• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

That's odd because I was under the impression that Bug and Marionette were two original characters created by Marvel for the series. There were no toy counterparts for either of these characters.

That's odd because I was under the impression that Bug and Marionette were two original characters created by Marvel for the series. There were no toy counterparts for either of these characters.

I actually thought the same at one point. So when the early news came out that Gunn wanted to include Bug in the GotG movie, I was looking forward to this. I didn't realize it would be another movie rights hiccup.

Oh well.

GOTG just took another hit on Rotten Tomatoes...

" By the end, you'll have been winked at so much you may think you've been staring at a strobe light for nearly two hours. "

boo hiss

xxx ooo

Rupp

...at some point you have to realize that the negative reviews are just strategic to get people to notice their column/paper/blog because they'd be the very few in the sea of positives. I have found that, in reading RT's congregate content since the site began that either that is the case or the reviewer simply hates ALL comicbook/sci-fi/fantasy movies (i.e. anything with CGI). They can't wrap their tiny minds around the concept.

Peace,

Chip

Benicio del Toro On His Marvel Contract As The Collector

---------------------------------

Said del Toro on The Collector, "What James [Gunn] wanted, that I found out little by little as I was doing it, is that he wanted me to explore and just keep pushing the character and keep creating [him] as I was in front of the camera."

---------------------------------

Marvel may have him on a multi-movie deal, which is interesting.

...at some point you have to realize that the negative reviews are just strategic to get people to notice their column/paper/blog because they'd be the very few in the sea of positives. I have found that, in reading RT's congregate content since the site began that either that is the case or the reviewer simply hates ALL comicbook/sci-fi/fantasy movies (i.e. anything with CGI). They can't wrap their tiny minds around the concept.

Peace,

Chip

and sometimes they honestly didn't think it was any good. this doesn't seem to be the case of some schmoe panning True Grit because he was a friend of John Wayne and Jeff Bridges was no John Wayne or Armand White railing at the racism in 12 Years a Slave or the reviewer in Arizona who panned Pixar movies just because- those were actual examples of "look at me, i'm an attention whore" reviews.

Some insufficiently_on_the_bandwagon_person gave it a splat on RT so now it's "only" 97%.

There are some folks out there that are totally missing the point of Guardians, and not liking the volume of humor included in the story. I don't get that. One fellow wrote an article that 'Guardians' will be Marvel's doomsday.

:facepalm:

Can't folks let the movie come out and prove itself before 'doomsday' is posted in an article?

after the first trailer, i would have agreed. looked terrible. the second trailer changed my opinion. i'm still not sold on Star-Lord but Marvel will be getting my $ with this one.

I agree 100%

I did a face palm through the entire first (Jimmy Kimmel) trailer. I've seen tons of footage since and I'm really enjoying what I see. Now I can't wait. Although like you I'm still not sold on Star Lord, no matter how hyped he is. I'm definitely trying to find him enjoyable.

I personally don't like the actor, but I am expecting to enjoy the movie regardless. I've sat through many movies I liked with actors I didn't care for. I even thought Neighbors was decent despite starring Seth Rogen. lol

Ok let's do this. Let me start off by saying that I needed to take some xanex before posting this because... I GOT A HUG FROM ZOE SALDANA (boom, drops mic, wins internet) Ok ok ok so that's it, life over. Now on to the movie. I am going to split this review up somewhat. with lot's of spoiler tags. I will ruin this movie for you if you read the spoilers. So don't read the spoilers. But don't blame me if you do.

Saw it in 3D and I have to say, first time I walked away from a 3D showing saying wow I am glad I saw that in 3D. It is exceptionally well done and adds alot to the movie. Shocking I know. Movie opens in the early days and introduces us to Starlord. We are on Earth for about 5 minutes and that's it. No more Earth. I am completely shocked, because I didn't know how deep down the cosmic rabbit hole Marvel was willing to go, well they went there. Tons of aliens are shown through out the movie, we're in space alot, we go to Knowhere. It is SO cosmic. We start the movie off with Starlord's quest to steal the cosmic mcguffen.

really?

It's the soul gem, more on that in a bit

The movie starts right off setting the ton. This movie is funny. This movie is VERY VERY funny. Jokes are cracked everywhere

And I mean EVERYWHERE

the lines are well written and James Gunn knocked the -script out of the park. Not surprised about the rumors that he may do Avengers 3. Enough can not be said about how well the -script is.

So about the -script. This movie is Star Wars done right. We've got a bunch of misfit characters thrown together who have to work together to stop the big bad from destroying the world. We're zipping around space, things are exploding, snappy banter ("Don't get Cocky Kid") all different kinds of aliens, a strong and powerful being that can only say one thing but other characters understand it. I mean it's Star Wars and I mean that as a huge compliment.

So Gamora (God is Zoe Saldana amazing in the role) is dispatched by Roman to get the mcguffen back. Blah blah blah fights ensue, stuff blows up, we meet Rocket and Groot, Stan lee plays a perv (yup you read that right) and eventually everyone gets captured by the Nova Corps.

The Kyln escape is amazing! So much action and now we've got Drax along for the ride (I love Dave Batista, huge wrestling fan, it takes a lot of time to get used to him in the role, and it's hard to catch everything he says because it's very gutteral but overall he does a very good job)

Roman get's called to get person_without_enough_empathyed out by Thanos and WE GET TO SEE THANOS. The CG isn't great. You kind of feel that it was rushed and that it's a weird mix of James Brolin's face and Thanos. The armor looks great though and I'll admit a popped a nerd boner when we see him in his floating stone chair in space

For all the news about Benecio del Toro and The Collector

he's in it for about two minutes but he serves a nice purpose because

Really?

This is going to blow your mind

he introduces the infinity gems. Legit introduces them. Including explaining they come from the Eternals etc. I mean doesn't list them out etc but it's amazing, which also means there is no question Infinity Gauntlet is coming

Ok so lots of battles and then the movie is over.

Overall... the movie is fantastic. I loved the witty banter. Its fast and sharp. Groot and Rocket OWN the movie. But everyone is on there game and Chris Pratt does a great job in leading role. I'd say the weakest link was Dave Batista and honestly, he's not that bad. I don't know if you're going to want to bring your kid to this. There is A LOT of cursing, jokes ("he got my call" is an actual line in the movie, but let me tell you it is funny), etc

Given that this is not a property most people are familiar with so I think people will be very very surprised and love the concept. I have tickets to go again Friday night.

O and the button.... there was none. Idk. Not sure why? Have any questions? Hit me up!

Ok let's do this. Let me start off by saying that I needed to take some xanex before posting this because... I GOT A HUG FROM ZOE SALDANA (boom, drops mic, wins internet)

:roflmao: