• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

Could someone try to explain the rational behind IM 2 & especially 3 success??

Was GOG not kid friendly and IM2,3 were or something?

I truly am baffled by it.

Where are all those viewers from IM3? Why didn't they return for CAP2/GOG?

Or was IM3 so bad it scared off potential viewers of GOG/CA2?

YAHOO.COM: How Iron Man 3 made a billion dollars

I think two of the biggest contributors are an established franchise and the international box office success for this movie. Marvel especially filmed scenes in China just to feel out how it would go over in that market.

China: $121,200,000

The strategy paid off.

IM2 piggybacked off IM- it stank.

IM3 piggybacked off Avengers- it stank worse.

Cap: WS was a huge uptick from Cap; was never going to play as well overseas.

GOTG exceeded all expectations.

YAHOO.COM: How Iron Man 3 made a billion dollars

I think two of the biggest contributors are an established franchise and the international box office success for this movie. Marvel especially filmed scenes in China just to feel out how it would go over in that market.

China: $121,200,000

The strategy paid off.

That doesn't really explain away the domestic premium though.

Also, Cap had just as much exposure. My theory then is that Cap 1 wasn't all that good (at least to me and possibly the general population), so it took strong word of mouth to bring back viewers. While GOG was unknown. In that case, established franchise is such a big factor; they should have had IM make a cameo in GOG so it would double revenue. lol Would have tied in perfectly with IM55.

An established franchise on what became a then recognized character says more than enough. Look at how bad some of those later Harry Potter movies were, yet it was like they were printing money.

And like Paperheart pointed out, The Avengers didn't hurt in helping build expectations. But the -script direction felt like RDJ was saying farewell to the role with all that exploding armor.

An established franchise on what became a then recognized character says more than enough. Look at how bad some of those later Harry Potter movies were, yet it was like they were printing money.

And like Paperheart pointed out, The Avengers didn't hurt in helping build expectations. But the -script direction felt like RDJ was saying farewell to the role with all that exploding armor. [/quote

Makes one wonder why an IM 4 isn't being rushed right away. Considering how well it did, I'm surprised hollywood doesn't order a sequel pronto (esp. since they are talking about 10 sequels on some of the other franchise characters). The beauty for RDJ, is if it fails (and he isn't in it)... then he gets the credit for 1,2,3 spectacular success. If he was in it; I'd be really surprised to see the outcome.

Makes one wonder why an IM 4 isn't being rushed right away. Considering how well it did, I'm surprised hollywood doesn't order a sequel pronto (esp. since they are talking about 10 sequels on some of the other franchise characters). The beauty for RDJ, is if it fails (and he isn't in it)... then he gets the credit for 1,2,3 spectacular success. If he was in it; I'd be really surprised to see the outcome.

There are a lot of rumors of Iron Man 4 being in the works. Even when asked about it, RDJ hints that he is open to it if they want him back.

Iron Man 4 Release Date, Cast Latest: 2019 Hints Dropped at Comic Con 2014, Robert Downey Jr. On Board

And with someone like Ben Kingsley wanting to go back to the Mandarin role as the actual powerful villain, that could make it even more interesting.

Iron Man 4: Ben Kingsley Teases Us About The Mandarin

'Guardians' as of Thursday.

dYcKSz4.png

I'm always shock at how low the Revenue Ratio are on these blockbuster movies. A movie like "The Fault in our Stars" made $286 million worldwide on a $12 million dollar budget. I think Spielberg and Lucas have it right. The future isn't in movies with $150+ million making $800+ million worldwide, but $12 million making $250+ million worldwide. A studio can put out many more of these low budget films and risk much less money in the process and not have to risk a Lone Ranger, John Carter, or Sin City epic failure.

I don't know why The Hulk struggles. There's not much cooler than an angry green monster who just gets stronger the angrier he gets :shrug:

I know a few kids who like the Hulk, but he's never there favourite.

They can't seem to get it right with the Hulk. I actually prefer the Ang Lee version to be honest. I have never seen a better Hulk on the big screen than when he took on the tanks in the desert: grabbing a tank and hurling it over the sand dunes = AWESOME.

The Incredible Hulk with Ed Norton they didn't get the look correct. Way to cut muscle wise and veins and stuff and the Hulk looked computer generated. It takes you out of the fantasy if it looks fake.

Neither movie had a good enough story. They need to hire someone who knows the Hulk, and knows how to make a good movie. Start the film with a bang and have the Hulk appear in the first scene smashing things up. As a viewer I don't understand why I have to wait 30-45 minutes into the film before I see the Hulk. It creates a boring film.

Someone that knows the Hulk would write better "Hulk" scenes. For example: In the Incredible Hulk the army shows up on the university campus and use these giant sound cannons in an attempt to defeat the Hulk. The way they wrote how the Hulk defeats the sound cannons was very un-hulk like in my opinion. The Hulk is laying on the ground being bombarded by the sound waves, and he reaches back and grabs a piece of metal and throws it at one of the sound cannons destroying it. It isn't how the Hulk I know and love would defeat his enemy...the Hulk I know would have got mad that they were bombarding him with the sound, and in an act of sheer will and defiance would prove his superior power and strength. He would have stood up while the sound waves are bombarding him, and then he would raise his mighty arms into the air and smash the ground causing the sound cannons to topple and bust up. THAT is the Hulk.

Oh yeah, the Hulk also doesn't need nor use "taxi-cab" boxing gloves! doh!

I don't know why The Hulk struggles. There's not much cooler than an angry green monster who just gets stronger the angrier he gets :shrug:

They can't seem to get it right with the Hulk. I actually prefer the Ang Lee version to be honest. I have never seen a better Hulk on the big screen than when he took on the tanks in the desert: grabbing a tank and hurling it over the sand dunes = AWESOME.

The Incredible Hulk with Ed Norton they didn't get the look correct. Way to cut muscle wise and veins and stuff and the Hulk looked computer generated. It takes you out of the fantasy if it looks fake.

Neither movie had a good enough story. They need to hire someone who knows the Hulk, and knows how to make a good movie. Start the film with a bang and have the Hulk appear in the first scene smashing things up. As a viewer I don't understand why I have to wait 30-45 minutes into the film before I see the Hulk. It creates a boring film.

Someone that knows the Hulk would write better "Hulk" scenes. For example: In the Incredible Hulk the army shows up on the university campus and use these giant sound cannons in an attempt to defeat the Hulk. The way they wrote how the Hulk defeats the sound cannons was very un-hulk like in my opinion. The Hulk is laying on the ground being bombarded by the sound waves, and he reaches back and grabs a piece of metal and throws it at one of the sound cannons destroying it. It isn't how the Hulk I know and love would defeat his enemy...the Hulk I know would have got mad that they were bombarding him with the sound, and in an act of sheer will and defiance would prove his superior power and strength. He would have stood up while the sound waves are bombarding him, and then he would raise his mighty arms into the air and smash the ground causing the sound cannons to topple and bust up. THAT is the Hulk.

Well flippin' said. I really wasn't a fan of the villain choice in Ang's version though. Abomination was well done.

I feel Hulk is always best served when he's paired up with someone else. Instead of giving us Iron Man 4, give us a Hulk/Iron Man combo! Or GOTG with Hulk.

Well flippin' said. I really wasn't a fan of the villain choice in Ang's version though. Abomination was well done.

I feel Hulk is always best served when he's paired up with someone else. Instead of giving us Iron Man 4, give us a Hulk/Iron Man combo! Or GOTG with Hulk.

Yeah I think Hulk is not strong enough to carry a movie. His IQ the size of a rodent doesn't create the dialogue like for example an iron-man or even the macho talk of a Thor or Wolverine... And his alter ego is pretty lame. People come for Hulk not the alter ego, but with Hulk it is mostly grunts and not much else, and that gets old far before a feature lenght movie is over. So could perhaps be a decent supporting character for someone else if done right.

I think they should explore the "multiple personalities" Hulk more. Introduce Doc Samson as someone who has the skills to cure him psychologically yet also keep the Hulk at bay physically. Grey/Green/Banner over a movie or two and then get the combination Hulk as a result where he had Banner's intellect & Grey Hulk's nastiness.

Peace,

Chip

Oh yeah, the Hulk also doesn't need nor use "taxi-cab" boxing gloves!

I forgot about that. When In saw that happen in the movie I doh! . They literally took that from the hulk video game (which was awesome BTW). Him running along the buildings was also a direct cut from the game. Very lame.

It looks like because GotG really has no competition right now. Including this weekend, which is one of the worst on record for box office results.

Friday Report: 'Guardians' Rules, 'Identical' Flops

-------------------

With faith-based flick The Identical bombing, Guardians of the Galaxy easily held on to first place at the box office on a very slow Friday.

The Top 10 earned just $13.2 million yesterday. On the worst weekend of the past decade (Sept. 5-7), the Top 10 took in $14 million. Translation: this will likely be the lowest-grossing weekend in over a decade.

Guardians of the Galaxy eased 30 percent to an estimated $2.71 million. The Marvel movie has so far earned $287.1 million, and is on track to reach $300 million next weekend.

For the three-day frame, Guardians will take first place with just under $10 million. This will be its fourth weekend in the top spot: The Dark Knight, Avatar and The Hunger Games are the only other movies to accomplish such a feat in the past decade.

-------------------

So with that news, GotG ends up breaking a record.

BOX OFFICE: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Beats AVENGERS Record; THE DARK KNIGHT Next?

-------------------

"Essentially, Guardians has been able to blaze a trail at the B.O. given the lack of strong franchise titles in the slumpy frame of late August and September. Not one title is eating into its grosses." As of right now, Guardians of the Galaxy is tied with The Dark Knight as that too was at #1 for four weeks. However, it's likely that the movie will top that next weekend and break yet another record as it shouldn't have too much of a problem holding off competition from Dolphin Tale 2 and No Good Deed.

-------------------

I say at least it is a fellow comic book movie accomplishing this record.

:applause: