• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Marvel Copper stories you consider the best (and why)?

106 posts in this topic

Thanks to everyone. :foryou:

@Bosco685: Thanks, but I was thinking about Marvel titles. I have read a good deal of Batman stories over the years and I always liked the character, but I could never be affectioned to DC characters as much as I have been to Marvel. The concept was different, the whole continuity was the difference. But I assure you I was a sincere Hellboy fan, up to some point… lol

lol

Just attempting to expand your awareness and comic appreciation.

:foryou:

First dozen GI Joes, Byrnes FF, Black Dragon mini-series, Simonsons Thor, "Born again" run of DD, Avengers- Masters of Evil story arc.

I enjoyed the Gang Wars arc of Spiderman, although the ending was contrived.

The Spiderman- Wolverine one shot is a great stand alone story, although it makes little sense these days.

Dreadstar was by far the best thing Marvel/Epic was doing at the time. Heads and shoulders above anything else from The House of Ideas.

It has been mentioned a coupla times..but AVENGERS UNDER SIEGE(late 1986-early 1987) is one of the best. This type of story, today, would be told in an epic 12 month limited series, with 5 spin off limited series and 100 crossovers. But back then they told it in a half dozen or so issues of Avengers and it was AWESOME!

Avengers Mansion overrun (and not by some mind controller, or illusionist or traitor or time traveler or something like that---nope, just by good old fashioned supervillain power).

Hercules is dead....no he's not. Man, that wasawesome. Jarvis beaten to within an inch of his life.

Dr. Druid and Scott Lang lend a hand. Thor beats Hyde by standing still and letting hyde bash his own head in on Thor's chest.

Cap. America cries over the ashes of his past.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!! and when they do....look the F out.

MUTANT MASSACRE is really good. Marvel finally decides what to do with the Morlocks...and it aint pretty. The Power Pack issues are surprisingly top notch. The Marauders vs. X-men (when Arclight realizes they aint up against defenseless Morlocks anymore....cool stuff) and Sabretooth vs. X-men fights are awesome.

The SCOURGE storyline that plays out mostly in Captain America is pretty darned good, as well as the CAP shoots a bad guy storyline that immediately follows is also real good.

Amazing Spider Man is awesome. the entire ron Frenz art run is awesome. Who is Hobgoblin? Gang War, Silver Sable etc. etc. One of the great super battles is during this time. Spidey, Sandman and Silver Sable vs. Hydro Man, Boomerang, Speed Demon, beetle and Rhino.

The late 80's brood story is also pretty good....mainly because of the more horror movie feel and the Silvestri art. Seriously....why do mosty silvestri stories seem to have a female cop or firefighter or doctor or something and they are all smoking hot?

First 27 G.I. Joe books. Then Hasbro's need for every single toy they made to be shoe horned into the book, made it a bit silly.

G.I. Joe? May be good but I don’t think they are Marvel universe, right? Thanks, anyway. :)

- The Death of Captain Marvel GN by Starlin

- X-Men : God Loves, Man Kills GN by Claremont

Thanks, but… both purchased and read around 1989-90. ;)

First 27 G.I. Joe books. Then Hasbro's need for every single toy they made to be shoe horned into the book, made it a bit silly.

G.I. Joe? May be good but I don’t think they are Marvel universe, right? Thanks, anyway. :)

- The Death of Captain Marvel GN by Starlin

- X-Men : God Loves, Man Kills GN by Claremont

Thanks, but… both purchased and read around 1989-90. ;)

G.I. Joe A real American Hero. 155 issues from Marvel comics starting in 1982 running through until the early 90's.

Thanks to everyone for the great response.

The first 25 issues of ROM

The Micronauts - especially the first 12 issues (Michael Golden art :cloud9:)

ROM and Micronauts, I know sooner or later I’ll have to spot the best issues from those. If you had to choose in terms of stories a limited number of issues, which would they be?

Kraven's Last Hunt

Under Siege - Avengers 270-277

Secret Wars

Mutant Massacre

Death of Jean DeWolf

Weapon X

Great suggestions. (thumbs u

– Ahh, "Under Siege"! :cloud9: I consider "Under Siege" a throrough masterpiece. I think I almost cried when I read parts of it. They were my first issue readings in English. Only recently I was able to purchase the run in full and I think it ranks among the finest Marvel age stories ever.

– Secret Wars: I have always been biased towards it. The Beyonder per se pretty puts me off. Can you talk me about the qualities of the story?

– I must take note to fill the issues I miss from the Mutant Massacre;

– "Death of Jean DeWolf": this one as well, I must look for those;

– I have read some of the Weapon X storyline as I bought them when they came out, but in the end I gave up not being a big Wolverine fan. I also did not like the idea of adding too much "retroactive continuity" and with Wolverine they did it beyond any acceptable limit… :flamed:

First dozen GI Joes, Byrnes FF, Black Dragon mini-series, Simonsons Thor, "Born again" run of DD, Avengers- Masters of Evil story arc.

I enjoyed the Gang Wars arc of Spiderman, although the ending was contrived.

The Spiderman- Wolverine one shot is a great stand alone story, although it makes little sense these days.

Dreadstar was by far the best thing Marvel/Epic was doing at the time. Heads and shoulders above anything else from The House of Ideas.

The Gang Wars is something I recall being nice. I think I have a pair of Spidey books. Could you provide me a list of the issues?

As for the others, I am either familiar with them (see the FF) or they fall outside my present search.

I understand I will have to read Dreadstar at some point, anyway. :)

It has been mentioned a coupla times..but AVENGERS UNDER SIEGE(late 1986-early 1987) is one of the best. This type of story, today, would be told in an epic 12 month limited series, with 5 spin off limited series and 100 crossovers. But back then they told it in a half dozen or so issues of Avengers and it was AWESOME!

Avengers Mansion overrun (and not by some mind controller, or illusionist or traitor or time traveler or something like that---nope, just by good old fashioned supervillain power).

Hercules is dead....no he's not. Man, that wasawesome. Jarvis beaten to within an inch of his life.

Dr. Druid and Scott Lang lend a hand. Thor beats Hyde by standing still and letting hyde bash his own head in on Thor's chest.

Cap. America cries over the ashes of his past.

This type of story, today, they wouldn’t be even able to tell. They have made choices, and unless they undo what they have done, the direction is clearly traced. And it’s not related to the characters anymore.

I will spend some more words about "Under Siege": I still recall when I read Avengers #276. As an italian kid grown up with a pretty in-depth knowledge of the Marvel mythos, I had not been reading Marvel comics for some 5-6 years, as our publisher, Corno, went bankrupt and left most of the series hanging approximately around 1978-1981 datelines. When I picked up that book I was in awe: Wasp, heading the Avengers, with an Ant-Man which is not Henry Pym are waiting, worried for an hospitalized Hercules which has been beaten to death (!), while the Police is cleaning up the mess in the aftermath of a battle. Unfortunately, I was just able to purchase #277 at the time, and then #280. I had the conclusion, but not the previous issues. Only recently, spurred by how "superhero" movies suck, I told myself: now I have to read that story in full, and purchased the whole run.

undersiege7.jpg

MUTANT MASSACRE is really good. Marvel finally decides what to do with the Morlocks...and it aint pretty. The Power Pack issues are surprisingly top notch. The Marauders vs. X-men (when Arclight realizes they aint up against defenseless Morlocks anymore....cool stuff) and Sabretooth vs. X-men fights are awesome.

The SCOURGE storyline that plays out mostly in Captain America is pretty darned good, as well as the CAP shoots a bad guy storyline that immediately follows is also real good.

Amazing Spider Man is awesome. the entire ron Frenz art run is awesome. Who is Hobgoblin? Gang War, Silver Sable etc. etc. One of the great super battles is during this time. Spidey, Sandman and Silver Sable vs. Hydro Man, Boomerang, Speed Demon, beetle and Rhino.

I read parts of the Mutant Massacre as it came out slightly before I started reading Marvel in english, they are among my favorites. Power Pack… I think the issue where Kate confronts Pestilence in the subway is among the finest Marvel stories ever. :)

Would you be able to tell me briefly which are the Cap and Spidey issues I should mostly look for? Thank you! (thumbs u

Jon Bogdanove is one of the few artists which can actually draw everything but especially capture the essence of childhood:

PowerPack_27_21-2.jpg

I loooove the Cockrum/Paul Smith drawn Brood Saga that ran through Uncanny X-Men around issues 150-160. One of the last good stories before Uncanny became re-treads for a decade.

I have those, I need to read them. Thanks! (thumbs u

What did you mean by "became re-treads for a decade"?

The late 80's brood story is also pretty good....mainly because of the more horror movie feel and the Silvestri art. Seriously....why do mosty silvestri stories seem to have a female cop or firefighter or doctor or something and they are all smoking hot?

I quite liked Silvestri, but after those issues the X-Men and relative titles started to go pretty awry. If I recall correctly, it was slightly before Inferno.

Thanks to everyone for the great response.

The first 25 issues of ROM

The Micronauts - especially the first 12 issues (Michael Golden art :cloud9:)

ROM and Micronauts, I know sooner or later I’ll have to spot the best issues from those. If you had to choose in terms of stories a limited number of issues, which would they be?

Kraven's Last Hunt

Under Siege - Avengers 270-277

Secret Wars

Mutant Massacre

Death of Jean DeWolf

Weapon X

Great suggestions. (thumbs u

– Ahh, "Under Siege"! :cloud9: I consider "Under Siege" a throrough masterpiece. I think I almost cried when I read parts of it. They were my first issue readings in English. Only recently I was able to purchase the run in full and I think it ranks among the finest Marvel age stories ever.

– Secret Wars: I have always been biased towards it. The Beyonder per se pretty puts me off. Can you talk me about the qualities of the story?

– I must take note to fill the issues I miss from the Mutant Massacre;

– "Death of Jean DeWolf": this one as well, I must look for those;

– I have read some of the Weapon X storyline as I bought them when they came out, but in the end I gave up not being a big Wolverine fan. I also did not like the idea of adding too much "retroactive continuity" and with Wolverine they did it beyond any acceptable limit… :flamed:

I recently read the Death of Jean DeWolf storyline and thought they missed the mark a little. It started great, with a lot of emotion and drama, but it sort of petered out toward the end. Or rather, the end didn't live up to the beginning's power. Still a great arc.