• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine 102.5

12 posts in this topic

So, I have a couple of these (unsigned and no hologram); I am wondering how significant a difference there is between the two in regards to value and rarity. I think that the unsigned was a mail-away, and the hologram signed copy was a retailer incentive. Can someone shed some light on this for me? I found a 9.2 unsigned a year or so ago and took it for $175 since there were no others available at the time. I wonder if I overpaid since it is the unsigned copy... Thanks in advance for your answers!

Holy poop... that is nice. I have a nice raw and a 9.2. I just thought there were less of the hologram/signed prints if they were actually a retailer incentive. Thanks for sharing the pic. I need to look up the CGC senses on this book. I wonder of there are any 9.8's since the book is so thin and easily creased.

Yea, it will probably go for pretty high too. I picked up an unsigned for $68 on a buy it now recently. It is virtually identical to my CGC 9.2, so I thought it was a pretty good deal. They come around here and there. People usually have one or two up on ebay for like $329ish or some other ridiculous number. Ungraded at that. I think I paid $170ish for my graded copy. They are so damned thin that is is super hard to find in high grade as 5ive mentioned. I would love to find another copy one of these days...(for a reasonable cost of course).

Wow, whoever gets that book is going to be dissapointed. He says that the bag show distortion. And claims it's a 9.8

Even if everything else I see is on the bag, those large spine breaks push this book down into the 9.0 range IMO. And I can only assume some of the other issues are on the book as well. Yikes.

I have been collecting wolverine comics for a while now; I think Wolverine 102.5 is probably one of the rarest wolverine books out there. It is hard to find any reliable info about this book as well. From what I could gather, it was a retailer incentive for retailers to pre-order cases of 1996 fleer ultra x-men card set to get a copy of the wolverine 102.5. I can only assume that similar to the wolverine 145 nabisco variant that it was handled poorly during the shipping process which has prevented this book from getting high grades. I am lucky enough to own the only 9.8 universal grade of this book but I paid a high price for it.

It's an odd book.

Here is how Dan Slott describes it:

Ah, the mystery of WOLVERINE #102.5...

Why the strange numbering? Because continuity-wise the "story" runs between WOLVERINE #102 and #103. 'Duh. ;)

Why is the darn thing such a strange read? Well, let me tell you...

Because each page of WOLVERINE #102.5 is actually 9 trading cards.

Yes, you read that right. Instead of putting stats on the back of the FLEER WOLVERINE '96 card set, each sheet of 9 cards linked together to form a single comic book page-- not a 9 panel comic book page-- a normal comic book page.

FLEER had two stipulations: that every card feature the majority of at least one figure-- and to put as many characters as possible into the 11 page story. It was kinda tricky. But given the weird parameters of the assignment, I was happy with the way it turned out. And, given the bizarre rules, I think Mark Buckingham did an excellent job! (Though part of me wishes that they would've let me write it as eleven 9 panel grids. The flow would've been SO much better!)

The twelfth page was a 1 page story-- it WAS a 9 panel grid-- and the only way you could get it was if you collected all 9 of the hard-to-find chase cards. That was a 9 panel gag about Baby Wolvie from the X-Babies-- and it was drawn by Mike Wieringo. One of the rare times we got to work together. It was a lovely page.

Hope that solves everything for you.

ttyl

Dan