• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM AF15 raw inherited

21 posts in this topic

My Aunt just inherited this along with a box of other oldies including ASM1 and Hulk 1. I'm helping them with the process of preservation, storage, appraisal, and insuring. I've pointed them here but they're not as fanatical about the hobby as I am but definitely interested in doing what's best for keeping these for the long term. I know my uncle has pretty much taken up the reigns on this and has already gathered a bunch of info from me and from the boards here. He's considering getting it slabbed via CGC but likely with the appointment service. I've already noted a personal grade. However, before going further we'd like some peer review and opinions about the grade and to help with the appraisal and insuring process. Below are photos of the front and back cover. Initial photos made these look great but these reveal more flaws now. It think the best part of this book is the incredible lack of marvel chipping on the right FC edge. For now please give 2 different grades based on what you can see and the following 2 assumptions:

Grade 1:

1. assume the FC is loose but both staples are still attached to the FC and all the way through to the centerfold, no pieces missing from interior

Grade 2:

2. Assume both staples detached from FC but both are attached through to the centerfold, no pieces missing from interior.

My uncle sent me these photos, he lives on the other side of the country so I have not had physical access to the book. I emailed him asking about the staples and centerfold so will hopefully have updates soon. Also, I have no reason to believe this book has had any restoration work done on it. I'm told that my Aunt's brother is the original owner or acquired it back in the 60's. However, if you spot anything that seems out of the ordinary or suspicious please make note of it. I welcome any other advice or recommendations you may have about the care, preservation, and storage of this issue.

Thank you!

AF15 FC

frontsidespiderman_zps248da87c.jpg

AF15 BC

backsidespiderman_zpsd2000ad4.jpg

2/1.5 and 1.0.

Would a press help this?

And the lack of chipping is great. Not a bad looking book at all!

:roflmao: You young bucks want to press everything,don't you. lol

lol! Yeah I can't help but think about the current ongoing Silver Age and Comics General thread about Spine Relocation controversy and look at this book and think, hmm, now here's a great candidate. I wonder how much of a bump it would have gotten to make the spine damage disappear in the apex taking it from a 2.0 avg according to what most on here are stating to a gift graded 9.2 with fanned pages and miswrap. Seriously, the thought briefly crossed my mind but, no I'm actually advising him against ANY form of "optimization" or restoration until a final word from CGC comes down especially since they are planning on keeping it and not looking to sell it. I'd rather they left it VIRGIN unless market pressure dictates they do otherwise if and when they ever want to sell.

2/1.5 and 1.0.

Would a press help this?

And the lack of chipping is great. Not a bad looking book at all!

:roflmao: You young bucks want to press everything,don't you. lol

Well if you are trying to maximize your money for a book wouldn't it make the most sense? I'm not sure how I feel about it. I had one book pressed in my time- it bumped from a 9.0 to a 9.2. I'm fine with it.

Either way that is a great copy. I only asked out of curiosity. If you are keeping it for your personal collection than I wouldn't worry about a press.

And as for the staple and centerfold condition I'll have to wait another couple of days to know for sure.

He's hesitant to even touch it or open the pages any more than he has to since he's already put the book back into its bag with board. He said he'd take a look when the comic supplies I sent him arrive in a couple of days to limit the amount of handling since he'll be transferring it from the current out dated bag/board.

I do appreciate all the grade responses. I have to say I'm quite surprised at the low numbers. Tough crowd. Not that I'm doubting your opinion but if you guys graded for CGC, I'm sure we'd see more tighter grading than we're used to and definitely less 9.8's+. I've shopped for many AF 15 1.5's and 1.8's and most are missing large pieces out of them. Many in 2.5 and below are missing some piece somewhere. This one isn't. I have an AF15 CGC 3.0 Universal (see below) that I think looks worse than this guy. I thought for sure some of you would have graded my uncle's above a 3.0. My personal grade based on the comparison with my AF 15 3.0 was going to be 4.5 primarily due to the lack of chipping, fewer large color breaking creases, lack of writing on the FC that mine has, and overall appeal. Boy was I way off. I'll probably have to tighten my grading standards a bit more. I'd still say CGC shouldn't give it less than a 3.5 to be consistent but then again, the C's in CGC don't stand for "consistent". Would you say the spine stress and the stains on my uncle's really pull it down below mine or are there other factors?

My own AF 15 Universal CGC 3.0 graded in 2012

AF153_0CR-OWFC_zps7536528b.jpg

I thought my 2.5 cover attached/1.8 detached was going to be on the tight side myself till I saw some 1.5's and 1.0's. No way, no how is it a 1.0 IMO :insane:

I think you're right. The low to high on this book should be 1.8-2.5.

I do appreciate all the grade responses. I have to say I'm quite surprised at the low numbers. Tough crowd. Not that I'm doubting your opinion but if you guys graded for CGC, I'm sure we'd see more tighter grading than we're used to and definitely less 9.8's+. I've shopped for many AF 15 1.5's and 1.8's and most are missing large pieces out of them. Many in 2.5 and below are missing some piece somewhere. This one isn't. I have an AF15 CGC 3.0 Universal (see below) that I think looks worse than this guy. I thought for sure some of you would have graded my uncle's above a 3.0. My personal grade based on the comparison with my AF 15 3.0 was going to be 4.5 primarily due to the lack of chipping, fewer large color breaking creases, lack of writing on the FC that mine has, and overall appeal. Boy was I way off. I'll probably have to tighten my grading standards a bit more. I'd still say CGC shouldn't give it less than a 3.5 to be consistent but then again, the C's in CGC don't stand for "consistent". Would you say the spine stress and the stains on my uncle's really pull it down below mine or are there other factors?

My own AF 15 Universal CGC 3.0 graded in 2012

AF153_0CR-OWFC_zps7536528b.jpg

The main flaws with your AF 15 are the Marvel chipping and the name written on the cover, neither of which CGC really deducts much for in the lower grades. You're Uncle's copy has far more creasing and spine wear. If the staples are secure and no spine splits I could see his copy getting a 3.0 on a particularly loose day at CGC, but no way is it a 4.5

I do appreciate all the grade responses. I have to say I'm quite surprised at the low numbers. Tough crowd. Not that I'm doubting your opinion but if you guys graded for CGC, I'm sure we'd see more tighter grading than we're used to and definitely less 9.8's+. ...[abridged]...Would you say the spine stress and the stains on my uncle's really pull it down below mine or are there other factors?

The main flaws with your AF 15 are the Marvel chipping and the name written on the cover, neither of which CGC really deducts much for in the lower grades. You're Uncle's copy has far more creasing and spine wear. If the staples are secure and no spine splits I could see his copy getting a 3.0 on a particularly loose day at CGC, but no way is it a 4.5

:news:

Resurrecting this thread since my Uncle just emailed me and told me he finally got his book back from being graded. No the CGC TAT's weren't that bad, he just waited until he could attend a con where CGC was accepting submissions.

I figured I'd give you guys the courtesy of a grade validation or "what the hell was CGC thinking" for your efforts. The consensus was between a 2.0 and 2.5 on here which I thought was harsh but my original thoughts were way too high as well which I've definitely learned from and now that I look at it, I would have tended to agree with you guys more now.

And the board grader who was the closest to CGC's was....

rjpb with a 3.0! ^^ Congrats on being dead on! Not sure if they were just loose that day but it was con season so who knows. If I recall the cover was still fully attached as is the centerfold. He hasn't given me an answer on the PQ yet so I hope to follow up when I know more.

Here's the raw pics of his front and back again. I hope to get a pic of it in slab.

Do you agree CGC?

frontsidespiderman_zps248da87c.jpg

backsidespiderman_zpsd2000ad4.jpg