• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

I saw it asked, but if it was answered I missed it. Appropriate for kids? If so what ages?

It's appropriate for kids if you don't mind the word "mess" being said a handful of times. While the story isn't complicated, it might be for those under 8.

Thanos sounded and looked bad IMO. Looked better in Avengers. Hope they pull a Lucas and alter that for the DVD release.

I thought the same thing, he definitely looked better in the Avengers credits scene.

Man, the number of forumites going back for a second viewing is super-positive.

:whee::applause::whee:

I just got out of it, and I could easily see going for a second viewing. I'm also coming to grips with never owning a TTA #13.

I'm happy with Where Monsters Dwell 6.

$80mm opening weekend, $225mm domestic box office; may even top X-Men: DOFP

It's been open like a day, where did they get the time machine for these numbers? (Not that I'm disputing them, it just seems odd to me to predict box office numbers on a Thursday night. I think this could be the #1 grossing movie of the summer easily.)

Saw it earlier tonight, absolutely loved it! Was contemplating going to the showing right after it. I think they really captured the essence of the new guardians, and i only had a few minor nitpicks. See below.

1. Cosmo doesn't talk

2. Thanos could have had a deeper voice

3. no hinting at other cosmic characters

4. completely missed the nathan fillion cameo

5. howard the spooning duck

not a nitpick, and not really a spoiler, but i found it funny that after seeing the movie the biggest question on my mind was...what other tracks are on awesome mix vol 2??? lol

Didn't feel like it would be great for kids, but I could be wrong.

I see it last night and to be honest I loved it!

BUT

Without Rocket + Groot this movie was nothing in my opinion

Thanos had his 20seconds

And the after credits scene was disappointing!

All the characters are great. Rocket is great and Nebula is awesome and Ronan and Thanos are great. Weakest character was The Collector. Loved Yondu. The references to some of the more far-out concepts in the comics is really cool. A lot of big laughs, good dialogue and a funny movie. But the way they all came together and their ultimate goal was boring as Hell; you've seen it a million times and an 11-year old could have written it. Lazy, dumb plot.

I really loved it. Definitely seeing it again on Monday with friends who haven't experienced the joy yet.

It's amazing how good a blockbuster can be when the creators take the time to make you actually care about the characters. Every big action scene had a purpose and revealed a little more about who these people(cyborg animals, trees) were, rather than just consisting of loud explosions to pass the time or use in the trailer.

Just got back myself. Saw it with the wife and our three kids (ages 7, 10, 15). Big thumbs up from all of us. My wife (who is NOT into comics or sci fi) was pleasantly surprised with it. Very funny. Will definitely see it again!

I am 0-2.

Yesterday, AMC Theaters listed a Wednesday at midnight showing... friend gets me to jump in the car to go and there is no one at the theater.

Tonight, stops by to pick me up. We try again. Clearly says on the website and the app that it was playing. Security is locking up (mind you this is a different theater and other groups of people are outside to catch a showing) They explain that there is an error in the listing. They didn't even give us free tix or anything. :(

Maybe tomorrow.

IMAX 3D here. That film had WIN all over it! It's the modern day Star Wars for this generation. :applause:

Did anyone else think about the Star Wars archetypes?

C3P0/R2D2 -- Groot and Rocket Racoon. One guy has to translate the others gibberish. Another one is constantly bickering/whining.

Gamora-- Princess Leia with Dark Father. Vader/Thanos

Quill - Skywalker

Drax -Han/Chewbaccca

Maybe not exactly, but very archetypal.

Pods were Tie Fighters/X-wings with a little MF vs Death Star.

Death Star and ceremony - Zandar against Ronan and heroic ending.

Also, the Celestial appearance/cameo was sweet.

Thanos was in some sense, powerful enough to slap around Ronan (which is something); but I didn't get much sense of awe from the visual portrayal.

P.S. I had the same thought as earlier poster about mom/moondragon. Were those characters at the middle (near Celestial scene) Watchers or any recognizable race?

Loved the music, being a bronze guy.

Very entertaining. And for once, I under expected and they over delivered (ok, Cap 2 made it twice).

I think that has to be the first film version of a comic that is vastly superior to the comic material. hm