• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

I can understand all the Star Wars comparisons, but I walked away with a feeling this was more this generation's version of Firefly than ST. Unlike FF, this movie Is backed much better either the show or the Serenity movie.

Firefly? Most people don't even know what Firefly is. I get your comparison in terms of the tone and feel of the movie and agree with you. But in terms of impact, there is no comparison to Firefly. Star Wars comparison is much more valid.

I have no idea what Firefly is....

:o

Them's fightin' words!

Firefly was a Joss Whedon show that followed rebels (and others) after losing a war. It took place in space or "the Black." Starred Nathan Fillion as the captain of the Firefly-class ship, Serenity. It lasted one season, despite being a show that was good enough to bring in 5000 fans to a panel 10 years after it aired. It was the precursor to the movie "Serenity."

I highly recommend it!

Saw the movie last night. Liked it but didn't love it. Perhaps my expectations were too high thanks to all the trailers and this thread.

The Star Wars vibe was strong and thought it was also influenced by Firefly.

Drax didn't have much purpose in the show and was poorly cast - the actor's big enough but can't act - they should have cast Batista as Groot because he hardly said anything

Rooker was great as Yondu but I don't understand why Marvel always needs to insert so many villains in a movie. Did we really need to see the Ravagers on top of Ronan, The Collector, Thanos and Nebula?

Some of the funny bits felt forced. The Dance Off is the most obvious example. I get that it was funny but it was also stupid. Would have been much better for Drax to jump in and bravely delay Ronan through superhuman effort and perhaps sacrifice himself in the process - would have redeemed his character after doing almost nothing through the entire movie.

Groot and Rocket stole the show. Groot was just plain adorable. Rocket was tough as nails, but they did a great job developing his character in the second half of the movie. And both looked wonderful.

Chris Pratt did a great job portraying Starlord. A fun loving star lord who brought everyone together.

Yeah. The Dance Off was definitely cringe worthy.

I thought the dance off was hilarious and a very fitting end to the film. It helped keep the light hearted nature of the film in tact.

I can understand all the Star Wars comparisons, but I walked away with a feeling this was more this generation's version of Firefly than ST. Unlike FF, this movie Is backed much better either the show or the Serenity movie.

For me, the comparisons are more like what young kids take away from the film. Running around the neighborhood playing Star Wars or Battlestar Galactica was pretty much a daily event for my friends and I 30+ years ago. I like to think that this week, there's a whole new generation of kids letting their PS4 gather dust while they are outside playing Guardians of the Galaxy with their friends. :wishluck:

My son is 7. His generation is still playing Star Wars. Most of them haven't even seen the movies, but Lego has educated them about every aspect of that universe.

For me, the comparisons are more like what young kids take away from the film. Running around the neighborhood playing Star Wars or Battlestar Galactica was pretty much a daily event for my friends and I 30+ years ago. I like to think that this week, there's a whole new generation of kids letting their PS4 gather dust while they are outside playing Guardians of the Galaxy with their friends. :wishluck:

My son is 7. His generation is still playing Star Wars. Most of them haven't even seen the movies, but Lego has educated them about every aspect of that universe.

My two year old is obsessed with Star Wars. I know I probably shouldn't let him watch it, but I do.

The other day in Target we found toy lightsabers. He handed me the red one and said I was Darth Vader and he took the blue one and said he was Luke Skywalker.

I was so proud (thumbs u

My two year old is obsessed with Star Wars. I know I probably shouldn't let him watch it, but I do.

The other day in Target we found toy lightsabers. He handed me the red one and said I was Darth Vader and he took the blue on and said he was Luke Skywalker.

I was so proud (thumbs u

..and you should be. :grin:

:applause:

Everyone seems to be heaping a lot of praise on this movie, but I have 2 complaints and I'd like to see if anyone agrees with me. First, the fight between Drax and Ronan was no contest. Ronan owned Drax, I mean, gee, Drax could have at least landed one meaningful punch. Then at the end when Ronan was about to Destroy Xandar, I found it a little bit of a stretch for Ronan to allow himself to be that distracted by Quill dancing around. Nice humorous touch, but just not consistent with how Ronan managed himself up to that point. Otherwise, the character development was great and they pulled off Groot and Rocket masterfully, making for a very entertaining movie and a home run all the way.

I think the comic-based Drax was too strong for the story line. I expect his dunk in the Celestial cerebrospinal fluid will bring him to full power if needed in the next film.

I was confused about Drax. I thought he was supposed to be super bad@$$, and then he didn't even land one meaningful punch on Ronan? Ronan didn't have the infinity gem yet so why was he so much more powerful than Drax? Maybe I'm not up on my Kree lore. Does Ronan have superkree strength or is he just a big Kree warrior? Does this mean any Kree warrior can beat Drax?

When Drax got thrown into the Celestial Cerebrospinal fluid I figured that was going to enhance his strength but nothing happened.

So what's the deal with Ronan's preinfinity stone strength? Can someone enlighted me?

The other day in Target we found toy lightsabers. He handed me the red one and said I was Darth Vader and he took the blue one and said he was Luke Skywalker.

I was so proud (thumbs u

And then mess got serious when you cut off his hand telling him that you were his father.

Everyone seems to be heaping a lot of praise on this movie, but I have 2 complaints and I'd like to see if anyone agrees with me. First, the fight between Drax and Ronan was no contest. Ronan owned Drax, I mean, gee, Drax could have at least landed one meaningful punch. Then at the end when Ronan was about to Destroy Xandar, I found it a little bit of a stretch for Ronan to allow himself to be that distracted by Quill dancing around. Nice humorous touch, but just not consistent with how Ronan managed himself up to that point. Otherwise, the character development was great and they pulled off Groot and Rocket masterfully, making for a very entertaining movie and a home run all the way.

I think the comic-based Drax was too strong for the story line. I expect his dunk in the Celestial cerebrospinal fluid will bring him to full power if needed in the next film.

I was confused about Drax. I thought he was supposed to be super bad@$$, and then he didn't even land one meaningful punch on Ronan? Ronan didn't have the infinity gem yet so why was he so much more powerful than Drax? Maybe I'm not up on my Kree lore. Does Ronan have superkree strength or is he just a big Kree warrior? Does this mean any Kree warrior can beat Drax?

When Drax got thrown into the Celestial Cerebrospinal fluid I figured that was going to enhance his strength but nothing happened.

So what's the deal with Ronan's preinfinity stone strength? Can someone enlighted me?

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what they were doing with the power levels of Drax, Ronin etc. I think Marvel struggled with the concept that some of these characters have 100+ class strength, which puts them on par with the flagship powerhouses - Hulk and Thor. I don't think they are quite ready to have "generic" alien protagonists that are of that same power class.

I am not saying they are right, or that they couldn't have had the Drax-Ronin battle be more even handed, but I feel like they are still trying to nail down how powerful some of these characters are going to be, and they don't necessarily want them to outclass the Terran big guns.

Two more funny things on my son and Star Wars,

1) I don't think he fully understands that Darth Vader and the Stormtroopers are the bad guys. He plays and carries around all my old Stormtroopers and is obsessed with them. When we watch Jedi, he gets really upset when Darth Vader dies.

2) If I try to put in any of the new trilogy films, he cries hysterically and says they aren't Star Wars.

I'm hoping we can get him in to a movie theater before the next film to see if he can handle it. I was hoping Ninja Turtles would be good but it looks like garbage.

I was so proud (thumbs u

And then mess got serious when you cut off his hand telling him that you were his father.

:o

:roflmao:

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what they were doing with the power levels of Drax, Ronin etc. I think Marvel struggled with the concept that some of these characters have 100+ class strength, which puts them on par with the flagship powerhouses - Hulk and Thor. I don't think they are quite ready to have "generic" alien protagonists that are of that same power class.

I am not saying they are right, or that they couldn't have had the Drax-Ronin battle be more even handed, but I feel like they are still trying to nail down how powerful some of these characters are going to be, and they don't necessarily want them to outclass the Terran big guns.

I think you're right. I was expecting Drax to kick his tail but I kind of think maybe Drax will take possession of an Infinity gem like he did in Warlock and the Infinity Watch. That might give the filmmakers a away to power him up to the heavy power levels we are used to seeing him have. (shrug)

Two more funny things on my son and Star Wars,

1) I don't think he fully understands that Darth Vader and the Stormtroopers are the bad guys. He plays and carries around all my old Stormtroopers and is obsessed with them. When we watch Jedi, he gets really upset when Darth Vader dies.

2) If I try to put in any of the new trilogy films, he cries hysterically and says they aren't Star Wars.

I'm hoping we can get him in to a movie theater before the next film to see if he can handle it. I was hoping Ninja Turtles would be good but it looks like garbage.

I can understand #1 due to the better uniforms. lol

The 2nd part really makes me like your son. (thumbs u

Saw the movie last night. Liked it but didn't love it. Perhaps my expectations were too high thanks to all the trailers and this thread.

The Star Wars vibe was strong and thought it was also influenced by Firefly.

Drax didn't have much purpose in the show and was poorly cast - the actor's big enough but can't act - they should have cast Batista as Groot because he hardly said anything

Rooker was great as Yondu but I don't understand why Marvel always needs to insert so many villains in a movie. Did we really need to see the Ravagers on top of Ronan, The Collector, Thanos and Nebula?

Some of the funny bits felt forced. The Dance Off is the most obvious example. I get that it was funny but it was also stupid. Would have been much better for Drax to jump in and bravely delay Ronan through superhuman effort and perhaps sacrifice himself in the process - would have redeemed his character after doing almost nothing through the entire movie.

Groot and Rocket stole the show. Groot was just plain adorable. Rocket was tough as nails, but they did a great job developing his character in the second half of the movie. And both looked wonderful.

Chris Pratt did a great job portraying Starlord. A fun loving star lord who brought everyone together.

Yeah. The Dance Off was definitely cringe worthy.

I thought the dance off was hilarious and a very fitting end to the film. It helped keep the light hearted nature of the film in tact.

(thumbs u

First there was James Gunn thanking everyone for their support. Now, Chris Pratt. Again, another classy move from the movie team overall.

'So happy!' Chris Pratt thanks fans as Guardians Of The Galaxy breaks box office record with Marvel-ous $94m debut

article-2714941-203A26E700000578-581_634x277.jpg

Where some stars can be ME-ME-ME, it is so cool to read one that wants to recognize all those people supporting a film that you may never know their names.

The more I read about this guy, the more I like him (thumbs u

You should see him on Parks & Recreations. He is awesomely hilarious on that show.

True - plus if he had been that powerful surely he wouldn't have ended up in that prison?

I took my girls to see it on Friday, in which we all liked it a lot.

Well, I get a text this morning from youngest one, excited that she found some of the Guardians in her Marvels Lego game.

The Lego games have done wonders for kids to understand the Marvel and DC universes.

Just watched GOTG for 2nd time. Awesome!!! Because I know what is going on I pay more attention to the stuff not at the center of screen. Like Rocket checking out the guard's controller attached to his arm thinking about how...

Anyhow, this movie (for me) blows away everything, except Avengers, Dark Knight, Cap 2, Star Trek reboot and Iron Man 1. Probably better than those IMHO. I can see watching this movie several more times while still in theater. I hardly ever watch any movie twice in theaters.

Anyone thinking about sitting it out and catching this on DVD/Blue Ray are missing something great. Movies like this do not come around that often. This is something great! Can't give GOTG enough praise. It is special. Nuff said!

Just watched GOTG for 2nd time. Awesome!!! Because I know what is going on I pay more attention to the stuff not at the center of screen. Like Rocket checking out the guard's controller attached to his arm thinking about how...

Anyhow, this movie (for me) blows away everything, except Avengers, Dark Knight, Cap 2, Star Trek reboot and Iron Man 1. Probably better than those IMHO. I can see watching this movie several more times while still in theater. I hardly ever watch any movie twice in theaters.

Anyone thinking about sitting it out and catching this on DVD/Blue Ray are missing something great. Movies like this do not come around that often. This is something great! Can't give GOTG enough praise. It is special. Nuff said!