondering - what was it that ultimately had you decide not to allow the return?

It was 3+ weeks since the book was received.

Had the buyer sent a message within the 14 days, there would have been a no questions asked return, even with the positive feedback.

Had it been AFTER 14 days, but the buyer said "Hey, I've been really busy with my new baby, and didn't have a chance to look at the book yet", I *might* have considered it, though I would have asked him why he'd already left the fedback. Remember: eBay considers positive feedback left to be the end of the transaction.

But he not only waited 3+ weeks...he didn't bother to read the description not once, but TWICE, first when he bought it, and then when he "discovered" it had color touch, and ended up repeating to me what I had already told him.

So...no dice.

I see. So his answer to the question, "Why didn't you bring this issue up when you got the book, or very soon after?", to a great degree drove your final decision. Which is very reasonable, and thoughtful of you to make space for a response that would have something to do with a new child. But his response doesn't really answer the question.

Thanks for posting about this, so that we each can decide if the bidder is block-worthy.

risky quick flip I'd say... hm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-X-Men-94-Aug-1975-Marvel-Near-Mint-9-2-9-4-KEY-NEW-X-Men-/310622140649?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item485285b8e9

** and any sympathy on title verbiage disappeared when this guy didn't even put it in the title

Pretty optimistic seller. That looks to be an 8.5 at best with the rounded/blunted top corners and multiple spin ticks, some of which are poorly color touched. The back cover's edges appear to have foxing along the top and the outside edge and I wouldn't be surprised if there was invisible creases/handling wear not apparent from that scan. Appears to be another "eBay NM".

However, you should have put "Apparent" in your title description.

meh

I did.

* Uncanny X-MEN #94 New X-Men Begin! 4th Wolverine! App NM 9.4 *

It does not say "4th Wolverine App." It says "4th Wolverine (exclamation point)", indicating a separate phrase follows.

"4th Wolverine! App" makes no sense.

Remember, there are only 84 characters with which to deal.

You baited him him, and it's possible he hastily bit the hook without reading the description entirely.

"Baited"...? Really...?

No, he didn't hastily bite the hook. It was a Buy It Now with Best Offer, and he had made all three of his offers before he accepted my counter of $700. All three offers came over the course of a few days.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong,

You're reading it wrong.

Let me emphasize, for clarity:

I am tempted to say no. You got a SMOKING hot deal on the Spidey #300 (It's now selling for $300 in that condition), so if I'm going to allow a return almost a month later, it will have to be everything.

I hadn't accepted anything. I told the buyer to read the description, then get back to me. Yes, I understand that "if I'm going to allow a return almost a month later" can be construed as "yes, I will accept a return"....except it was immediately preceded by "I'm tempted to say no", which means I hadn't made up my mind yet.

but why did you agree to take back the book if he also reruns the ASM 300, but then back out ?

I didn't, clearly.

2-I dont agree with RMA for asking the ASM 300 be returned as well if he was going to accept the X-Men back. The issue isnt with the ASM but with the X-Men. So it is either take the X-Men back or dont. He didnt and is completely correct for not doing so. But asking for the ASM back, and insinuating that because the buyer got a great deal on it he would have to pay that as his penance for making a mistake on the X-Men, is not professional in my eyes.

These were both Buy It Nows. The acceptance of the one was contigent on the acceptance of the other. It was a PACKAGE deal. In fact, there were THREE books involved, but one was a trivial $16 one.

But even if they were NOT such a package deal, it is beyond foolish to allow the return of a SINGLE ITEM, especially in a $900+ transaction. It opens the door instantly to fraud on the buyer's part. No, when there's a problem with a multi-item transaction, and you're going to allow a return, you never, ever, EVER allow just one...because the buyer can say (and many have said) that they sent everything back, have proof they mailed SOMETHING, and demand the entire amount back...keeping the rest of the books as a free bonus.

It may look "unprofessional" to those not experienced with eBay, but it is, sadly, the correct thing to do.

He then accepted that he could not return it. Unless he blows it up further, I see no reason to block him.

3-I dont understand why someone would think this guy needs to be blocked

Well, allow me to explain my reason: this is someone who purchases a $700 item, without even bothering to read the very simple, very obvious, very plain description, and doesn't "notice" that the title says "App. 9.4", not "4th Wolverine App."

Then....

He gets the book, apparently likes it, then leaves positive feedback (see what I did, there...? ;) )

Then....

3+ weeks later...he "discovers" that there's color touch on the book....and before going back to the actual listing to check if it was mentioned there...just sends an eBay message stating what I had already stated in the listing.

This guy is a disaster in the making.

What if I had already spent his $700? After all, it was well outside the 14 day window. What then? If the guy had insisted, and files a chargeback, I'd be in very serious doo doo. What I considered a fully completed sale for a not-insubstantial amount of money...remember, he already left positive feedback, so it's a safe assumption that he's...ya know...HAPPY with his item....is now back in question.

