• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some answers from my job applications... And a trivia contest...

33 posts in this topic

I suppose I could have put this in the Water Cooler, but since most of it is comic-related I figured why let the coin guys have any of the fun.

One of my current employees gave her notice a couple weeks back, so I once again put out the "Applications Accepted" sign in the front window. The last time I did that I gave out 175 applications in less than 3 weeks. So far this time we are at 90 and counting.

To wade through so many applicants for a 10-hour a week position can be quite irritating, so a couple years back I started giving out a questionnaire to each applicant with all sorts of questions.

Samples include things like:

Which super-hero uses this secret identity? (followed by a list of 17 names ranging from Peter Parker to Scott Free)

Complete the opening lines of these oldies songs: (followed by such lines as "Last night, as I got home, about-a half past ten, there was the...")

What was the most significant change in 3rd Edition D&D?

What was the first non-ante Magic The Gathering card to be banned from tournament play?

Name four titles from each of the following publishers: (ranging from Marvel to Avatar)

I have two favorite sections on the questionnaire, the obscure comic knowledge section (which rarely sees more than two correct answers and has never been answered 100% correctly even by those who cheated using the internet) and the open-ended questions.

I've included both current versions below (I rotate the obscure questions from a pool of 100 or so to minimize cheating among friends). I will followup the post with some of the actual replies I have received on applications, so that you can enjoy them as much as I do... smile.gif

***A free copy of Batman 608 for the first person to answer the obscure knowledge correctly*** (given the group of folks here on the forums, I would be surprised if it took more than 12 hours to have a winner, even though there may be a trick question or two in the list)

1) Who was Skippy the Jedi Droid?

2) How did Chewbacca die?

3) Why did Beast turn blue?

4) When the Hulk first appeared, what triggered his transformation?

5) Who is Thanos trying to impress?

6) Which foursome attacked a gazebo?

7) Who first faced Onslaught?

8) Which comic did Kellogg's sue?

The open-ended questions (for which I will post some replies shortly)

- Who would win in a fight between Batman and Wolverine and why?

- Who is the funniest super-hero and why?

- Who is the best active writer in comics and why?

- If Deena Pilgrim, Katchoo, and Lois Lane had a chance to form a band, who would the fourth member be and what instruments would each play?

- What was the worst big crossover in comics history?

- Which two characters would make the worst romantic couple and why?

- What is your favorite comic story of all time and why?

- If you could be any comic book character for a day, with no effects carrying over from the experience other than your memories, who would you choose and why?

One reply I'll start with here, from an ACTUAL application, in response to the last question, and I quote "Rogue, cuz I could fly and that's the only power I repeatedly dream about. And then when I took a break I could play with my/her boobs."

Wading through the stack of applications....

Here's one:

In the military service record portion, this applicant shows a discharge date of 8-2000 from the "Galactic Empire" with a rank of "Stormtrooper". Reason for discharge: "Discharged for calling Darth Vader a Goth Pansy"

I swear I am not making this up.... lol...

'House, it just blows my mind that you have MULTIPLE EMPLOYEES at your COMIC BOOK STORE. The stores 'round here are run by one guy and then someone else one or two days on the weekend.

Okay, I take that back... there's one that has three people (if that many) on a semi-regular rotation.

I hate Kansas.

Hi All! I'm new to these boards though I've been reading them for a couple months now.

I know that Thanos is trying to impress Death (starting collecting around the Infinity guantlet era before taking off for several years)

Khaos... I try to have around 5 employees... with most of them working between 5-10 hours a week... gives me a lot more flexibility if someone gets sick...

The girl who just gave her notice was working a whopping 5 hours a week...

An answer to the Batman-Wolverine question:

"Bat-Man. Smarter, more talented, has more resources, and gas pellets. Gas the mutent (sic) son of a [!@#%^&^] then run over him with the batmobile. Twice."

Be a character for a day:

"Galactus. I've always wondered how a planet tastes. Jupiter looks pretty yummy..."

"I would be Spider Jerusalem, only if I get his bowel disruptor. I know many people who need to be hit with it on the prolapse setting"

The girl who just gave her notice was working a whopping 5 hours a week...

NOT HALLOWEEN GOTH PRINCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Without her presence, Bug will no doubt begin again with his unwanted sexual advances...

Worst romantic couple:

"Archie's Betty and Jesus DeSade. The man is just too freaky."

Character for a day:

"Nightcrawler. Girl's locker room here I come! BAMF!"

And the current best answer from my stack of apps, to the worst romantic couple question:

"Peter Parker and Lois Lane because Peter would get sick of her complaining about how Superman used to fly her all over the world."

What a great answer!... lol...

Yo, I just got home. I don't lurk that much! Only when you friggin lover boys want to ruin another thread! mad.gif Dammit, I've had enough! frown.gif

NOT HALLOWEEN GOTH PRINCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

lol...

No, she's here to stay, at least through Spring Break... she told me she's staying at least until she gets her verticals stretched to 8 gauge, her horizontals to 10 gauge, and some more work done on the tattoo on her shoulder...

Yo, I just got home. I don't lurk that much! Only when you friggin lover boys want to ruin another thread! Dammit, I've had enough!

Greggy! I'm worried about your apathy. Why don't you contribute something to 'House's "worst romantic couple" thread?

I'll get you started:

Human Torch and Iceman.

Can you imagine? Icey's got it bad BOTH ways. Poor guy.

(Of course, I would imagine this is one of the most common answers in the world, but this is for YOU, Greggerick. You.)

Damn you, I don't have time for you now! I have to fill out some stinking US customs forms. But...watch out tonight! Especially if my beloved Tarheels lose! Then, you will feel my pre-X-mas wrath! mad.gif

Actually the most common answer to worst romantic couple is Rogue and Gambit...

And fyi... over half of all people give Mary Jane as the answer to the 4th member of the band... even though I am certain less than 5% of my applicants know who Katchoo and Deena Pilgrim are...

over half of all people give Mary Jane as the answer to the 4th member of the band

Personally, I think it should be Gorilla Grodd on drums. Since most people can't tell a male gorilla from a female, his gender shouldn't be a problem and he'd really wail. It also makes for a perfect silver age cover.

lol... You are actually the second person to suggest Grodd on drums... my applicant who thought that Chewbacca died while rewiring C-3P0 to be a personal sex toy also suggested Grodd... smile.gif

Not that I am suggesting anything from the coincidence... tongue.gif