• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

Guardians_zps96f3fe24.jpg

Is this write-up on this an official Marvel release?

If it is, then Marvel will be calling RR just Rocket, dropping the Raccoon from his name.

They assume the audience is intelligent enough to pick the raccoon out of the crowd without needing to be reminded of his species every few minutes.

Assuming this is an official write up, that's a name change. That's significant.

I think it's written that way for clarification. "Rocket, a gun-toting raccoon" would be the proper way to say that to avoid redundancy.

Any claim that they are changing his name as a result of this sentence would be speculation at best.

Check out the cast information, "Bradley Cooper as the voice of Rocket". That seems more definitive than the other reference, no?

I still laugh at those that criticized the X-Men suits when the first movie was released. The movie costumes made more sense than the comic book versions.

Laugh all you want, because I will never believe that black, biker leather was a better idea.

If it is, then Marvel will be calling RR just Rocket, dropping the Raccoon from his name.

They have to. Rocket Raccoon is pretty silly for the name of a character.

I can see Rocket Raccoon on the products with that character, but I doubt it will be uttered in the movie, unless its used as a one time joke. "Rocket? Rocket Raccoon?" Hollywood has distance itself from many of the names we are familiar with. Green Arrow is called The Hood on the WB Arrow (notice it's not WB Green Arrow) TV series.

I'm surprised that so many fans just let that stuff slide.

They are trying to make these characters palatable to as large an audience as possible. I'm okay with these small, superficial changes. It's wholesale changes (i.e. Mandarin in Iron Man 3) to characters that I'm not too keen on.

The character is a schlock character. Is calling a talking Raccoon "Rocket" as opposed to Rocket Raccoon going to make him any less silly?

I think just calling the character Rocket is easier for the actors to utter than Rocket Raccoon, yes. It is a step in the right direction IMHO.

I still laugh at those that criticized the X-Men suits when the first movie was released. The movie costumes made more sense than the comic book versions.

Laugh all you want, because I will never believe that black, biker leather was a better idea.

Bah. The redesigned and movie inspired Morrison/Quitely uniforms were great.

I can see Rocket Raccoon on the products with that character, but I doubt it will be uttered in the movie, unless its used as a one time joke. "Rocket? Rocket Raccoon?" Hollywood has distance itself from many of the names we are familiar with. Green Arrow is called The Hood on the WB Arrow (notice it's not WB Green Arrow) TV series.

giggle.gif

-slym

They are trying to make these characters palatable to as large an audience as possible. I'm okay with these small, superficial changes. It's wholesale changes (i.e. Mandarin in Iron Man 3) to characters that I'm not too keen on.

The character is a schlock character. Is calling a talking Raccoon "Rocket" as opposed to Rocket Raccoon going to make him any less silly?

I think just calling the character Rocket is easier for the actors to utter than Rocket Raccoon, yes. It is a step in the right direction IMHO.

If the characters name was Rocket Raccoon and the other characters called him Rocket like a nickname, I could understand that. But jumping through hoops to say it will make it more palatable for the general audience just makes my sillyometer burst.

AY! You looking for a 12 page argument and eventual thread lock on the matter?!?!?!

Kidding - to each their own.

I am still laughing though.

I think they picked a great actor to voice RR. He's got a great sense of humor and pretty good timing. Him promoting the movie won't hurt either.

I grudgingly like Brad Cooper. I will say, he earned my like, at least.

So, no one is saying it, so that means IDK what exactly... but this "release statement" doesn't say whom it is that is voicing the character of Groot. I thought Vin Diesel had this one locked already.

???

-slym

Instead of leather spandex?

AY! You looking for a 12 page argument and eventual thread lock on the matter?!?!?!

Kidding - to each their own.

I am still laughing though.

It makes you laugh, it makes me sad. (shrug)

If the characters name was Rocket Raccoon and the other characters called him Rocket like a nickname, I could understand that. But jumping through hoops to say it will make it more palatable for the general audience just makes my sillyometer burst.

OMG! You WERE serious! :roflmao:

:baiting:

:roflmao:

Try being a true fan of something someday and maybe you'd understand. doh!

I don't mind the "Rocket" name.

I think the general public is smart enough to put the 2 names together.

But, but comic collectors will be up in arms.

funny-angry-baby.jpg

Comic collectors need to chill out.

I think you mean chillax.

Try being a true fan of something someday and maybe you'd understand. doh!

A 'true fan' you say. hm