• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

In case you haven't seen the new crew.... :whistle:

guardiansofthegalaxy-firstlook-lineup-xlarge.jpg

Gamora and Rocket Raccoon look pretty good. Star-Lord looks lame.

If that is the CGI working model for Rocket Raccoon that is actually pretty impressive and better than I expected. Drax looks like... Drax I guess. They have changed Drax so many times in terms of design and mass that I guess Batista is a decent fit.

I am still undecided about Groot. He should be bigger but I do not know if that would work on screen.

Groot will be able to change size at will - bet on it

This is the Star-Lord I remember.

001_Star_Lord_Special_Edition_zpse806abcd.png

DG

I'm sure the producers thought the costume would look silly...and it might compared to the rest of the designs ( mostly lame, though Gamora looks pretty good). But they had no problem with a talking raccoon, so I dunno (shrug)

This movie is going to do just fine... ;)

Can't wait !

xxx ooo

Rupp

pizapcom1032696210779249671388705148825_zps4dde7fbd.jpg

Def Leppard/Bulletboys tribute meme! :headbang:

Pour some sugar on me Balls !

xxx ooo

Smooth Up Rupp

lol

If you say that like a pirate, it takes on an entirely new meaning!

hm

In case you haven't seen the new crew.... :whistle:

guardiansofthegalaxy-firstlook-lineup-xlarge.jpg

I like it!

:applause:

A green woman! Kirk will hit it!

Kirk hits anything with a *spoon*...

Surprised he does not have space herpes

I am guessing Star Lord is the ginger stoner-looking dude? And Drax is the red/green guy?

I remember Gamora & Drax from the Infinity mini-series days, and while Gamora is instantly recognizable, if it isn't a big green guy in a purple cape, I am only guessing at Drax. I obviously have no idea who Star Lord is, nor Groot.

Correct on the two guesses.

By the way, my kids just saw Rocket Racoon in the big photo and went nuts already to see him. From that small sample, I can tell who the star of the movie will be.

lol

I am guessing we won't hear any foul language from RR in this movie, as I agree - he alone will draw kids to want to see this movie.

-slym

I predict a US gross north of $250K. Huge hit.

Ill take the under

hm Wanna bet $20 on it?

$250,000? No bet

it grossing more than $250,000,000 and I have the under? You have a bet, but we have to agree on a time frame.

Yeah, I meant $250,000,000. :facepalm:

Timeframe=entire theatrical run up until DVD release. Does not include DVD sales.

I'll take the over.

I predict a US gross north of $250K. Huge hit.

Ill take the under

hm Wanna bet $20 on it?

$250,000? No bet

it grossing more than $250,000,000 and I have the under? You have a bet, but we have to agree on a time frame.

Yeah, I meant $250,000,000. :facepalm:

Timeframe=DVD release.

I'll take the over.

So, you are saying the movie will gross better than $250,000,000 (domestically) when you consider the movie run and the DVD release? That seems like a safe bet.

I doubt this movie will bomb, but somewhere in the first Thor or even X-Men range seems plausible.

Hopefully, they stick to a budget and are not thinking they have a hit. If a hit occurs, great, but if not, a decent take is sufficient to keeping the machine rolling. DC needs to start thinking this way. I think they are over thinking again with what I'm hearing about Batman versus Superman. :(

It's just too bad we are not getting my Guardians of the Galaxy which was the 1990s roster or earlier. I honestly have never read a comic with Groot or Rocket Raccoon and only have a passing familiarity with Starlord from the magazines. Gamora and Drax I remember from the whole Starlin Infinity Gem saga. I haven't been a Marvel reader for over 15 years now, so Guardians is only mildly interesting to me, unlike the Avengers and their solo titles, where I am familiar with the characters.

I think it will gross better domestically than both Thors, the first Cap & the Hulk movie. Right behind the Iron Man movies and The Avengers. I obviously think it will be very big.

I think it will gross better domestically than both Thors, the first Cap & the Hulk movie. Right behind the Iron Man movies and The Avengers. I obviously think it will be very big.

I'm having a hard time seeing this moving make $250 domestically. Green Lantern wasn't nearly as bad as people claim (I just watched it again this past week) and had many of the elements we'll see in a Guardians movie and it only made $117 million. The Star Trek sequel only made $230 million this year. The first Thor made $181 million. Iron Man had good buzz and cleared $320, but it also had RDJ. I'm not seeing $250 for Guardians due to the lack of the star power and since it is outerspace based. Very few outerspace based movies (outside of Star Wars) are able to achieve big grosses. Many have tried and always come up short.

I hope you are right though. More successes means eventually a movie based on a Marvel property I care about will be made. A success to me will be Captain America ($177 million) and Thor ($181 million) numbers.

I'm having a hard time seeing this moving make $250 domestically. Green Lantern wasn't nearly as bad as people claim (I just watched it again this past week) and had many of the elements we'll see in a Guardians movie and it only made $117 million. The Star Trek sequel only made $230 million this year. The first Thor made $181 million. Iron Man had good buzz and cleared $320, but it also had RDJ. I'm not seeing $250 for Guardians due to the lack of the star power and since it is outerspace based. Very few outerspace based movies (outside of Star Wars) are able to achieve big grosses. Many have tried and always come up short.

I hope you are right though. More successes means eventually a movie based on a Marvel property I care about will be made. A success to me will be Captain America ($177 million) and Thor ($181 million) numbers.

Despite what my initial $250K figure would indicate, I do regularly follow movies grosses. The $250M is really high, I know. I think the big difference between the previous sub $250M Marvel movies and GotG will be the successful marketing of Rocket Raccoon that draws in the younger audiences by the droves. I trust in Disney to market a talking animal character even if it wields firearms. There's that and Marvel movie grosses have been trending steadily upwards.

Iron Man is the exception, the first one and the sequel nearly grossed even at the box office. However, the third one took in significantly more, and it was arguably the most poorly received installment. Something that bodes well for the GotG movie as I'm not at all sold on the director.

I think people will really like Chris Pratt. I find him hilarious in Parks & Recreation. He certainly fills the unknown quantity in this blockbuster, and although it's not a perfect example, RDJ was hardly a draw when the first Iron Man came out. My point is that neither actor at those times would be expected to anchor a blockbuster movie.

A cool thing to consider is that if the first GotG movie is a success, it's likely we will see additional members such as the characters featured in the 70's-90's era teams. Nova would also be a logical choice if he isn't saved for his own movie.