• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Onsite grading cut off yesterday?

327 posts in this topic

I walked right in on Thursday, butted right in front of some pot belly, stinky, skullet havin', wife beater wearin' wanna be BSDs and submitted my books . :sumo:

Did you go forward or backward in time to cut in front of yourself? :shrug:

To be fair Mike is in great shape.

Don't you see his Crossfit Facebook pictures. :o

Not as good as me, but he is doing well. :whistle:

:wishluck:

3,800 books total with nearly half on-site grading - no wonder they had to close it down early.

Harshen, I'd suggest an advisement about the number of books CGC is willing to do before a cut off to help avoid any future problems. Thanks for clarifying how many books you and your staff took in, hopefully those numbers give folks some idea of what CGC has to deal with.

I’d like to take this opportunity to clarify why we cut off on-site submissions at MegaCon - we did not cut off submissions because we did not have enough employees or because we didn’t have enough drivers going back and forth. It’s easy to sit back and stare at the CGC booth and come up with a million reasons regarding what we should have and what we should not have done. When it comes down to it, we pretty much did the same number of books at MegaCon as we do in Chicago and Philly. In reality though, we did more. Normally in Chicago and Philly we can start working on Wednesday …but since this show started setup on Thursday afternoon and opened its doors to the public on Friday at noon….our time is cut dramatically. Whether we had drivers going back and forth doesn’t solve the problem of receiving, verifying, barcoding, grading, encapsulating and QC. If this business was run as an automated assembly line - where the books get put on a conveyer belt and go through a machine that grades and then automatically encapsulates the books….sure, sky’s the limit on the number of books we can do. But as you know, this is not the case. Our goal is to attain the number of books we know we can grade and get them back to our customers in the allotted time. We worked from 12-14 hours per day to make sure we had all the books that were submitted completed and back to the show.

Business decisions regarding staffing for a show and expectations for submissions are partly based on historical results. When a surge in submissions results in CGC exceeding what we have done historically at a show, CGC has to stop taking on-site submissions and "manage" customer expectations. The impression made in the above thread is that CGC was sitting around doing nothing and the booth staff could have helped in some fashion for us to do more books. That is not the case as we continued taking submissions letting customers know these would have to be regular submissions. The impression that on-site personnel are sitting around doing nothing is really not true based on the number of submissions processed this weekend. We are extremely proud of our booth staff who took in over 1,800 on-site submissions as well as 2,000 regular submissions. It would NOT be a smart business decision on our part if we just continued to take on-site submissions knowing that we would not be able to have them done by Sunday. We have been doing on-site grading for years and we know what we are capable of completing by Sunday. We really do wish we could have accommodated everyone; especially our customers who could only get to the show late on Friday or Saturday. This is something we will analyze for next year’s show - to see if there is anything we can do to accommodate those individuals. I do not get on the boards very often but I am always available if anyone would like to touch base with me personally. You can always email me at hpatel@collectiblesgroup.com

They've had my books 4 months already and said don't expect them for at least another month. 5-6 months to grade a half dozen comics. Wouldn't you want any way to make the process a little faster?

IMHO, it's a reflection of how desperate people are to get books graded quickly.

I walked right in on Thursday, butted right in front of some pot belly, stinky, skullet havin', wife beater wearin' wanna be BSDs and submitted my books . :sumo:

Hey Dbag...Jessica Alba and Scarlett Johannsen both have Mike on speed dial and he refuses to take their calls because he's never been one for slumming it.

Gotta love Internet tough guys, who make stupid jokes.

Jim

Hey Dbag...Jessica Alba and Scarlett Johannsen both have Mike on speed dial and he refuses to take their calls because he's never been one for slumming it.

Gotta love Internet tough guys, who make stupid jokes.

Jim

apparently, you spend a lot of time loving yourself :luhv: