• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The time has come...

143 posts in this topic

Not every graded 9.8 gets 3x a raw copy.

And some get 5x

I was looking for a balance.

his point was that not all modern books are worth slabbing just because they are a potential 9.8 grade...

and I didn't say all modern books...For example... I slabbed a pp #9 and got 9.8... sold it for $250... you can buy them raw all day for $22-$25... also got a Todd graded at 9.8 and sold it for $100... Some dont do as well yes... I was just using the 3x figure as an example for hotter books...

Longtime collector, lurked here after discovering these boards this past Fall, and finally registered in 2013.

I can tell you that in six short months I have already formed a list of the "solid" sellers. It was easy to compile just by reading posts and B/S/T threads. There are around five Boardies I would purchase from if the book listed only stated the issue, number, and grade.

It is almost eerie how reputations can be conveyed in a message board forum.

Some sellers have the immediate respect of fellow collectors when they post in a thread, while also having the mutant power to make people repeatedly hit their refresh button to see what the next book listed will be.

I am very, very happy I discovered this community.

Good business practices go a long way in making my wallet lighter.

I can also tell you I have very limited grading experience of my own, but that is one of the reasons I frequent these boards on a daily basis. The apprentice attempting to learn from the masters...

Edit: And no worries about me trying to sell overgraded comics. I am a pack rat. haha

I've noticed this too, but I've been too distracted creating memes and seeing sadfan's animated face in my sleep to put it all together until you mentioned it.

I see a thread, from someone that haven't proven themselves to be an accurate grader, and the books don't have grades and they expect me to grade from a scan....I pass.

Of course, if it's someone who's proven themselves to me as an accurate grader they are the same guys that actually put grades on their books and they don't fail in their estimation.

If it's a modern book and they are selling it as an unread book it's the easiest grade in the world. It's somewhere between 9.0 and 9.8....or you can see it's ripped in half from the scan.

If a seller doesn't know enough about grading to be able to count a couple of spine ticks and assign a number they probably shouldn't be selling until they figure that basic first step out from the outset.

and I didn't say all modern books...For example... I slabbed a pp #9 and got 9.8... sold it for $250... you can buy them raw all day for $22-$25... also got a Todd graded at 9.8 and sold it for $100... Some dont do as well yes... I was just using the 3x figure as an example for hotter books...

Uh yeah you did:

I am always skeptical of buying raws, especially here because why would anyone sell solid 9.8s here rather than have them graded and get 3x the money or more.

You were questioning why a board user would bother selling raw books with 9.8 potential here when they could just get them slabbed and make a much bigger profit.

There are quite a few reasons why someone wouldn't bother slabbing every 9.8 they come across...

I have four of those Peter Panzerfaust #9 in 9.8

I have two subscribers who will be getting them for $35 each. The other two I will throw up here or eBay.

Even though the book is hot, I will not be trying to upcharge my customers... However... I will be keeping records of those serial numbers and if I see them flipped I will drop those customers like a ton of :tonofbricks:

I have two subscribers who will be getting them for $35 each. The other two I will throw up here or eBay.

Even though the book is hot, I will not be trying to upcharge my customers... However... I will be keeping records of those serial numbers and if I see them flipped I will drop those customers like a ton of :tonofbricks:

You did them a favor, keeping your word, keeping them in their books at a reasonable price. It's only fair they don't use you like an ATM.

Yes, the board taught me how to grade. I won't sell a book without a grade and I won't buy one either. Books without grades tells me that if I am not happy, I am screwed. I don't like being screwed. I've purchased close to $40,000 worth of books from board members in my time here and I have only returned one purchase. It was painless and the seller acknowledged that he missed something and overgraded the book. If he had not graded the books, he could easily have hid behind the scans (the defect was barely visible in the scans).

People who don't grade are green at best and scammers at worst and either way, I'd rather keep my hard earned scratch.

Spot on. I avoid threads with ungraded books. It tells me that they have something to hide or they're not confident in their grading.

If a seller isn't confident in his grading, please post some books in the grading forum and compare his grades to ours. It's a wonderful way to learn.

I dunno...all I can picture is me having a book with two tiny spine ticks, everything else great, call it out as a 9.8, then someone buys it, gets a grader who didn't get laid the night before, and it comes back a 9.6. Who's the individual_without_enough_empathy now? I am.

Let's be honest. We've ALL gotten that one book back from cgc with a lower grade than expected and thought WTF was the grader thinking?

That's why I won't sell raws here. I got flak for not selling my Sixth Gun #1 here and rather sold it on eBay but I wasn't about to try and put a grade on that book even though I could provide hi-res scans and state the tiny flaws it had, I'll never tell someone "this is a 9.8" because guess what? You're opinion doesn't mean mess. Its up to the grader, and only the grader. Just hope they're having a good day. Yes they have a set of standards I'm sure, but some of it is subjectivity.

Like I said before as did someone else here - we've all seen a book come back with a grade that makes us say "WTF"?

I dunno...all I can picture is me having a book with two tiny spine ticks, everything else great, call it out as a 9.8, then someone buys it, gets a grader who didn't get laid the night before, and it comes back a 9.6. Who's the individual_without_enough_empathy now? I am.

Let's be honest. We've ALL gotten that one book back from cgc with a lower grade than expected and thought WTF was the grader thinking?

That's why I won't sell raws here. I got flak for not selling my Sixth Gun #1 here and rather sold it on eBay but I wasn't about to try and put a grade on that book even though I could provide hi-res scans and state the tiny flaws it had, I'll never tell someone "this is a 9.8" because guess what? You're opinion doesn't mean mess. Its up to the grader, and only the grader. Just hope they're having a good day. Yes they have a set of standards I'm sure, but some of it is subjectivity.

Like I said before as did someone else here - we've all seen a book come back with a grade that makes us say "WTF"?

9.4 !!!! :sumo:

Not every graded 9.8 gets 3x a raw copy.

And some get 5x

I was looking for a balance.

his point was that not all modern books are worth slabbing just because they are a potential 9.8 grade...

Which are only recently the trend. If you are looking for "balance" then the correct statement would be the vast majority of stabbed books barely pay for the grading fees.

Wait....is this a recent policy?

Wait....is this a recent policy?

I cancelled all new Image requests. I took these two new sub requests before this & before I knew what was going on with Panzer. I do this for collectors, not for flippers.

For sellers (especially noobs) to realize the CGC boards specialize to a clientele who appreciate books being sold WITH grades...

I guess I am ranting because I take pride in my ability to grade and the fact that it has taken years to get there. Now every 3rd sales thread is full of books with no grades implied but top dollar asked. It doesn't work that way. New or unshelved does not mean 9.2...

This thread is GD/VF

TBH I was an eager beaver when I started to put my books out there. I would message the buyer to "keep me posted" on the grade the book received if they had it graded because I wanted to know if my eyes were on.I still do this to this day. I quickly got used to the fact that no matter how well you price a book and how much you try and put a fair grade there will usually be no thanks or reaffirmation of your grades. Some people will and some people wont. When i get my next two CGC orders in I will have a greater understanding of grading as I sent in as many different IMO grades as I could so I could study them. Unfortunately for me getting books graded is more a lesson in patience than it is in good business practices.

I always try to grade things one grade below what I actually think it is. I feel I am a pretty good grader for the ultra-high grades, and a decent grader for mid-to-low. It was actually Dre's style of calling his raw 9.8 candidates (but not guarantees) NM+ or better that I modeled my sales thread grading labels after.

If I say NM/MT (9.8), it has no flaws, and could be a 9.9

If I say NM+ or better(9.6), it has no color-breaking flaws, and is virtually assured to be a 9.8 if pressed, possibly 9.8 without it.

If I say NM or better(9.4), it generally has one or max two tiny cb ticks, and likely cant press to 9.8, but might on a lucky day.

If I say NM-(9.2), I am basically saying, no way will it ever get to 9.8, and probably will struggle to get to 9.6 if pressed.

I originally didnt include the "or better" part, but then realized, I dont have a long sales rep and people dont know I grade conservative. I think even when people do give a grade, until they have happy customers people wont really know for sure.

As others have said, always better to under grade and keep people happy. On the flipside, on E-Bay I will NEVER give a grade. Not worth the hassle if they dont agree, on there, its always "see scans".

=====================================

mildly related follow up:

I have been lurking on these boards since the mid 2000s, but only posted in the last year. One thing I think is important to say whenever the "new people" type threads and posts come up, respect is earned. That's my point of view anyway. Even on boards where I am an old school poster.

There are people here posting for 10 years, with 20,000 posts, and 99.9999999% of their posts are just chatting and being obnoxious in Comics General.

Then you look at someone like a " ItsJustRyan", who has a newer "registered" date, but is knowledgeable, polite to everyone, and hits lots of 9.9s to boot. A+ in all the ways that matter in terms of respect on here.

I'd take 1 Ryan, over 50 Comics General, high-post, trash talking n00bs. I do think its good to educate new people in the ways of the board, and experience does matter. But ultimately, respect is earned by deeds and words, not register dates or post counts.

disclaimer, not referring to anyone in this thread, i've had a bad run lately of people misinterpreting my posts to being about them. Just saying, in "general"