• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Onsite grading cut off yesterday?

327 posts in this topic

Many know my booth was directly beside CGC. This entire afternoon, there were about 6 people in the booth doing absolutely nothing. Are you telling me that they couldn't have had a couple of those people driving an extra trip back and forth to Sarasota????? Its 122 miles. Lets see 50 dollars or so in gas, against taking another 1700 books or so at on site grading prices? Really?

I stated the same to Harshen in an email using slightly different words.

Additional cost to drive back and forth a few times = a few $100 tops.

Additional revenue to grade and deliver more books = a few $1000.

I suppose they have their reasons.

I agree with the sentiment but they are likely restricted when it comes to type of conveyance and drivers because of insurance.

Louise, being in the insurance industry, said exactly the same thing.

They do have a security guard come to assist with the drop off/pick up.

I suppose you don't want big books being handled by Joe's Pizza service.

lol

I agree with the sentiment but they are likely restricted when it comes to type of conveyance and drivers because of insurance.

lol

I think Mr. Bababooey meant personnel being insured in the event of an accident due to the extra driving.

lol

Really? I'd imagine if they had a security guard at the show he could oversee several deliveries out. Many, in fact. I'd refer back to Dale's post - just seems like with this proximity, the CGC could handle more than this.

lol

I think Mr. Bababooey meant personnel being insured in the event of an accident due to the extra driving.

Still a minimal amount of cost compared to lost revenue. Even if it is just 1 truck, and 1 driver. He could drive back and forth basically every 3 hours. Drive books, drop books, pick up books, wash, rinse repeat. 3 trips a day in 9 hours. 2 should be absolutely no problem.

lol

Actually both but since I was responding to Dale who was making more of a "just do it" assessment - I don't think most of us would want to submit some expensive books and see some cutie in a CGC shirt carry a box & throw it in the trunk of her Jetta.

lol

Still a minimal amount of cost compared to lost revenue. Even if it is just 1 truck, and 1 driver. He could drive back and forth basically every 3 hours. Drive books, drop books, pick up books, wash, rinse repeat. 3 trips a day in 9 hours. 2 should be absolutely no problem.

Oh, I totally agree if it makes total business sense. Turning submitters away so quickly could lead to future show concerns. Better to feed as much of the demand as you can that is reasonable. Especially being so close to the mother ship.

Should have sent in books early through me.

This is true. I should have done that and didn't.

Of course, I never thought they would stop taking books before I got there on Friday.

If I wasn't getting there until Sat I would have sent them to you.

Oh well, live and learn.

I know I understand nothing about comic collecting, and even less about running a business, but haven't they ever thought about expanding their business?

I think this is probably much more difficult than it seems because of lack of available people with the necessary qualifications.

Think about it: how many people do you know who are expert-level graders and have a deep knowledge of restoration, pedigrees, etc., AND (perhaps more importantly) who would be willing to give up their collecting activities and/or existing comic-related business to relocate and grade full time?

A few people on this board would have the necessary level of knowledge, certainly... but how many of them would be willing to give up actively collecting or dealing? (and be willing to give up their current profession, and be able to relocate)

There's likely just a very limited pool of candidates who meet all these qualifications.

Yes, that's talking about the grading and resto check of the business. And you are right about the limited pool of qualified and willing applicants.

What about the backlog of encapsulation? That's just man power and machines.

Yes, that's talking about the grading and resto check of the business. And you are right about the limited pool of qualified and willing applicants.

It all sounds like terribly boring factory chit to me. I can hardly stand grading, scanning and selling my dupes.

It all sounds like terribly boring factory chit to me. I can hardly stand grading, scanning and selling my dupes.

:whatev:

Seriously - I don't know what the breakdown in tasks are, but I just can't imagine micro-picking comics all day, 5-6 days a week. It just sounds terrible. Put the book in the encapsulator, or it gets the hose again.

Seriously - I don't know what the breakdown in tasks are, but I just can't imagine micro-picking comics all day, 5-6 days a week. It just sounds terrible. Put the book in the encapsulator, or it gets the hose again.
That's why they can't keep graders. Hours upon hours of grading, for months/years on end. Gotta admit, it gets tedious.

If actual encapsulation is the constraining factor, I have to believe they would have solved that by now. (shrug)

There would certainly be obvious logistical reasons beyond turnaround time to keep the grading-to-encapsulation gap as short as possible (on the face of it, you wouldn't want to have to store a large quantity of graded but not slabbed comics, that's just asking for problems, I would think)

I'm glad to see the first female grader, it surprises me that they have not taken the opportunity to hire and train more females. A decade plus ago when I worked in manufaturing, we hired and trained people from all walks of life to build very tiny electronic parts. We mostly hired women because it was detailed work with some jobs looking through a microscope.

The reason they have multiple people grade each book is to prevent one grader from missing something. So its not like they expect perfection 100% from each grader.

I know of a warehouse dealer who has a female grader who has worked for him for over 25 years, I know another dealer who's wife grades books for him all the time.

Sure your not going to hire someone off the street who can identify pedigree books, but that is a very small minority of what is involved in the day to day grading.

Get the wonderlic tests out and hire some women.