I'm glad you guys are millionaires, and can casually toss around $700 like it's pocket change, but it's not quite that easy for the rest of us. I'm not complaining, and I'm not suggesting I couldn't refund him....but if he pulls this kind of nonsense with others, he could very easily put someone into a very tough situation screwing around like this.

If you don't think that's block worthy, fine. But others might, and are probably happy for all this info...that you probably won't read. ;)

I mean, really, who drops $700 on ANYTHING without reading the description? And not just "OMG, I have to buy this before someone else snaps it up!" He had DAYS to look!

:shrug:

And this guy SELLS slabs!

Hey look, RMA is posting words again! :whee:

and leading towards lord knows what.....

However, you should have put "Apparent" in your title description.

meh

I did.

* Uncanny X-MEN #94 New X-Men Begin! 4th Wolverine! App NM 9.4 *

It does not say "4th Wolverine App." It says "4th Wolverine (exclamation point)", indicating a separate phrase follows.

"4th Wolverine! App" makes no sense.

Remember, there are only 84 characters with which to deal.

You baited him him, and it's possible he hastily bit the hook without reading the description entirely.

"Baited"...? Really...?

No, he didn't hastily bite the hook. It was a Buy It Now with Best Offer, and he had made all three of his offers before he accepted my counter of $700. All three offers came over the course of a few days.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong,

You're reading it wrong.

Let me emphasize, for clarity:

I am tempted to say no. You got a SMOKING hot deal on the Spidey #300 (It's now selling for $300 in that condition), so if I'm going to allow a return almost a month later, it will have to be everything.

I hadn't accepted anything. I told the buyer to read the description, then get back to me. Yes, I understand that "if I'm going to allow a return almost a month later" can be construed as "yes, I will accept a return"....except it was immediately preceded by "I'm tempted to say no", which means I hadn't made up my mind yet.

but why did you agree to take back the book if he also reruns the ASM 300, but then back out ?

I didn't, clearly.

2-I dont agree with RMA for asking the ASM 300 be returned as well if he was going to accept the X-Men back. The issue isnt with the ASM but with the X-Men. So it is either take the X-Men back or dont. He didnt and is completely correct for not doing so. But asking for the ASM back, and insinuating that because the buyer got a great deal on it he would have to pay that as his penance for making a mistake on the X-Men, is not professional in my eyes.

These were both Buy It Nows. The acceptance of the one was contigent on the acceptance of the other. It was a PACKAGE deal. In fact, there were THREE books involved, but one was a trivial $16 one.

But even if they were NOT such a package deal, it is beyond foolish to allow the return of a SINGLE ITEM, especially in a $900+ transaction. It opens the door instantly to fraud on the buyer's part. No, when there's a problem with a multi-item transaction, and you're going to allow a return, you never, ever, EVER allow just one...because the buyer can say (and many have said) that they sent everything back, have proof they mailed SOMETHING, and demand the entire amount back...keeping the rest of the books as a free bonus.

It may look "unprofessional" to those not experienced with eBay, but it is, sadly, the correct thing to do.

3-I dont understand why someone would think this guy needs to be blocked

Well, allow me to explain my reason: this is someone who purchases a $700 item, without even bothering to read the very simple, very obvious, very plain description, and doesn't "notice" that the title says "App. 9.4", not "4th Wolverine App."

Then....

He gets the book, apparently likes it, then leaves positive feedback (see what I did, there...? ;) )

Then....

3+ weeks later...he "discovers" that there's color touch on the book....and before going back to the actual listing to check if it was mentioned there...just sends an eBay message stating what I had already stated in the listing.

This guy is a disaster in the making.

What if I had already spent his $700? After all, it was well outside the 14 day window. What then? If the guy had insisted, and files a chargeback, I'd be in very serious doo doo. What I considered a fully completed sale for a not-insubstantial amount of money...remember, he already left positive feedback, so it's a safe assumption that he's...ya know...HAPPY with his item....is now back in question.

I'm glad you guys are millionaires, and can casually toss around $700 like it's pocket change, but it's not quite that easy for the rest of us. I'm not complaining, and I'm not suggesting I couldn't refund him....but if he pulls this kind of nonsense with others, he could very easily put someone into a very tough situation screwing around like this.

If you don't think that's block worthy, fine. But others might, and are probably happy for all this info...that you probably won't read. ;)

I mean, really, who drops $700 on ANYTHING without reading the description? And not just "OMG, I have to buy this before someone else snaps it up!" He had DAYS to look!

:shrug:

And this guy SELLS slabs!

Hey look, RMA is posting words again! :whee:

and leading towards lord knows what.....

a strike :wishluck: