• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

Could someone try to explain the rational behind IM 2 & especially 3 success??

Was GOG not kid friendly and IM2,3 were or something?

I truly am baffled by it.

Where are all those viewers from IM3? Why didn't they return for CAP2/GOG?

Or was IM3 so bad it scared off potential viewers of GOG/CA2?

YAHOO.COM: How Iron Man 3 made a billion dollars

I think two of the biggest contributors are an established franchise and the international box office success for this movie. Marvel especially filmed scenes in China just to feel out how it would go over in that market.

China: $121,200,000

The strategy paid off.

That doesn't really explain away the domestic premium though.

Also, Cap had just as much exposure. My theory then is that Cap 1 wasn't all that good (at least to me and possibly the general population), so it took strong word of mouth to bring back viewers. While GOG was unknown. In that case, established franchise is such a big factor; they should have had IM make a cameo in GOG so it would double revenue. lol Would have tied in perfectly with IM55.

I thought the first Cap movie was awesome! 2nd one even better. To each their own though.

I thought the first Cap movie was awesome! 2nd one even better. To each their own though.

I thought Cap1 had the potential of being awesome. Especially how it did a good job of making you feel like it was a solid period piece, taking you back in time to a very interesting part of world history.

But then it kind of lost its way with some of the mid-movie material involving Cap in some okay scenes. Though I know they were trying to demonstrate he wasn't being effectively used even with his new powers.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Cap2 from all the solid feedback and box office results.

I think two of the biggest contributors are an established franchise and the international box office success for this movie. Marvel especially filmed scenes in China just to feel out how it would go over in that market.

The strategy paid off.

Also, Cap had just as much exposure. My theory then is that Cap 1 wasn't all that good (at least to me and possibly the general population), so it took strong word of mouth to bring back viewers. While GOG was unknown. In that case, established franchise is such a big factor; they should have had IM make a cameo in GOG so it would double revenue. lol Would have tied in perfectly with IM55.

I watched the first Cap movie again last night and I for me it is one of the best Marvel movies IMHO. Maybe it's because I am a bit more fond of the source material than most. I thought this movie was well received at the time? (shrug)

The strategy paid off.

I agree.

Most of my colleagues at CMU and Pitt in my department (Math bio, applied) are from Overseas and from what they say, Guardians was lost in translation, and very difficult for International audiences to get behind but they loved Cap 2 and X-men.

Many of Guardians one liners and punch lines were strictly 'murican' . Unfortunately MOST of the world finds such humor immature and naive, but I EAT IT UP!!!

Most of my colleagues at CMU and Pitt in my department (Math bio, applied) are from Overseas and from what they say, Guardians was lost in translation, and very difficult for International audiences to get behind but they loved Cap 2 and X-men.

Many of Guardians one liners and punch lines were strictly 'murican' . Unfortunately MOST of the world finds such humor immature and naive, but I EAT IT UP!!!

keep posting your incorrect information in as many threads as you feel is necessary

Without any major new openings, it was a quiet weekend for Guardians of the Galaxy. The Marvel hit added $11.5 million for a new total of $291.6 million. It has now earned more worldwide ($586 million) than the first Iron Man, and still has Japan, China and Italy on the way. Based on comparable Summer 2014 titles, Guardians will almost certainly take in over $100 million from those three markets, which will push its worldwide total past $700 million.

keep posting your incorrect information in as many threads as you feel is necessary

Without any major new openings, it was a quiet weekend for Guardians of the Galaxy. The Marvel hit added $11.5 million for a new total of $291.6 million. It has now earned more worldwide ($586 million) than the first Iron Man, and still has Japan, China and Italy on the way. Based on comparable Summer 2014 titles, Guardians will almost certainly take in over $100 million from those three markets, which will push its worldwide total past $700 million.

You have to account for currency inflation over time.

Iron Man (2008):

a. Domestic: $318.4 MM in 2008; $352.4 MM in 2014.

b. Worldwide: $585.2 MM in 2008; $647.5 MM in 2014.

The Dark Knight (2008):

a. Domestic: $534.9 MM in 2008; $591.9 MM in 2014.

b. Worldwide: $1,004.6 MM in 2008; $1,111.6 MM in 2014.

The Avengers (2012):

a. Domestic: $623.4 MM in 2012; $646.9 MM in 2014.

b. Worldwide: $1,518.6 MM in 2012: $1,575.8 in 2014.

Once GotG breaks $352.4 MM domestically, then it will have beaten Iron Man's record.

I saw that. I wonder if it is something in-the-works, and he just can't talk about it yet.

Then the question would be what story would help form the -script? Or, would it follow up on the Marvel 'All Hail To The King' one-shot with Ben Kingsley?

August 8, 2014: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

August 15, 2014: The Expendables 3

August 22, 2014: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

August 29, 2014: The November Man

September 12, 2014: Dolphin Tale 2

September 12, 2014: No Good Deed (starring Idris Elba)

September 12, 2014: Tusk (Kevin Smith horror-comedy)

September 19, 2014: The Maze Runner (based on a Sci-Fi book trilogy)

September 19, 2014: This is Where I Leave You (comedy)

September 26, 2014: The Boxtrolls

September 26, 2014: The Equalizer

October 3, 2014: Gone Girl

October 10, 2014: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

October 10, 2014: The Judge (Robert Downey JR movie)

October 17, 2014: Dracula Untold

October 17, 2014: Fury (Brad Pitt WW II tank warfare film)

November 7, 2014: Interstellar

November 7, 2014: Big Hero 6

November 14, 2014: Dumb and Dumber To

November 21, 2014: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1

December 19, 2014: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

December 19, 2014: Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb

December 19, 2014: Annie (2014)

From what Cinema Blend has to say about this upcoming weekend, I have a feeling GotG may have another uncontested weekend.

This Rotten Week: Predicting No Good Deed and Dolphin Tale 2 Reviews

Although I am not sure about 'Tusk' yet.

Fb2xhvZ.png

eqlCf3u.png

WcZMA8v.png

Japan's box office hits this weekend. So the international numbers should take a jump up.

• Greece (4 September 2014)
  • Bangladesh (5 September 2014)
  • Cyprus (5 September 2014)
  • Japan (13 September 2014)
  • China (10 October 2014)
  • Switzerland (22 October 2014) - Italian speaking region
  • Italy (22 October 2014)

IMDb: Guardians of the Galaxy full release schedule

I saw that. I wonder if it is something in-the-works, and he just can't talk about it yet.

Then the question would be what story would help form the -script? Or, would it follow up on the Marvel 'All Hail To The King' one-shot with Ben Kingsley?

You ever see the Planet Hulk animated movie?

They had a intro to the movie with the illuminati banishing the Hulk off Earth. You do not need Tony Stark to appear in that movie. All you need is the Iron Man armor and voice it by the guy from Heroes who usually handles the voice chores anyway.

Finally saw this movie yesterday. I was going to wait until it came out on the movie channel but seeing as it was rated so highly on R.Tomatoes and ppl here love it I decided to see it.

It was pretty much what I figured from the 2 minute trailer when it was first advertised. I knew that I would like it, but not love it. It reminded me of Avengers. A lot of nice characters and interaction but low on storyline. Overall 6.5 or 7 out of 10. I would have preferred it to stay as thoughtful as the first few mins of the movie.

I thought the action really required you to suspend disbelief of reality, even for a cosmic movie, because you wanted so badly for the character to prevail.

A bounty hunter with an arrow is better than 20 soldiers with heavy armor and weaponry apparently. High pulsed cannons are not enough to take out anyone. Marauders can invade a planet at anytime, which makes you wonder how you can trust the galactic currency. 4 billion or 40,000 (digital) units of anything means nothing without the law to prevent panic.

CA 2 was the best comic book movie this summer.

This is the best thing I've read on the Boards in weeks. :applause:

Marauders can invade a planet at anytime, which makes you wonder how you can trust the galactic currency. 4 billion or 40,000 (digital) units of anything means nothing without the law to prevent panic.

Finally saw this movie yesterday. I was going to wait until it came out on the movie channel but seeing as it was rated so highly on R.Tomatoes and ppl here love it I decided to see it.

It was pretty much what I figured from the 2 minute trailer when it was first advertised. I knew that I would like it, but not love it. It reminded me of Avengers. A lot of nice characters and interaction but low on storyline. Overall 6.5 or 7 out of 10. I would have preferred it to stay as thoughtful as the first few mins of the movie.

I thought the action really required you to suspend disbelief of reality, even for a cosmic movie, because you wanted so badly for the character to prevail.

A bounty hunter with an arrow is better than 20 soldiers with heavy armor and weaponry apparently. High pulsed cannons are not enough to take out anyone. Marauders can invade a planet at anytime, which makes you wonder how you can trust the galactic currency. 4 billion or 40,000 (digital) units of anything means nothing without the law to prevent panic.

CA 2 was the best comic book movie this summer.

Agree. I gave Got 7 out of 10 as well and Cap 2 was by far the best film.

I'd wager that Iron Man isn't done with the Ten Rings story arc yet - they've done a ton of setup over three movies that could very well come to climax in an Iron Man 4 with a fullout magic battle with the Mandarin - this could also very well be the way they introduce Doctor Strange.

Chris Pratt To Host Season Premiere Of Saturday Night Live

---------------------

You can expect to see some kind of Guardians of the Galaxy themed skit on the premier episode of Saturday Night Live’s 40th season, that’s because the Star-Lord himself, Chris Pratt, is going to host. Along with the Parks & Recreation star, the musical guest will be Ariana Grande.

---------------------

from Box Office Mojo

Guardians of the Galaxy

Forecast: $180 million

Actual: $320 million (est.)

Difference: 78%

Grade: F

With obscure characters and an August release date, we expected this to perform similarly to Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger. Boy, were we wrong.