• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How common is it to get ripped off by artists?

12 posts in this topic

I sent payment to a pretty recognizable artist almost 3 weeks ago, for a finished page. We have exchanged a good bit of emails. The last one being last saturday stating the art would be shipped monday and that he would provide tracking info. The total cost is $230 for what i'm buying. Since then, no tracking number and no package waiting for me at home.

I really want to believe in the honesty of people. But, how common is it to get ripped off? What recourse would i have if i do get ripped, besides posting his name in these boards? Maybe a package will arrive tomorrow but each day that goes by makes me more worried. What are some of you guys' thoughts? Any advice? Thanks for any help.

I think Artists are inherently poor businessmen (or businesswomen) as a general statement, where they are more creative than professional.

Sure, there are exceptions to the rule, but for the most part a vast majority of the artists should use Art Dealer Reps to help manage their business affairs rather than be left to their own devices.

Unfortunately, it's rarely intentional as far as the neglect and delays, and it's just a product of their situations. So, the term "ripped off" is probably not the right word choices, to that degree, as it implies an attempt to commit fraud. I think a lot of artists just don't know how to run their own businesses in a professional manner. Again, there are exceptions to that statement and some that are very buttoned up.

I've had a lot of "the check (i.e. your artwork) is in the mail" false promises, mainly with commission work, where the piece is not even done, let alone ready to be shipped, since the next time I inquire I get an inconsistent answer of "oh, I'm doing your piece right now" to "oh, you're next on my list"

That's why, generally speaking, the best way to deal with artists is to not give them every reason not to be motivated to follow through, which means, avoiding paying "cash in advance" or the full amount. Once you surrender your money, you give the artist no incentive to do anything to follow through in a timely manner and become powerless.

Fortunately, or unfortunately in this age of social media and the internet, I've seen many people have to go through the last resorts of airing their issues in a public forum, and generally that's the only way to get the artists attention.

If you paid by "Pay Pal" then open up a case and get your money back, then if/when the artist sends the art, then re-send the money.

If you paid in person by cash or mailed in payment, then your only recourse is to air your story in a public forum, it's not extortion nor threats, just the truth of your experiences. You have to do, what you have to do, and if they feel it's rude or unwarranted, then they, the artists should have been more respectful towards you as well, and not let it come to this.

A smart artist knows getting a bad reputation only hurts their business, and from a long term play, is unwise to get the "stink" of being a flake and unreliable. It's a small community, so you'd be helping others out to avoid your situation as well.

So, if you have no other recourse, and you're not getting response to your communication (granted, if you just emailed last Sat, less than a week ago, and you were promised the art to be mailed on Mon, and it's only been a few days - - what you're encountering is nothing compared to your peers who have been given the run-around, and in your case I'd say be a tad more patient and wait another week for at least an email back.

I've been in year long horror stories waiting for some artists and have heard of people being in limbo even longer (and still in limbo), and even have friends who have artists actually pass away before fulfilling their obligation.

Thanks for the comments. I paid 3 weeks ago. But due to this artist being at a con 2 saturdays ago, there was a delay. Then again with the storm in the northeast. I have been patient and continue to be. I'll continue to wait but if it gets close to the 45 day mark, i will open a case with paypal. I will also make it known in the forum. The term "ripped off" refers to paying and never receiving the art, not being stalled by the artist. I just figured artists would be a little more proffesional when it comes to selling art. In fact, this artist has his girlfriend handling his affairs for him and still a 3 week delay. Hopefully, it will show up soon as i would much rather have the art than my money back.

They are artists, not business man.

I would sit back and relax. Unless this artist has a know track record for not delivering, i would not even be concerned.

Like I said, they are artists.

They might work during the night hours and sleep during the day.

I am not kidding. I know many guys that are like this.

Putting pressure on them does not help the cause.

Just my 2 cents....

I have not seen a scan of the art but he assured me it is finished. Wouldn't it have to be if the book ot is in was published in december? This info is helpful because it seems like everyone has to wait a while. And who knows, it may show up today or tomorrow. I'll wait and see what happens. The sad thing is i originally wanted multiple pages from this artist but depending on how this turns out, i may just get the one. Then again if waiting a month or more is the norm then i will know to expect it. Thanks guys.

Like AKA Rick said, a smart artist should know that a bad reputation only hurts their business. So it puzzles me that some artists don't just do the right thing. I've had the unfortunate experience of waiting months and months for work that wasn't what had been agreed on. In another case, with inker Keith Champagne, he sold me Green Lantern art that he didn't have. He eventually returned my money (after months of following up) and promised to send me art as compensation for the hassle. Naturally, the art never came and all emails have been ignored. I hope that this would be the case with you.

Do check with PayPal if you are covered by the Buyer Protection Policy, it sounds to me from a reading of their eligibility requirements that you are only covered if payment was made thru a site's checkout process. So if this deal was personal then you may not be covered.

Good luck!

My biggest worry with artists is how they are going to ship the art. I will see though that there were 2 artists that have had the best packaging. I had one close call with an artist. The only art I have ever had bent in half was sent by a rep. She didn't understand how it could have happened...it was the flimsiest card board I had ever seen.

I don't want to name him here yet jimmy. Everything could still work out. Nothing showed up today in the mail and no email. The artist's boss does contribute to a thread on this forum though.

As for buyer protection thru paypal, i checked and i have the option to open a case with them. I'm not too worried about losing the money; i just want my art. I also bought 2 variants of the book he works on that will be personalized.

I have decided that if 44 days go by with nothing, i will open a case and put his name out there. The funny thing is his girlfriend who handles his shipping told me that everything was packed and ready to go. Maybe they are too busy to post tracking numbers for everything but at least they could say, hey your package has shipped!

As far as packaging goes, i asked him to pack like it's going to war and he said no problem. I even paid $10 for that!