• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What a month it has been..... by ThePastorOfMuppets

6 posts in this topic

I may have a problem

In my first journal,i blabbed about getting my 30 book submission back. What a rush that was. I am still drinking in all the goodness. But, like most of you, i still kept hunting for more goodies not 2 days later.

First off, i stumbled on to a nice, high grade Batman #1 1:200 at a very low price. No reason it should get lower than a 9.6. My #2 got 9.6, and they would make a nice pair.

A week later, board member Tnerb hooked me up with a great book. On that note i just want to say thanks to those of you whom i have purchased from off of the boards. Been great experiences all around. And i was able to add a few more JSC books to my set.

And then this happened. Being a J Scott Campbell collector, the Siege #3 book has been a thorn in my side for 2 years. It carries a hefty price tag for a modern book. And the past 6 months the only 9.8 copies i have seen on the auction sites are $1800+. I had my chance to get one for under $1000 (a 9.8 SS no less) and i took it. It will take some time to pay it off, but i am glad i have it. Some of you may call me crazy, or worse, but it is the holy grail to my set. And it looks so nice proudly displayed on my bookshelf next to my other gems.

But let me ask you all. Do you think any modern book should carry that kind of value?

Thanks for reading.

See more journals by ThePastorOfMuppets

Yes!

Especially the 50 for 1 trade in that Marvel did in this case.

It's rare & it's of the lowest print runs for moderns.

Wolverine #1 Deadpool fetches a bit more, but i think the black cover and design are just a bit cooler.

Strangely, the mcguinness fear itself 6 never took off.

I've seen it go for 100 bucks!

Being a huge fan of Moderns myself I do have a few of those special ones in my collection that while most will say aren't worth it I guess in my opinion they are to me. I tend to go after the 1:100's and above and have now looked at some of the Zenescope Variants as the art is simply eye catching to me. Additionally I am hooked on the sketch variants which is odd that something unfinished would appeal to anyone.

Like you, your Siege #3 Bling variant is on my wish list but at the huge prices they go for I am simply stuck wishing and wanting. I was able to acquire one of the Wolverine #1 variant's as well as the Fear Itself #6 and my personal favorite and hard find Walking Dead #100 Comixology Variant. I do have to say that the Wolverine Origins #10 Third Claw, Uncanny X-Force #20 Venom Variant, and the Amazing Spider-Man # 678 Venom Variant are my next three that I’m looking to pick up before attempting to go after the Siege #3 Variant.

While I never believe any of these should catch a higher price than many of the Silver and Gold Age comics I do think that they can certainly rival the Bronze and or Copper Age comics as they are all within that time frame of introducing variants to the market.

Unlike some I don't think variants are "ruining" the market but simply giving collectors another venue of approach towards the hobby. I collect what I like and honestly believe that when I pass away my kids will be the ones to split the collection up and maybe sell it for their own profit. As for me, baring a life altering oh my God I lost my job, have cancer, and got hit by a truck and it was my fault kind of thing, I will hold onto my collection and proudly display my comics within my man cave, and along my children’s wall's in there room.

I do have one question, Where do you look for Modern CGC Variants? Aside from eBay, mycomicshop, and comiclink I have had to simply wait for Con’s to look.

K

Short Answer, HELL NO

Modern stuff shouldn't be worth so much but it is. I can't throw H at people for buying and selling stuff for what the market will bear. If someone is willing to sell a Lead age book for 1800 bucks and someone is willing to pay for it, by all means sell it. If someone is willing to buy it, by all means sell it.

I feel like the rarity of these books is artificial and baked into the cake when they're created. Cats are like, lets print 5000 copies of issue # 1 to generate buzz for it and get all the speculators squirming. Instant buzz occurs, everybody is trying to buy it, then they release multiple variants and reprint the hell out of it. Unlike books that are truly old, I feel like the buzz around alot of these newer modern books is fleeting. If your looking to flip them you do it fast cause the price can fluctuate. As fast as it goes up people will forget about it and move on to the next thing just as fast.

One thing that I do find interesting is that when I look for one of these Oh soooo Rare Lead Age variants on eBay I can find as many as I want, whatever variant I want in whatever grade. When you look for stuff thats truly Rare, it simply can't be found. Just think, for $1800 you could get a first Appearance of Wovlerine or Giant Size X-men #1. Buy hey, buy what you love.

First off, and not that it matters, but i can not stand this new term "Lead Age". It is the "Modern Age". I find the other term condescending. Is it really my fault that i wasn't born early enough to get the old books? Should me, and other Modern age collectors refer to Gold/Silver/Bronze age as "Grey Balls" age? No, because that would be equally as rude and demeaning. I have slowly started to take a shine to some older books. This certainly does not detract from my love of modern books, it only adds to my appreciation for the art form, as a whole.

And as far as rarity goes for value of modern books, the Siege #3 i just purchased, had a print run of 400, which is far less than a Hulk #181 or a Giant X-Men #1. And to boot, only 78 total copies have been graded as opposed to the near 5700 graded copies of 181 out there. As far as shear numbers go, my new book out weighs the rarity of 181 by miles. What sets the difference is demand. And i could really care less.

I am only bringing this forward for the sake of argument and entertainment. I will never play the "what i collect is awesome, and what you collect sucks" card. Collecting is a truly personal experience, not to be dictated to by others.

But i must agree with you when it comes to the speculators and ebay vultures. Most modern books, variant or not, are not worth the exuberant prices that some of these swamp donkey lovers are asking. I have paid more than i should have for some books, but only because the bigger LCS's are over an hour drive away, and even they don't carry everything i am looking for. Point being that, yes, i do think that moderns can carry a high value, but only in a few cases. I think that the price of the ASM #700 1:200 is completely ridiculous, but thats just me. There were far too many copies printed to warrant that price tag.

Ok, i am done. For now..........

I still need a Wolverine #1 Deadpool variant. I will get one, hopefully this year if the price is right. As far as where i get my Modern Age CGC's, it has been all ebay and submissions until recently, when i started using the boards here. I did find a near complete run of Batman #608-619 all graded 9.8 for $20 a book at comic shop, but that was a one time thing. Most LCS's in my area only carry Bronze Age and earlier CGC's, if any.