• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Preview" edition issues that became hotter than their regular released version

10 posts in this topic

All this hoopla about the Sixth Gun and its FCBD edition got me interested in finding out about the history of these types of book. The only concrete example I can give is the Preacher Preview that was handed out as a sampler. Are there other examples? How do they come to be valued more? How does the collecting community perceive them?

My 2c

If it's a true preview, meaning an early look at the content of the first issue, then those books are almost universally valued lower than the actual 1st issues. I look at these types of preview issues almost like the Previews catalog, no more than an advertisement for an upcoming series. I know some people will say that the Previews catalog should count as a 1st appearance, but I can't get there.

Preacher Preview is one of the only exceptions to the above rule, but I think that has more to do with the rarity of that particular item. It was considered a cheap giveaway upon release so very few survived in high grade.

Malibu Sun 13 is going for more than Spawn 1. Although a few years ago this was not the value as I was selling Malibu Sun 13's 3 for $10.00. they were not mint shape, but they certainly were not worth $5.00 at the time either. People's perception have changed on that book, its a book to have now for the Spawn collector.

A few years ago Malibu 13 often times did not garner a bid when listed at $4.95, now its a $30.00-$50.00 book. The overload supply of Spawn 1 is still out there, but the value of the Malibu Sun has gone up. So that must mean it has now established itself as a legitimate collectable, when previously it was not.

Reminds me of Cursed Pirate Girl and how some eBay listings claimed the 1st appearance with several early issues. The true 1st appearance was in Voices #1, which was a limited book of 300 copies with a compilation of stories and CPG was one of them. The book was passed out during an art exhibit. Can imagine what happened to most of those copies.

As for Previews catalogs, I don't recognize them for more than what they are...catalogs. Guess there are collectors for everything.

MadGenius I'm admiring your Umbrella Academy collection. Personally what do you value more, the #1 of the first mini or the The Umbrella Academy / Pantheon City / Zero Killer FCBD?

Personally, these are how I value the Umbrella Academy keys:

1. Apocalypse Suite #1 Special Edition (RRP)

2. Free Comic Book Day (but only in 9.8)

3. Apocalypse Suite #1 Gerard Way Variant (if raw, this one over FCBD)

4. Apocalypse Suite #1 Standard Cover